GLitch on 'Next' Website. Could save you lots of money on a sofa

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
If a shop miss-prices something, it has to fulfil that price if you buy it before they change it.

Different rules for online retailers.

Not a binding contract until they've taken money and shipped item.

Zero chance of getting this.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Guys I know it's worth a shot but these are simply 'order confirmation' emails. It means nothing! They cover this kind of thing in the terms and conditions. Do not get your hopes up.

Your rights: pricing disputes
Your rights

Summary

A quick summary of your rights:
Prices must be clear and accurate
If goods are wrongly priced by mistake, you don’t have a right to buy at that price
When you're shopping, whether it's for groceries, an expensive new television or a holiday, you have a right to expect the prices you see to be accurate and clear. There shouldn't be hidden extras, or bogus claims about price reductions. But that doesn't mean that a shop always has to sell you something for a price you've seen.

Your right to know the total price

Retailers must display total prices clearly and accurately. Prices must include VAT (except in advertising aimed primarily at business customers) and any additional costs, such as delivery, must be clearly displayed.
The same principle applies to holidays. Any extra charges that you can't avoid, such as airport taxes or transfer fees, should be included in the total price.
The law applies to prices shown on products, on shelves, or in catalogues or advertisements, and online. It also applies to prices given over the phone.

If prices are advertised incorrectly

It is against the law for a trader to deliberately give misleading or wrong prices, and they can be prosecuted for doing this.
However, if the price of a product is just simply wrongly labelled you don't automatically get to buy it for that price. For example, if a TV worth £599 has accidentally been labelled as £5.99 you don't, unfortunately, have a right to buy it for £5.99.
A retailer's right to refuse to sell
When a retailer displays a product for sale, legally it is giving you 'an invitation to treat', which means it is inviting you to make an offer to buy. The retailer can refuse that offer if it decides that it doesn't want to sell you the goods. To have a legally-binding contract the retailer must have accepted your offer to buy. So your rights depend on where in the sale process you are.

Before you pay

If you take a wrongly-priced item to the till and the assistant spots it, they can refuse to sell it to you for that price. If you order an item on the internet, you don't have a legally-binding contract until the retailer has contacted you to confirm the order. If the wrong price is spotted before the retailer confirms the order, they do not have to sell to you at that price.

After your order has been accepted

If your offer has been accepted (for example, you pay a deposit, or receive a confirmation email), generally you can insist that the retailer sells you the goods for the price they were advertised at.
If the retailer wants to charge you more, you may be able to buy the same item elsewhere and claim against the original trader for the difference in price. To do this you should write to the retailer in the first instance, explaining what you are doing. If it doesn't agree to refund you the money, you will normally then have to take a claim to the small claims court.

The trader could try to argue that it made a mistake with the pricing which could make the contract void. But it would have to show that the price was so low that you must have known it was not genuine: for example, a new leather jacket with a price tag of £2 on it.

After the transaction is completed

If a retailer sells you something at the wrong price, the transaction is completed and you have your goods, it can't insist that you pay the extra at a later date.
Price comparisons with other stores
Many stores give price comparisons so show how much the same goods would cost if you bought them elsewhere. Traders must make sure that comparisons are accurate, current and for exactly the same products.
Share, boo

Read more: Your rights - Your rights: pricing disputes - Sale of goods - Which? Consumer Rights
Consumer Champions Which?
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial

I understand the T&C's but and a big but my email and I assume others are the same state as the subject "Order confirmation" which are the exact words used above in the Which article.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
from the next website

Prices

The prices quoted are those ruling at the time of production. Due to circumstances beyond our control, prices may have to be altered up or down, including any alterations to the rate of value added tax. The correct price will be shown when you place your order. All prices shown are cash prices in sterling. Prices of goods displayed in and ordered through the Directory may differ from prices in store.

Usage

All products are sold on the basis that they are suitable for domestic use only. Please contact us for further information if you intend using any products in a business or public environment.

Availability

All orders for products are subject to availability. In the event of seasonal supply difficulties of fresh flowers we reserve the right to substitute flowers and packaging of equal quality and value. For champagne or wine , vintages and labels may vary from those shown.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Different rules for online retailers.

Not a binding contract until they've taken money and shipped item.

Zero chance of getting this.

Not if bought on a credit card, I'd get a chargeback done as I had confirmation of the order for that value. They can legally action a chargeback for the difference as per THEIR T+C's with the merchant.

There have been precedents before that weren't fulfilled though.

http://www.ed-u.com/online-price-mistakes.htm

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've just ordered 2 of them, transaction has gone through, confirmation sent by email to me. Would be surprised to get them, and will expect a call saying there has been an error, but if they do turn up, wow, bargain of the year already!

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Yes you all have ORDER CONFIRMATION. If they have actually taken the money from your account you MAY have a chance but don't you all think massive companies like NEXT have plans in place for 'human error'
As I said earlier, I have, many times jumped on these sort of glitches and EVERY SINGLE TIME they refer to the Human error condition. You WILL NOT get this sofa at a cheap price!

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne
Even if they say they wont honour the deal, kick up a fuss and you'll prob get some vouchers or what not. Better than nowt

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Even if they say they wont honour the deal, kick up a fuss and you'll prob get some vouchers or what not. Better than nowt

No, because all this is covered In the terms and conditions. You are entitled to f*** ALL!
Don't mean to sound negative but this is common Knowledge in retail

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No, because all this is covered In the terms and conditions. You are entitled to f*** ALL!

I do agree with you, and am sure they will not be shipping £600 sofas for £50 each whether just 2 ordered, or because of this thread 12 or so. That's £7k worth of sofa ordered last night for £1k, it won't even cover their shipping!

I'd tip the delivery guys if they did miraculously arrive though!

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Just called next after seeing on my credit card bill that I was going to be charged £1100 for them and they said they have spoken to their solicitors and they don't have to send the sofas.

Game over.....

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Stuff like this is hardly ever honoured. The only time I've had something honoured was a bluray boxset of Star Trek films for £5 rather than £150 - I didn't even want it, I only bought it to sell on

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
my recent sales show £101.99 on my next account and because it went over my amount of available credit on there, i had to pay £10, which has been processed on my credit card. no indication of a request for £1100 at all, will wait and see, worst thing is they cancel them

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
my recent sales show £101.99 on my next account and because it went over my amount of available credit on there, i had to pay £10, which has been processed on my credit card. no indication of a request for £1100 at all, will wait and see, worst thing is they cancel them

There is no way they can increase the amount chargeable to your credit card, I think that was a bit of a wind up. The most likely action is a communication to say there's been an error giving you the opportunity to purchase the items for the actual price (but perhaps with a slight additional discount for the inconvenience), or a cancellation and no charge to your card.

It would be illegal for them to charge the card the full amount when the transaction was completed for a lower figure regardless of whether that was an error. They would need your authorisation to do that.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

And you got charged £10 for the priviledge :facepalm:, you're not interested in buying an empty box are you, I know somebody on here that would sell you one.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
And you got charged £10 for the priviledge :facepalm:, you're not interested in buying an empty box are you, I know somebody on here that would sell you one.

its a deposit as my next account available credit limit wouldnt cover the purchase online - limit was £100 on there, so had to cover the difference. in consumer rights etc, i believe someone mentioned that its not a sale until the first payment has been received in relation to the items ordered. This £10 payment is in relation to the sofa's and s showing on my credit card bill, so I assume unless told otherwise that this may go through. and as i did say, if it doesnt, the order cancelled and the extra £10 i deposited will bet put back on my next account to spend or refunded. so no gazwag i am not purchasing an empty box as such!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
its a deposit as my next account available credit limit wouldnt cover the purchase online - limit was £100 on there. they havent changed my credit card limit and never said that bold seagull. in consumer rights etc, i believe someone mentioned that its not a sale until the first payment has been received in relation to the items ordered. This £10 payment is in relation to the sofa's and s showing on my credit card bill, so I assume unless told otherwise that this may go through. and as i did say, if it doesnt, the order cancelled and the extra £10 i deposited will bet put back on my next account to spend or refunded. so no gazwag i am not purchasing an empty box as such!

When I said wind up I meant in relation to dadams2k11 post not yours.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Of course they aren't binded into giving you anything, however, if you kick up enough of a fuss they do tend to give up a £5 voucher or similar just for you to go away. Nothing ventured nothing gained and all that. Such is life if they don't give you anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports