[News] God save the Queen.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Meh. The last true King of England was Harold Godwinson, murdered in 1066 attempting to prevent England from being subsumed into an early, French-dominated, version of the EU. Since then we've been ruled by the French, the Welsh, the Scots, the Dutch and the Germans.

However even though I've been a staunch Republican for decades, yes, fair play to the old bird; there's no one else I'd rather have launching ships and meeting foreign leaders. And of course recently she's completely shown up that lying **** in Number 10, so if nothing else she sets an example of how to behave in a crisis. Let's end it with her though, eh?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Meh. The last true King of England was Harold Godwinson, murdered in 1066 attempting to prevent England from being subsumed into an early, French-dominated, version of the EU. Since then we've been ruled by the French, the Welsh, the Scots, the Dutch and the Germans.

However even though I've been a staunch Republican for decades, yes, fair play to the old bird; there's no one else I'd rather have launching ships and meeting foreign leaders. And of course recently she's completely shown up that lying **** in Number 10, so if nothing else she sets an example of how to behave in a crisis. Let's end it with her though, eh?

Normans, not French.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
On what criteria do you rate monarchs?
If it's on the basis of the influence and control of the UK over the rest of the world then she gets nowhere near Elizabeth I or, the mummy of them all, Victoria. In fact, under her stewardship we've lost most of the great empire "on which the sun never sets" (until she gave it away).

The role of the monarch has changed. No longer are they the leader of the gang with the royal prerogative (to do what they damned well like). We live today in a parliamentary democracy where the chance to rule is granted by the people, is temporary, and the scope of office is limited by laws.

I have no time for gods or kings, but I understand that they both provide comfort to the huddled masses, and who am I to deny such succour? So, rather like the Hippocratic oath that guides physicians, my rule for monarchs is 'do no harm'. And I consider ERII to be rather like the earth, as described in Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If it's on the basis of the influence and control of the UK over the rest of the world then she gets nowhere near Elizabeth I or, the mummy of them all, Victoria. In fact, under her stewardship we've lost most of the great empire "on which the sun never sets" (until she gave it away).

The empire morphed into the Commonwealth which consists of 43 countries, 15 of which the Queen is head of state.

As serving personnel and veterans would say, congratulations to the Boss.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
The best monarch ever but sadly won’t be the last.

This is the century where the monarch will be replaced by a president, hopefully with the great capabilities, honour, integrity and judgement of the present (and one off) Queen.

Yeah ... cus that works really well in the good old US of A!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is the century where the monarch will be replaced by a president, hopefully with the great capabilities, honour, integrity and judgement of the present (and one off) Queen.

If we spread the net worldwide very very few have those attributes. I think the chances are very very slim of us getting better than a sleeze ball of some description

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The best monarch ever but sadly won’t be the last.

She has very, very few faults but one, unfortunately, is the habit to breed ‘total idiot offspring’. Surely Charles will crash the monarchy?

I think we’ve all had enough of the epitome of upper class, white inherited privilege that is personified in the royal family. Talentless chancers like Boris the Liar and Andrew the Liar who lie and lie and lie to the British people but expect respect, power and privilege in return.

Would that be like a lot of the other Presidents across the world? I hope not. Charles has mellowed and I have a lot of time for William, as he has for the rest of humanity. The monarchy is in good hands and I would hope that they can sort out the bad apples and keep them in the shadows.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I don't think the Queen had much choice in the matter, and to me the acquisition of an empire, or at least the manner of doing so, rather than the relinquishing of an empire, was the crime. WW1 was the most significant factor in the relinquishing of the British Empire, and then WW2. Lizzie was not on the throne till 1952. The Balfour Declaration of 1926 created The British Commonwealth, and The Queen did well in maintaining good relations with the UK mostly for all those within it.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yeah ... cus that works really well in the good old US of A!

It’s the system of democracy that is broke. In America, you normally have the choice of a wealthy right of centre President or a wealthy right wing President.

FPTP and ‘Democrats or Republicans’ or ‘Tories or Labour’ is a truly shit way to elect our leaders. No wonder the worst US President (now gone but replaced with a dribbling numpty) in history and the worst British PM (who lied to the Queen FFS) have held or are holding power.

The whole system needs an overhaul. For what it’s worth, I think it should look something resembling a mash-up of tinder and Plato’s republic.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
For all those wanting to move away from a monarchy just consider how happy you would have been with Johnson as president

A good point, excepting that parliament is all powerful anyway.

The monarchy, I have contrasting views. Firstly it is an outdated, odd, and oppressive (in idea rather than practice) concept. It re-enforces the elite nature of our governance. Unelected, and unaccountable. In the words of the peasant in Monty Python's Holy Grail upon meeting KIng Arthur... 'King, eh ? how do you get that then ? I didn't vote for you' Folk have realised nowadays that no-one has such right. The holding on to the monarchy is a symbolic re-enforcement.

As for Elizabeth though, an outstanding woman. Impeccable in service, one to be admired. I will respect her until her time comes. She is worthy of honour.

But when here time does come, so should time be called on the whole institution.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Let’s see if we can all keep this civil, we certainly do not want the usual suspects condemning this to the pit.
Once again Boss, thanks for 70 years of faultless service.

She's got you on ignore.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It’s the system of democracy that is broke. In America, you normally have the choice of a wealthy right of centre President or a wealthy right wing President.

FPTP and ‘Democrats or Republicans’ or ‘Tories or Labour’ is a truly shit way to elect our leaders. No wonder the worst US President (now gone but replaced with a dribbling numpty) in history and the worst British PM (who lied to the Queen FFS) have held or are holding power.

The whole system needs an overhaul. For what it’s worth, I think it should look something resembling a mash-up of tinder and Plato’s republic.

Spent many hours pondering on a better way, every way has pitfalls as far as I can think through. But even picking people at random, like Jury service, to form a government, would be incredibly unlucky to find such a bunch of self serving ***** as we have in charge at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports