Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glen murray?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not worth that christ we gave him away

Err, he's worth easily that. A striker who will consistently get (and lay on) goals in the Championship?! Jordan Rhodes went for £8m. IMO Murray is a better all-round player.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
IMHO he is not worth anywhere near that.

Strikers who can hold up the ball intelligently and score and assist consistently are absolute GOLD DUST in the Championship. Very few of them exist. Ulloa was one - he's now one of the top scorers in the Prem. Murray is another. It's the EXACT player/type of player we are missing, and absolutely desperate for. Sometimes you need to break the bank to get a bit of quality in that will guarantee you points.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Err, he's worth easily that. A striker who will consistently get (and lay on) goals in the Championship?! Jordan Rhodes went for £8m. IMO Murray is a better all-round player.

Murray is 31 years old, with no resale value.

Rhodes went for £8m at the age of 22 (having scored 36 league goals the previous season).

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Strikers who can hold up the ball intelligently and score and assist consistently are absolute GOLD DUST in the Championship. Very few of them exist. Ulloa was one - he's now one of the top scorers in the Prem. Murray is another. It's the EXACT player/type of player we are missing, and absolutely desperate for. Sometimes you need to break the bank to get a bit of quality in that will guarantee you points.

Ulloa started with a few 'six yard box' headers but it appears that now his limitations have been exposed, but as you say that is in the Premier League. Murray is getting on, suffered a bad injury and I would assume his salary is beyond us right now.
All that in the mixer and I would rather bring a lesser light through during our transition in the hope of another Ulloa in terms of making a few quid rather than do a Notts. Forrest and watch the wheels come off after spending too much for your level.

Just my own view like.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Values are relative. He may well be worth £3.5m to Derby. I suspect they will go up anyway but he would definitely assist in that regard and the £3.5m then looks money well spent.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
£3.5m is a lot of money for a player on the wrong side of 30 who despite a good start is still coming back from a severe injury... Let's see how he does until Jan before making a judgement. £1m is a more likely value in my opinion.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Murray is 31 years old, with no resale value.

Rhodes went for £8m at the age of 22 (having scored 36 league goals the previous season).

If he stayed with us for 2-3 years and helped get the team up to the Prem (quite possible, he's done it before with a certain other side), I think he'd be worth it somehow. For me it's worth a gamble, he's settled here and we NEED a player of this type, and I can't think of many others off the top of me head.

As I said, I think Glenn's all-round game is definitely superior to Rhodes', and would cause far more goals for the team. He laid about 10 goals on a plate for Barnesy in the promotion season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We didn't give him away. His contract had expired and he ceased to be our player before he went to Palace.

We made him a derisory contract offer from the sounds of things. We basically gave him away. But don't worry it was worth it cos we got CMS who runs around a lot.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Twas but a joke, and I do agree 3.5 is a maybe a fair price. Having said that he did have a some what baron first season for Palace. I would prefer another selection or choice as if he did come back he would be on a hiding to nothing with our fans and their unrealistic expectation levels.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If he stayed with us for 2-3 years and helped get the team up to the Prem (quite possible, he's done it before with a certain other side), I think he'd be worth it somehow. For me it's worth a gamble, he's settled here and we NEED a player of this type, and I can't think of many others off the top of me head.

As I said, I think Glenn's all-round game is definitely superior to Rhodes', and would cause far more goals for the team. He laid about 10 goals on a plate for Barnesy in the promotion season.

I'm not disagreeing with you. Just providing some context to your comparison in Rhodes and Murray's respective values.

FWIW I am absolutely CERTAIN that there is no way Bloom will be writing out a cheque to Crystal Palace to sign Glenn Murray.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In retrospect - and with hindsight! - yes it probably WOULD have been worth spending the extra money to keep Murray. But we didn't; that was three years ago, and he's the wrong side of thirty now. Spending three and a half million quid to try and put right a misjudgement from three years ago would not be good business, IMHO.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Everybody knows that Rhodes doesn't have much of an all round game. But when you seem to have the instinct to be in the right place, 95% of the time, it's as near a guarantee of goals as you'll ever get in football. He's young, a full international, and has stepped up every time he's been asked to.

Murray may well be a more complete footballer in terms of his ability to hold it up as well as stick it in the net, but he's not a guarantee of success. Look at Reading. Since they've signed him on loan, they've dropped like a stone and gone right out of form (not suggesting that's Murray's fault, as I think he's chipped in with his share of effort and goals, but the point is, he's by no means a passport to team success).

There is no way on this earth that the Albion would fork out over three million quid for a striker in his thirties with a serious knee injury behind him, one good Championship season in his entire career, and one Premier League goal (a penalty) to his name.

I love the bloke: if he was available on the cheap, I'd be more than happy to see him back, but I can understand perfectly why the Albion wouldn't be interested at the current asking price, and I'd agree with them.

For what it's worth, on your point about Derby: they're in an entirely different position to us. They're already a really good side, playing well and on form, who only missed out on promotion last season by the narrowest of margins. By taking a punt on Murray, they'd simply be adding a little boost to an already confident side, the final piece in the jigsaw if you like. He'd probably slot right in and do well straight away, so the gamble would be well worth it (and his wages wouldn't be an issue if he got them up). We, on the other hand, are struggling, and it would be harder for him to make an impact. His wages- which I would imagine are somewhere up and over the £20k per week mark- would be a big issue, and if he doesn't hit the ground running, would also be a stick with which to beat him. For some idiots anyway.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
£3.5m is not a lot to pay if it results in a Premier League cash injection, it could however be completely crippling if promotion isn't secured. A risk which I'm quite sure we won't be taking.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Absolutely this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here