Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ghastliest Country in Europe

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
One thing ive learned living in several Euro countries, is basically, the people are the same... They all want the same things, do the same things, and mostly have the same shops nowadays... the young wear American gangsta uniforms... get drunk, smoke grass... go to movies, nightclubs... some of the music is shite, but the mostly I find it pretty much the same... people rave about the countryside here, but as ive not been beyond the metro system in 5 1/2 years I cant really comment...

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Anyone saying France is an idiot. Fantastic country. It is a crying shame it's inhabited by the French though. Anyone saying the UK is also an idiot, and cannot have been to many other places in Europe. The UK is one of the best places in the world to live, definitely.

I cant say I've found any European countries 'ghastly', in fact I'm not sure I've found any country anywhere 'ghastly'. At this point in time I'd say Ireland is probably a pretty shitty country to live in. Economy in tatters, no jobs and no prospects, and unlike Greece or somewhere you haven't even got lovely weather and beaches to make up for it.

I haven't seen much of Eastern Europe, but I imagine somewhere like Romania or Lichtenstein would probably be the worst place to live.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I haven't seen much of Eastern Europe, but I imagine somewhere like Romania or Lichtenstein would probably be the worst place to live.

What on earth have you got agains Lichtenstein? I think you're probably confusing it with somewhere else (it's definitely not in eastern europe) but I'm struggling to work out where.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What on earth have you got agains Lichtenstein? I think you're probably confusing it with somewhere else (it's definitely not in eastern europe) but I'm struggling to work out where.

It's between Switzerland and Austria and about as close to Eastern Europe as I am to living in Scotland being in Hove !

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anyone saying France is an idiot. Fantastic country. It is a crying shame it's inhabited by the French though. Anyone saying the UK is also an idiot, and cannot have been to many other places in Europe. The UK is one of the best places in the world to live, definitely.

I cant say I've found any European countries 'ghastly', in fact I'm not sure I've found any country anywhere 'ghastly'. At this point in time I'd say Ireland is probably a pretty shitty country to live in. Economy in tatters, no jobs and no prospects, and unlike Greece or somewhere you haven't even got lovely weather and beaches to make up for it.

Why do you say the UK is one of the best places in the World to live ?

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I love France and I am afraid to say it knocks us into a cocked hat. All the French people I have met have been great. Certainly an English person in France will get a much better reception than vice versa. Let's have a look at some facts. Leave Newhaven, a f***ing dump and arrive at Le Havre with its magnficent promenade and buildings.

Everything is France is stylish, even the f***ing street lamps. Within 20 miles of arriving in Le Havre crossed 2 bridges of such magnificent beauty it pissed on anything this side of the sea.

The food is better, the cheese is better, the wine is better, the weather is better, the way of life is better, the culture is better and the people are nicer, who show respect. I am not a big fan of England and think this country generally is in as bad a state socially it has ever been. The countryside is glorious, thats about it.

Just one question. Why don't you move there then if it's so bad over here.

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
It's easy to knock France and grumble about the French but I've generally had great experiences there. People are generally friendly too if you try a little of their language. If you're a wanker and shout loudly and slowly in English at them, then I expect you'll get a shit reaction.

The German speaking countries do things PROPERLY. So cannot believe they even get a mention.

For me - the Baltics are pretty crap. Riga and Vilnius both have nice old towns...but wander outside of those and look at the communist built grey apartment blocks, the glum faces of people and the shit weather - you could almost be forgiven for thinking that you were in Tooting (except for the lack of Halal butchers). Also found in both cities...a nasty underdone. Didn't seem to like tourists (even though I was on my own - not a lairy stag group urinating on monuments or anything)... Cracking snatch though.

I do have to say that - although once very patriotic, I am fast becoming embarrassed by what a shit hole large parts of england are becoming.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Let's have a look at some facts. Leave Newhaven, a f***ing dump and arrive at Le Havre with its magnficent promenade and buildings.

Everything is France is stylish, even the f***ing street lamps. Within 20 miles of arriving in Le Havre crossed 2 bridges of such magnificent beauty it pissed on anything this side of the sea.

I didnt know you could go Newhaven/Le Havre (unless you charter a boat?). Would have been very handy when we played Le Havre in the friendlies a few years' back!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
We undersell ourselves most of the time.

Having worked and lived in a few countries, most have their idiosyncrasies, which I kinda of like but we stand up well against most.

Generally we are free of spirit and enjoy ourselves, but have an reserve which can be quite endearing, I think.

Yep we have our share of idiots, but then again so does everyone.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I didnt know you could go Newhaven/Le Havre (unless you charter a boat?). Would have been very handy when we played Le Havre in the friendlies a few years' back!

They did in 2008.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Spain - absolute third world, half built, dust bowl. A dump. With shit food.
:lol:

Maybe the bits they send Brits on package tours to but as a whole Spain has some brilliant sights and amazing food Been to the Alhambra in Grandad? Done a city break in Barcelona? Have you heard of El Bulli? Eaten fresh tapas? Dear Lord, it's not all Benidorm...

Just one question. Why don't you move there then if it's so bad over here.

My dad did just that 5 years ago and he's happy as a pig in shit. Exchanged a tiny bungalow here for a 5 bed place there. Better weather, cheaper wine, better food. And since he made an effort to learn the language he's joined a band and a petanque club and regularly entertains (and is entertained back) the locals.

I'll probably do the same thing myself once the kids have left home.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
UK - there's some truth in that. You've only got to go abroad for a while, and immediately on your return, you notice an underlying aggression from a large minority of folk, e.g. road rage, lack of manners.

But the UK is still great in many ways. Louis Saha recently praised the overwhelming lack of racism here, compared to France and the Southern and Eastern European states.

Ukraine sounds awful, with the recent boasts and threats from fascists and racists against Euro2012 travellers.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
:lol:

Maybe the bits they send Brits on package tours to but as a whole Spain has some brilliant sights and amazing food Been to the Alhambra in Grandad? Done a city break in Barcelona? Have you heard of El Bulli? Eaten fresh tapas? Dear Lord, it's not all Benidorm...
QUOTE]

Yep done them all, including lucky enough to eat at El Bulli for work. Perhaps not the worst in Europe, but certainly the most over-rated in my opinion in comparison to other popular tourist destinations. Not a patch on Italy, France, Germany, or even Portugal.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Anyone saying France is an idiot. Fantastic country. It is a crying shame it's inhabited by the French though. Anyone saying the UK is also an idiot, and cannot have been to many other places in Europe.

Exactly, if I could get a decent handle on the language I would head for France right now, it is a great place, and over at least 20 holidays and trips there I can honestly say I have probably run into no more than 4 awkward/rude Frenchies, top place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here