Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] God save the Queen.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
As Parliament is all powerful, if you scrap the Monarchy why replace it with anything? I very much doubt that any elected President or similar would be able to keep their traps firmly shut in public in the face of the adversity that the Monarchy has had or keep their noses out of Politics. President Beckham/Rylan/Danny Dyer/Alex Scott/President McPresidentFace - not for me thanks.

God save the Queen.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
On what criteria do you rate monarchs?
If it's on the basis of the influence and control of the UK over the rest of the world then she gets nowhere near Elizabeth I or, the mummy of them all, Victoria. In fact, under her stewardship we've lost most of the great empire "on which the sun never sets" (until she gave it away).

She’s a constitutional monarch. She can’t actually really do much.

And anyway, if we hadn’t “let go” most of the Empire, they would have opted out anyway.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
On what criteria do you rate monarchs?
If it's on the basis of the influence and control of the UK over the rest of the world then she gets nowhere near Elizabeth I or, the mummy of them all, Victoria. In fact, under her stewardship we've lost most of the great empire "on which the sun never sets" (until she gave it away).

A pedant says Elizabeth 1 couldn’t be a monarch of the U.K. Her cousin was Queen of Scots.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Woman in sparkly hat sits on chair for decades :shrug:

Hahahahahahahaha...! So many embarrassing simpering comments on here about the wonderful job she has done, but I'd like to see the evidence. She hasn't even managed to direct her own children to lead meaningful productive lives. All they have accomplished is to sustain their privilege.

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Being born the day after the Queen took over she has been a very steady constant in my life, despite leaving England many years ago - whilst understanding the desire to get rid of privilige of much of the establishment, Eton & the lot (epitomised by the current dreadul lying PM) be careful what you wish for - all political systems have awful privilged elites. Certainly nearly 30 years of living under different Presidents here in Mexico and their hangers on - especially the current one, has made me appreciate the benefits of a consitutional monarchy.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think we’ve all had enough of the epitome of upper class, white inherited privilege that is personified in the royal family.

Why bring colour into this? Bit racist?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think you will find that she did RATHER more than that...

She surely can't have much more time and it will be interesting to see how the UK deals with her death.

UK will have larger influences from daily and international politics than the monarch. any moral and cultral guidance from there has long gone. Charles seems an OK, well meaning chap, i dont see he'll do much different than being custodian of the crown. until there is some meaningful impact on daily lives we'll carry on with this arrangement.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
As good a place as any to post this tweet.

[tweet]1490286999898669057[/tweet]

All the best Brenda :thumbsup:

A good point, excepting that parliament is all powerful anyway.

The monarchy, I have contrasting views. Firstly it is an outdated, odd, and oppressive (in idea rather than practice) concept. It re-enforces the elite nature of our governance. Unelected, and unaccountable. In the words of the peasant in Monty Python's Holy Grail upon meeting KIng Arthur... 'King, eh ? how do you get that then ? I didn't vote for you' Folk have realised nowadays that no-one has such right. The holding on to the monarchy is a symbolic re-enforcement.

As for Elizabeth though, an outstanding woman. Impeccable in service, one to be admired. I will respect her until her comes. She is worthy of honour.

But when here time does come, so should time be called on the whole institution.

" I will respect her until her comes " - show a bit of respect for a woman of her age.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I think you will find that she did RATHER more than that...

She surely can't have much more time and it will be interesting to see how the UK deals with her death.

Yep you're right. She also raised a nonce.

Well done.

EDIT: I'll leave it here but would like to retract. It isn't her fault.

Last edited:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I don't mind the Queen herself, she does a good job and seems like a good egg

The whole system does need an overhaul though in my opinion, that goes for the monarchy and government

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Unfortunately, with our dimbot electorate, it will probably be President Johnson.

Johnson is an appalling person and I truly despise him. Under our fptp system the alternative in 2019 was that commie Corbyn however. This shouldn't be forgotten.

It appears that system and the whole two party thing is the problem - see also USA where scumbags can take over an entire party.

Of course the real winners here are the Chinese and Russian regimes, those guys must be peeing themselves laughing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here