Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glen murray?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Must rank as the club's biggest mistake over a player in recent years. There was a very strong case to have re-signed him in the summer. I think it's hard to think of a better fit for the Albion in wake of Ulloa's departure and remains what Albion desperately need. Now we don't know if Palace would have sold him to us but the money was there and his wages could have been off-set against those the club is paying out to players who have failed to make an impact and now reportedly want to get rid of in the case of Chris O Grady or poor Toko, who can't even make the first team squad. What a shame.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can someone just confirm something for me please.

Is the Glen Murray being talked about here the same Glen Murray that played for the Albion at the Withdean?

It's just at the time the Albion Murray was routinely derided as being lazy, workshy, selfish etc.
The same player that only ever put in a shift when it was contract negotiation time, and spent the rest of the time wanting away from the club.

It would seem unlikely that player is the same one who has been eulogised on here for the last couple of years.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Is the Glen Murray being talked about here the same Glen Murray that played for the Albion at the Withdean?

It's just at the time the Albion Murray was routinely derided as being lazy, workshy, selfish etc.
The same player that only ever put in a shift when it was contract negotiation time, and spent the rest of the time wanting away from the club.

It would seem unlikely that player is the same one who has been eulogised on here for the last couple of years.

Brighton fans in short memory shocker.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Totally agree with this - as per my earlier post.

You've forgotten the feigned hysteria about him not clapping the fans; wasn't there something unlikely and equally trivial about his girlfriend/wife too?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Brighton fans in short memory shocker.
I can assure you memories will come flooding back the moment Murray fails to score 5 (five) in a game.

It also won't be a shocker for Burker to prove his incompetence by signing such a useless lump.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I can assure you memories will come flooding back the moment Murray fails to score 5 (five) in a game.

It also won't be a shocker for Burker to prove his incompetence by signing such a useless lump.

And naturally if/when it happens then it'll be a transfer masterstroke by Bloom.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Murray had that great season for Palace because they played to his strengths. How many of his goals were crosses into the far post? Much as I would love to see him back here, under the current management team we would not play to his strengths.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Murray had that great season for Palace because they played to his strengths. How many of his goals were crosses into the far post? Much as I would love to see him back here, under the current management team we would not play to his strengths.

True. Zaha fell over all the time and Glenn tucked away all the penalties.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
are Blooms comments in today's argus article on Halford, really code for "yes we'd like Murray?"

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/11696571.Hughton_facing_battle_to_bring_Halford_back_to_Albion/

Albion chairman Tony Bloom refused to discuss whether there is interest in re-signing Sussex-based Palace centre-forward Glenn Murray, two-goal wrecker of the Seagulls on loan to Reading on Boxing Day.

Bloom said: “It wouldn’t be fair to talk about individual players. It puts pressure on either the player or the recruitment team. We’re looking at lots of possibilities but so are a lot of other clubs. It will be an interesting January. The two main areas for us are midfield and up front.”

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
are Blooms comments in today's argus article on Halford, really code for "yes we'd like Murray?"

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/11696571.Hughton_facing_battle_to_bring_Halford_back_to_Albion/

Albion chairman Tony Bloom refused to discuss whether there is interest in re-signing Sussex-based Palace centre-forward Glenn Murray, two-goal wrecker of the Seagulls on loan to Reading on Boxing Day.

Bloom said: “It wouldn’t be fair to talk about individual players. It puts pressure on either the player or the recruitment team. We’re looking at lots of possibilities but so are a lot of other clubs. It will be an interesting January. The two main areas for us are midfield and up front.”

The club don't do their business via the press so I doubt it's 'code' for anything. We may go for Murray, we may not but our track record over the last few years would suggest they won't announce targets in the papers!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The club don't do their business via the press so I doubt it's 'code' for anything. We may go for Murray, we may not but our track record over the last few years would suggest they won't announce targets in the papers!
That and the fact that Hughton will have some say, so I don't suppose Bloom knows who we want yet.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It will have been part of the interview process. " who would you realistically like us to sign to improve the current squad"?
Hughton has made a point of saying he has some knowledge of our squad and has been watching a lot of (mainly) Championship football this season.

Indeed I have a bit of a suspicion that he was sounded out while Sami was still here. He certainly knew he had the job last Sunday it seems

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Well, we bl00dy well should be interested in Muzza IMHO. Doesn't mean we'll get him, but he would be a perfect fit.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
In the press conference it was stated that we are 'ahead of the game' in terms of transfer activity. Well that makes a change! Hopefully we can get 3/4 quality players in to replace the outgoing loans

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here