Google Nexus 7

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Happy days, just a quick bounce to say, how much I am enjoying my new shiny gadget. Spent a tenner on a leather folding case and about 20 quid on apps, including an office suite and New Star Soccer and couldn't be happier. Very convenient size for commuting

Skinthead

Jul 26, 2004
There Abouts
Had mine about 3 weeks now & have to say s a great bit of kit! .
Can't put it down & haven't been on the laptop for ages, its just so much
Easier to use & such a good size to hold, graphics are great & is very fast.
Overall very impressed.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I got myself the 16GB version this week and absolutely love it.

At £199 (including £15 quid of Google Play store credit), it's a budget pricetag for what feels and works like anything but a budget piece of kit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FFS [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION] why did you have to bounce this thread.
I keep forgetting I NEEEEEEED a tablet, I was better off when you started your own thread!.

Right I've read through this thread again, and I still don't understand, but hopefully I'm getting nearer.

If I neeeeeed t'internet anywhere, I could buy a google Nexus 7, for £200

But because it's only wifi, and I have no smart phone, or contract I will also need to update it to 3G with one of these:-
New Three 3 Pay As You Go Mobile Broadband Sim Card 3GB Data for 90 Days | eBay

That will cost me £12.67.

There will be more questions to follow, so please keep your answers simple, we'll get through this a lot quicker.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't apologise, answer the bloody question :lol:

You very nearly got a long and whining PM about your new toy, and my failings to get my head around new tech.
Luckily I saw the error of my ways and threw myself back into this thread, in the hope people will realise I'm just stoooopid and not taking the pi$$.

Anyway one thing you can answer, if the boffins here can help me, where did you get yours from?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good piece of kit, when I'm away from home I tether it to my smart phone, works very nicely.
Right that doesn't help ME, does it Daddies.
Remember this is now all about me me me, we are now all concentrating on helping the man in the bobble hat. ME. :lol:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I keep forgetting I NEEEEEEED a tablet, I was better off when you started your own thread!.

Right I've read through this thread again, and I still don't understand, but hopefully I'm getting nearer.

But because it's only wifi, and I have no smart phone, or contract I will also need to update it to 3G with one of these:-

There will be more questions to follow, so please keep your answers simple, we'll get through this a lot quicker.

Have just got my nexus 7. I don't think there's anywhere to insert a simple card so your idea won't work.

Have to say that I'm really liking it apart from one major thing - no flash support so no iplayer and the like. Also, no sky go support and it doesn't landscape unless forced to do so by an app.

However, these things should all be sorted in time and at £159 its great value compared to an ipad.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So how would you access t'internet when out and about WITHOUT tethering it to a smart phone/contract.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

I'm not sure, is the simple answer.

Purely on the grounds that there's nowhere in it to put said SIM card.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You just said:-

I don't think there's anywhere to insert a simple card so your idea won't work

This isn't going to work if you think now's a great time to play:-
confuse the window licker :lol:

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
Have just got my nexus 7. I don't think there's anywhere to insert a simple card so your idea won't work.

Have to say that I'm really liking it apart from one major thing - no flash support so no iplayer and the like. Also, no sky go support and it doesn't landscape unless forced to do so by an app.

However, these things should all be sorted in time and at £159 its great value compared to an ipad.

Installing Adobe Flash on Android Jelly Bean devices | IT PRO Tutorials

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Anyway one thing you can answer, if the boffins here can help me, where did you get yours from?

I got mine direct from Google.

Ordered it Friday lunchtime, with an estimate of 3-5 working days for delivery. It arrived on Monday morning.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If we don't get this sorted tonight, we'll all be back when the next person bounces this thread, and I remember I NEEEEEED a tablet.

But I then remember as enticing as 'only' £200 is, I don't want to spiral that because of having to shell out x,y & z to make it work for me, because I don't know what I'm doing.

Last edited:

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
If you only going to use it occasionally you could buy http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phones/phones/phoneDetails.jsp?productId=prod3300155 or something cheap like that and use that as a hotspot using a pay as you go Sim ( I think )

Edit: if you get a cheap android phone on 3 with WiFi on pay as you go could use the 3 Sim mentioned earlier. Phone needs to be android 2.2 and above ( which all new phones should be) with WiFi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcN7G8aaCdA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports