George Best RIP

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Addiction stronger than a man's thinking resolve? I don't believe I personally could ever believe that a sensible person cannot over-rule the desire for a substance when their very life is threatened. The fight requires a fighter.

As for the liver, I don't think you can say that the donor would be angry to know their donation was wasted, when the liver will be getting the full revenge on its' own!
The many someones who will die for WANT of a liver are the ones who should be angered by the flippant disregard of a recipient.

To live or die by your own actions is very commonplace, and Best is a high-profile case. Committal of suicide by a healthy person is surely more wasteful and foolish?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
NMH said:
Addiction stronger than a man's thinking resolve? I don't believe I personally could ever believe that a sensible person cannot over-rule the desire for a substance when their very life is threatened. The fight requires a fighter.

And if the person is too weak to fight? Addicts die every day of the week.
| don't mean weak physically.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Whatever you think of him, the blokes a fighter, still hanging in there

Yorkie said:
And if the person is too weak to fight? Addicts die every day of the week.
| don't mean weak physically.

What is "too weak to fight" with alcohol?
Does the alcohol force itself down a man's throat?

No, I haven't got time for this rubbish - the person ACTIVELY going to the alcohol and putting it inside their body is not FIGHTING anything but their own mental weakness - where one desire over-rules the other.

Many people have trouble with doing the right things over the wrong things - they are drawn to what they are taught they shouldn't do.

With Best as a high-profile advert, it's not like we need much warning on the lable though. That's the good thing about this, people take notice and care more when a celebrity is an example.
Pulling birds and grinning like a real 'lad' while getting pissed-up was the advert Best did freely for alcohol. Now look.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
NMH said:
What is "too weak to fight" with alcohol?
Does the alcohol force itself down a man's throat?

No, I haven't got time for this rubbish - the person ACTIVELY going to the alcohol and putting it inside their body is not FIGHTING anything but their own mental weakness - where one desire over-rules the other.

Many people have trouble with doing the right things over the wrong things - they are drawn to what they are taught they shouldn't do.

With Best as a high-profile advert, it's not like we need much warning on the lable though. That's the good thing about this, people take notice and care more when a celebrity is an example.
Pulling birds and grinning like a real 'lad' while getting pissed-up was the advert Best did freely for alcohol. Now look.

Maybe it is a minor point but alcoholism is an illness and not just a weakness. And more worryingly it is a progressive illness which unlike heroin addiction and HIV/Aids can take decades to kill its victims.

There is a way out for many alcoholics but unfortunately not for all.

Personally I have deep deep symapthy for George AND his family and friends

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Well he is still here, although with 24 hour pub opening starting tonight you can see the temptations for people with a similar condition

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Looks like he's on his way out:

George Best's doctors have said his fans and family must "prepare for the worst", after the footballing legend had a "very bad night".

A spokesman for west London's Cromwell Hospital, where Best is back on a ventilator, said his condition had worsened and he was "very, very ill".

Best, 59, has been in intensive care with a lung infection since Friday; his condition worsened early on Wednesday.

The star was admitted to hospital seven weeks ago with flu-like symptoms.

He later developed kidney and lung infections.

Everything has got worse and we are not controlling things well any more
Prof Williams
Best's doctor

One of Best's medical team, Dr Akeel Alisa, said: "George has had a very bad night. He's very, very ill. I think we must all prepare ourselves for the worst.

"George is a friend, not just a patient. It's been a very emotional day."

While the man who oversaw Best's liver transplant in 2002, Professor Roger Williams said the outlook was "very gloomy" as there had been a "definite downturn in his condition".

"There are a whole lot of factors that have contributed to his deterioration.

"Bleeding has been a big problem. The outlook is very gloomy.

"We don't think he is going to keep on surviving but it is difficult to say how long."

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The guy has put up a hell of a fight

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
He's been given less than 24 hours

this is so sad - the greatest footballer I have ever seen play - a true genius and such a sad and wasted life

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
OTLW - he also had to bloody brilliant times as well mate, 7 miss worlds wasn't it ??? :clap:

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Professor Roger Williams has revealed the sad news that George Best's hours are now numbered, although he is still alive.

One of the greatest footballers of all time is on his deathbed at the age of 59, unable to recover from internal bleeding that has now affected his lungs.

"I think many of you already know this morning that I'm afraid Mr Best is coming to the end of the long road of his ill health," said Williams, Best's physician.

"The situation is, medically, the intensive care team and everybody concerned have managed to cope with, pretty well, all the complications except the one that's happened again during the night which you know about. This bleeding which, although it has been replaced, has now affected the lungs and other parts.

"There is really no return from that situation. It's just not possible to recover from that episode that he's had during the night and is now faced with.

"He is still alive, still having standard medical care and treatment but I have to tell you that his hours are numbered now. It's all very upsetting for all of us who have looked after him.

"I can't be precise as to time but it is the final stages of the illness and I'm afraid he could die at any time over the next 24 hours," said Williams. "I'd be very surprised if he survives another 24 hours."

Williams revealed the star's family, including son Callum, were in attendance and preparing themselves for the inevitable.

"I think they accept what is going to happen," he explained.

"He's not in any pain but he is still alive, although with complications in the lung that one is never able to reverse when that happens.

"He's not conscious or aware [of his family's presence].

"I think we're all very upset."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports