Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ghastliest Country in Europe

Stumpy Tim

Melbourne, Chang Mai, New York & Toronto as all-round better cities.
Again, my own opinion based on my own experiences, don't shoot..

Haven't been to Chang Mai, but I prefer London to the other three. Melbourne's not even the best city in Australia! It tries to be European, but I am European and I don't go to Australia to see a city that tries to be European. Toronto is the best of those three IMO obviously, but then I didn't really like NYC

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Haven't been to Chang Mai, but I prefer London to the other three. Melbourne's not even the best city in Australia! It tries to be European, but I am European and I don't go to Australia to see a city that tries to be European. Toronto is the best of those three IMO obviously, but then I didn't really like NYC

Opinions, innit.

I love Melbourne. If I moved to Oz, it would be the front-runner.

My favourite Australian city TO VISIT was Perth, but I was only there for a month. I think you'd go stir crazy if you lived there.

Didn't think much of Toronto at all, but only ever spent a couple of days there, in fairness. Chicago is my favourite city in that part of N America.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Melbourne's not even the best city in Australia! It tries to be European.

That's your opinion thought isn't it. I imagine you would say Sydney was the best in Australia and I hated the place.

Edit. You're comment about Melbourne trying to be European annoyed me a little bit to be honest. It was founded in 1835 fairly soon after European settlement and was declared a city by our very own Queen Victoria in the Mid 1840's.
It was built by Brits and Yanks therefore has a weird Euro-Yank vibe.
It's not an imitation mate.

Last edited:

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
You can walk 1 mile in any direction and everything is London changes.

You can walk 100 yards in London and it all changes.

As I said, each to their own. All this thread is about is our own personal opinions.
You do raise a good point, lots of people 'want' to live here. This could be for many reasons, the main ones being:
1: Possibly easiest city/country to get into from abroad.
2: Free benefits & entitlement to anyone who applies.
3: Plenty of cash work.
4: Plenty of student and foreign language centers.

Of course there are other small reasons like the historical value, cheap flights over here and cheapish sub-standard accommodation if you're happy to share a 2 bed flat with 6 other students.

I couldn't name you a single city where there isn't a rough patch. The only place I've visited without seeing any slight hint of 'scum' would be Singapore, however I wouldn't be so naive as to say it's a perfect city.

If we were to name better cities (again my own opinion) in the world, out of the ones I've visited I'd name:
Melbourne, Chang Mai, New York & Toronto as all-round better cities.
Again, my own opinion based on my own experiences, don't shoot.
Edit. Add Vancouver to that as well.

I think those reasons are reasons, but I don't think they are necessarily the main ones. And there is cheap sub-standard accommodation everywhere.

Singapore is just about the most soulless place on the planet. Melbourne is a bit like Brighton really, I don't see how it could rival London. Haven't been to Chang Mai or anwhere in Canada yet, New York is fantastic.

But as you say, it's all about personal opinions. But as an international city, I think London is hard to beat. There are plenty of other smaller, 'non-international' cities which are still amazing and I'd love to live in though. Been to Buenos Aires? Amazing place, and my favourite city after London.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Nonsense why?

Because most of the state schools are f***ing horrible and have child crack dealers.

You live in the leafy, wealthy suberb of Chiselhurst, it's a little different for you.

Stumpy Tim

That's your opinion thought isn't it. I imagine you would say Sydney was the best in Australia and I hated the place.

Edit. You're comment about Melbourne trying to be European annoyed me a little bit to be honest. It was founded in 1835 fairly soon after European settlement and was declared a city by our very own Queen Victoria in the Mid 1840's.
It was built by Brits and Yanks therefore has a weird Euro-Yank vibe.
It's not an imitation mate.

Absolutely it's my opinion - many people disagree with me, and that's fine. I think this thread (with the obvious exception) is a decent debate to be honest.

My comments on Melbourne being European is really driven by the people who live there who constantly told me with pride how European it is. As I said, I don't go to Australia to find myself in a European-wannabe city as Europe does it better. You're right, Sydney is my favourite city in Australia... love the place

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
But as you say, it's all about personal opinions. But as an international city, I think London is hard to beat. There are plenty of other smaller, 'non-international' cities which are still amazing and I'd love to live in though. Been to Buenos Aires? Amazing place, and my favourite city after London.

Yup, just opinions as the places I've mentioned would be places I'd be happy to live. I'm just waiting very patiently for my company to have an opening somewhere far, far away for me :)
I guess it comes down to what people want from life as well. See, I'd be happy as a pig in shit working for peanuts as a fisherman on the islands off New Caledonia, with no internet, Mcdonalds, overdraft fees and all the other Western money grabbing chaos that some of us are tangled up in.
Sorry.. Rant over!
Oh and South America (Peru mainly) is next on my to-do list. Machu Pichu, 4 day hill trek looks right up my street. Brazil is also up there, Buenos Aires looks stunning.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Absolutely it's my opinion - many people disagree with me, and that's fine. I think this thread (with the obvious exception) is a decent debate to be honest.

My comments on Melbourne being European is really driven by the people who live there who constantly told me with pride how European it is. As I said, I don't go to Australia to find myself in a European-wannabe city as Europe does it better. You're right, Sydney is my favourite city in Australia... love the place

See I find it quite ironic how your favourite city in Aus is Sydney as it's (with the exception of Bondi & Manly beaches etc) the most English/British city in Australia!

You weapons grade tool :lolol:

Thought you might enjoy that. Go on, give us your mythical version of London with nappies flying out of car windows, illegal immigrants being gifted the best jobs and society cracking at the seams.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Thought you might enjoy that. Go on, give us your mythical version of London with nappies flying out of car windows, illegal immigrants being gifted the best jobs and society cracking at the seams.
couple of pints at 5 bells ? if we can find a pub where white , english working class people are actually welcome these days.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I guess it comes down to what people want from life as well. See, I'd be happy as a pig in shit working for peanuts as a fisherman on the islands off New Caledonia, with no internet, Mcdonalds, overdraft fees and all the other Western money grabbing chaos that some of us are tangled up in.
Sorry.. Rant over!
Oh and South America (Peru mainly) is next on my to-do list. Machu Pichu, 4 day hill trek looks right up my street. Brazil is also up there, Buenos Aires looks stunning.

I would as well, for a while, but I think I'd get bored in the end.

Peru is fantastic, and Macchu Pichu is as good as it looks in the photos, maybe better. Brazil is stunning, Uruguay is nice too, but none of them compare to Argentina. My favourite country in the world*

If you end up going to Peru and want to do the Inca Trail to Macchu Pichu then pm me as I know a guy who runs his own company doing treks there, and he is superb. You wont find anyone better.

And if you're going to South America then don't miss out on the Galapagos, whatever you do.

Buenos Aries is really nice, Rio is brilliant - but for maximum impact go at Carnival time. Different class

This man speaks the truth.

*issues involving football and the Falklands are exempt from this statement, the dirty, cheating, swarthy bastards.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I would as well, for a while, but I think I'd get bored in the end.

Peru is fantastic, and Macchu Pichu is as good as it looks in the photos, maybe better. Brazil is stunning, Uruguay is nice too, but none of them compare to Argentina. My favourite country in the world*

If you end up going to Peru and want to do the Inca Trail to Macchu Pichu then pm me as I know a guy who runs his own company doing treks there, and he is superb. You wont find anyone better.

And if you're going to South America then don't miss out on the Galapagos, whatever you do.

Buenos Aries is really nice, Rio is brilliant - but for maximum impact go at Carnival time. Different class

Thanks for the tips pals, I'll call on you guys again for some more details close to the time.
Will definitely hit you up with that contact Commander, when Peru/South America is in the pipeline.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here