Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Graham Potter - ruthless

Fozzyboy

Jul 5, 2011
Worthing
There is absolutely no way I’ll be clapping or standing up to cheer him or any of his team. I won’t boo but he has shafted this club rightly or wrongly and much I was a massive fan the timing stinks for me. This was not his one and only lifetime opportunity. He would have been a candidate for every top job as it became available imo. He chose the worst option of the top clubs in this country imo and he has left us in a shit position by taking every single member of the first team coaching squad.

My opinion of him has plummeted.

Brilliant post. I was surprised he didn't hang out for the England job. Lets face it, if Southgate doesn't win the World Cup, he'll be gone. So if we were doing as well as we have been doing, he would have become the ultimate candidate. I don't think anyone would have been so upset him going for the England managers role. I, like most of us feel a bit gutted & let down right now but we'll bounce back. Not so sure Bruno will be so welcome at the club by us fans anymore though which is a shame.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Brilliant post. I was surprised he didn't hang out for the England job. Lets face it, if Southgate doesn't win the World Cup, he'll be gone. So if we were doing as well as we have been doing, he would have become the ultimate candidate. I don't think anyone would have been so upset him going for the England managers role. I, like most of us feel a bit gutted & let down right now but we'll bounce back. Not so sure Bruno will be so welcome at the club by us fans anymore though which is a shame.

Because the England manager job does not pay £60m for a 5 year contract. Southgate is thought to be on £5m a year, Potter (or Potter and his team) is now on £12m a year.

Peter Ward

Dec 5, 2014
out back
Concurring with most of the posts on here. This was all planned well in advance in a very shoddy, mercenary way. My thoughts right now are about our Tony. Was this all a sudden, shocking kick in the teeth or would he have known for some time. As a shrewd strategic gambler he'd have known that this day would arrive, perhaps he knew even before Potter that an offer was coming in and would be planning for it. What is the strategy ?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Concurring with most of the posts on here. This was all planned well in advance in a very shoddy, mercenary way. My thoughts right now are about our Tony. Was this all a sudden, shocking kick in the teeth or would he have known for some time. As a shrewd strategic gambler he'd have known that this day would arrive, perhaps he knew even before Potter that an offer was coming in and would be planning for it. What is the strategy ?
Why do the photo shoot inthe morning if planned?

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Peter Ward

Dec 5, 2014
out back
Why do the photo shoot inthe morning if planned?

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

I guess we'll know soon enough if this all part of Tony's grand plan. Can we all assume that his allegiance is as solid as we thought we had in the management team. Or am I just an old cynic?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Appointment of the new coach & team will tell us……..a quick appointment and we’ll know it was all stitched up ages ago.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I think the demolition of our club management/coaching team shows the reason why he has been so successful at Brighton. He's ruthless. Not a shred of gratitude or acknowledgement of any relationship with Bloom for employing him and Barber for supporting him. He's not only taken all his own toys (Billy, Bjorn, Kyle), but ours too (fan favourites Bruno and Roberts). I presume Crofts, Greer and Weir weren't worth bothering about.

Quite clearly he won't hesitate to come back in January for some our stars too. Of course, I may be wrong, but I doubt it. Like a spurned lover taking everything he can from the end of a relationship. At least now, I can hope they all fail and we march on in to Europe.

Only caceido & maybe sanchez are worth buying. Macca & trossard aren't good enough & nor is anyone else. Which is a relief

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Only caceido & maybe sanchez are worth buying. Macca & trossard aren't good enough & nor is anyone else. Which is a relief

Macca is 23 and his improvement over the last 6 months has been amazing. Maybe he is playing for his place in the Argentinian WC first eleven but what ever the guy is a lot better than you have said.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Macca is 23 and his improvement over the last 6 months has been amazing. Maybe he is playing for his place in the Argentinian WC first eleven but what ever the guy is a lot better than you have said.

I'm saying he's not good enough for Chelsea, man u, city, Liverpool
(& I'm quite happy about that)

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
Of course it was inevitabe at some point. No problems with that, sooner or later it was going to happen. in Well under 48 hours? And there was no secret tapping up/plotting?

longstanding GK coach and former club captain, both given fantastic opportunities here, one of whom claimed "once a seagull", both found out only as GP did and they've all just consulted families and walked out in under 2 days leaving virtually nobody including the young Spainish players.

Thats zero duty of care..... at no point, as the ker ching, £ signs are flashing before their eyes did one stop (and heres looking especially at Bruno) say how about I join you, but I'll ask the club first if they want me to wait on a few weeks/month until a new team is found, so as not to leave the club and any players with nothing at all, very instantly?

Obviously not. They f*cked Tony and the club over at the first opportunirty, without zero consideration for the mess they would levae behind. Gutted the lot for personal gain, It couldve been more orderly, with a touch of respect or duty of care. For all the bull$hit talk, Boehlys billions shone the light on real integrity.

It was savage by Bruno. This was a pre planned coup of our entire set up and f*** the consequences, we're rich.

Good post PW. I am now wondering if we all misinterpreted Bruno’s Spanish accent in his moving farewell speech and that he actually said “Once I see gold….”! :wink:

For the entire group to have resigned en masse so quickly suggests that this was all under negotiation with Chelsea for quite a while, although that’s to be expected I guess – "poaching" happens in all walks of corporate life.

I’m more upset with the timing, just when the club was on an upward trajectory enjoying a spell of excellent form and playing some of the best football we’ve ever seen from the Albion, with real prospects of improvement on last season’s 9th placed finish. As at today, with the news of Chelsea's "coup" still fresh and painful, I can't help but feel this may potentially unsettle our squad - although I very much hope that I am proved wrong.

I know “it’s business” and all that, and that everyone who’s leaving will, understandably, be looking after their own personal career and family interests, but it hurts nevertheless and I personally feel they’ve been rather disloyal to TB, who has backed all of them to the hilt (as far as we know). In the club's official announcement TB said he was "very disappointed" which I think most of us read as diplomatic-speak for "f****** apoplectic" !

We’ll all get behind whoever is eventually appointed as the new manager, and provide total support to Andrew Crofts and his team in the interim, but this is a kick in the teeth for the club and for TB personally and I sincerely hope that the players – especially the recent arrivals at the club – aren’t fazed by this and that it’ll be business as usual when the fixtures resume.

BUT, we are Seagulls and we have seen it all! We’ve faced worse upsets in the past and have all pulled through together. We’re in as good a place as we can be at the moment and with TB and PB at the helm I am optimistic that we’ll come though this latest challenge okay. In TB I trust!

UTA :ascarf:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Good post PW. I am now wondering if we all misinterpreted Bruno’s Spanish accent in his moving farewell speech and that he actually said “Once I see gold….”! :wink:

For the entire group to have resigned en masse so quickly suggests that this was all under negotiation with Chelsea for quite a while, although that’s to be expected I guess – "poaching" happens in all walks of corporate life.

I’m more upset with the timing, just when the club was on an upward trajectory enjoying a spell of excellent form and playing some of the best football we’ve ever seen from the Albion, with real prospects of improvement on last season’s 9th placed finish. As at today, with the news of Chelsea's "coup" still fresh and painful, I can't help but feel this may potentially unsettle our squad - although I very much hope that I am proved wrong.

I know “it’s business” and all that, and that everyone who’s leaving will, understandably, be looking after their own personal career and family interests, but it hurts nevertheless and I personally feel they’ve been rather disloyal to TB, who has backed all of them to the hilt (as far as we know). In the club's official announcement TB said he was "very disappointed" which I think most of us read as diplomatic-speak for "f****** apoplectic" !

We’ll all get behind whoever is eventually appointed as the new manager, and provide total support to Andrew Crofts and his team in the interim, but this is a kick in the teeth for the club and for TB personally and I sincerely hope that the players – especially the recent arrivals at the club – aren’t fazed by this and that it’ll be business as usual when the fixtures resume.

BUT, we are Seagulls and we have seen it all! We’ve faced worse upsets in the past and have all pulled through together. We’re in as good a place as we can be at the moment and with TB and PB at the helm I am optimistic that we’ll come though this latest challenge okay. In TB I trust!

UTA :ascarf:

Hardcore Chelsea-supporting mate (only missed two games, including all European matches home and away, since the mid-70s) told me on Weds morning that they already knew what was happening before the Zagreb match. Tuchel was out and Potter had been lined-up as his successor for a while.

This makes sense when you consider the speed of the exits. I reckon everyone knew and had already talked to their families etc. Which makes me wonder if Bloom also knew and had already been talking to potential replacements.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Hardcore Chelsea-supporting mate (only missed two games, including all European matches home and away, since the mid-70s) told me on Weds morning that they already knew what was happening before the Zagreb match. Tuchel was out and Potter had been lined-up as his successor for a while.

This makes sense when you consider the speed of the exits. I reckon everyone knew and had already talked to their families etc. Which makes me wonder if Bloom also knew and had already been talking to potential replacements.
If so, our new replacement shouldn't be far away and we can move on with our lives.

Can we all prepare ourselves for the fact that if the new manager does well, eventually the football world will notice (getting into the top ten usually does it) and one of a bigger club will take them. FWIW this is exactly what we are about to do to someone else. Whatever they say and how ever much they kiss the badge and play the game, this is unlikely to change.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

If Chelsea took contact with GP before Tuchel was sacked, Brighton would be suing Chelsea for x millions and it wasnt happening.

Tony was likely caught off guard, or the club would have a new manager ready almost instantly. That is clearly not the case.

No one thought Tuchel would get sacked this soon, and no one thought Chelsea would go for GP rather than some big international name.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Quote from the times today

Chelsea are targeting a defensive midfielder during the January transfer window

Gulp

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Ruthless