Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grammar and punctuation test.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
I did that yesterday 9/14 :down:

TBH unless you're an author there isn't much need to know half of that stuff. However EVERYONE should get the "their, they're, there" question right.

Should be the fit and proper test before being allowed to post on NSC! :lol:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Should be the fit and proper test before being allowed to post on NSC! :lol:

I think NSC would be better served by automatically issuing warnings to anyone that types "would of", "could of" or "should of". A 3 strikes and you're banned approach would probably work best.

Dec 29, 2011
No. That should be an NSC grammar Nazi.

haha, loved that response :) To stop this dragging out any longer, if the word after 'an' starts with a letter than is phonetically a vowel (e.g. EN ES CE) or FBI (EF BE I), it should have 'an' before it.

I got 11/14, but the fact I didn't know many of them (I didn't get taught it) shows how good kids are at taking exams. We're taught to pass exams, that is use all the information we have available without knowing the answer and taking the best guess we can. The education system is f***ed :thumbsup:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
10 for me
and on checking my errors was running at 10 our of 10 - but like the Albion, lost my way in the final third.

Gerund - seriously thought about goggle-ling that but decided my life would be no more fulfilled for knowing - so guessed wrong ...

What are the rules abpout turning a noun into a verb, like texting and googling etc. - are these allowed or slang?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I got 10. Which I was actually quite relieved with. I found it a lot harder than i was expecting. My girlfriend got 4. Quiet right now, she is. Very quiet.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
An old git reminisces …
This is the sort of stuff that was taught in primary schools in my day.

I have no issue with this being taught in school. The new key stage 2 SATS will have spelling and grammar as part of it. The issue I have is that no marking scheme or benchmarks have been supplied for it. There is a political motive to say that spelling and grammar are shocking at school and I suggest that whatever the results achieved, they will likely be manipulated to show that standards are dreadful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here