Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

generation snowflake

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
ppfft. This is how the likes of yourself use words to deflect from what is really being said. Focusing on semantic minutiae when at the end of the day, he's just being plain offensive.

There's nothing semantic about it. You could be a blue eyed blonde haired parson and be Mexican.

Offense is taken not given.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
If you want to get picky, black is not a race, it is a colour, Asian is not a race, it is a continent.

We are all one race, Homo sapiens sapiens. Except that the only pure Homo sapiens sapiens on the planet are in Africa, Europeans are part Neanderthal, Asians are part Neanderthal and part other extinct humanoids. The story is still unfolding as DNA databases expand and are examined.

I agree completely.

It's just more proof left wing race baiters are utter morons when they try to turn everything into a race issue.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
ppfft. This is how the likes of yourself use words to deflect from what is really being said. Focusing on semantic minutiae when at the end of the day, he's just being plain offensive.

Nah, sorry you ain't having that for free, it is called being factually correct as opposed to being wrong.

Pffffff......

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Nah, sorry you ain't having that for free, it is called being factually correct as opposed to being wrong.

Pffffff......

bull shit. Accuse Mexicans of being rapists, criminals, bringing drugs in to the country sounds like racism to me. If someone said they hated the English I'd dismiss them as a racist. I'm not going searching for my dictionary.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
bull shit. Accuse Mexicans of being rapists, criminals, bringing drugs in to the country sounds like racism to me. If someone said they hated the English I'd dismiss them as a racist. I'm not going searching for my dictionary.

So if a New Zealander said they hated the English they'd be a racist?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The non competitive sports days? It's a bit of a red herring, because kids who want to race or compete still get the chance to participate in competitive sports (if the school has the facilities) anyway.

I think I also mentioned that the school my kids attended introduce competitive sports around 9ish, which isn't that dissimilar from what you're saying.

Why should athletics ( which is the main composition of sports days at school ) be any different from football, rugby, cricket, hockey etc? All of life is competitive, all of sport is competitive. The teachers who decide that non-competitive sports days are best for the children they teach, have, in the main, all had to compete at job interviews for the position that they currently hold. The whole essence of competition is performing to the best of your ability. The legendary Bill Shankly once said that it doesn't matter if you are the humblest street cleaner on the streets of Liverpool. Be proud of what you do. Make sure that your streets are the cleanest. Nothing out of place. Nothing left to chance. Hold your head up high in the knowledge that you have worked as hard as posible and given of your best.
You learn more in life from not winning, than from regularly winning. Most of us can't win regularly in life. The odds are stacked against us. There is a very small minority of people, who show talent at an early age, are hugely self-driven and carve out very successful careers. Their determination to succeed overrides everything and they are prepared to make sacrifices that the majority won't. The rest of us get our heads down, work reasonably hard and end up somewhere in the main stream. At every turn in life, we meet competition. In comes in all shapes and forms. It is always there. You can never escape it.
The earlier in life that children are introduced to the concept of competition, the better. It is character forming. It strengthens people and the richer, more grounded, more mature their lives will be.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
So if a New Zealander said they hated the English they'd be a racist?

Fits for me. Xenophobe might be technically better but in common usage plenty of people use the word racism to describe a dislike of other countries/peoples.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Fits for me. Xenophobe might be technically better but in common usage plenty of people use the word racism to describe a dislike of other countries/peoples.

And that's the problem, those people are morons. They use it so freely it loses any power it once held.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Why should athletics ( which is the main composition of sports days at school ) be any different from football, rugby, cricket, hockey etc? All of life is competitive, all of sport is competitive. The teachers who decide that non-competitive sports days are best for the children they teach, have, in the main, all had to compete at job interviews for the position that they currently hold. The whole essence of competition is performing to the best of your ability. The legendary Bill Shankly once said that it doesn't matter if you are the humblest street cleaner on the streets of Liverpool. Be proud of what you do. Make sure that your streets are the cleanest. Nothing out of place. Nothing left to chance. Hold your head up high in the knowledge that you have worked as hard as posible and given of your best.
You learn more in life from not winning, than from regularly winning. Most of us can't win regularly in life. The odds are stacked against us. There is a very small minority of people, who show talent at an early age, are hugely self-driven and carve out very successful careers. Their determination to succeed overrides everything and they are prepared to make sacrifices that the majority won't. The rest of us get our heads down, work reasonably hard and end up somewhere in the main stream. At every turn in life, we meet competition. In comes in all shapes and forms. It is always there. You can never escape it.
The earlier in life that children are introduced to the concept of competition, the better. It is character forming. It strengthens people and the richer, more grounded, more mature their lives will be.
Historically, and in our day to day lives, cooperation is a more positive force than competition. Competition has its place, but it is overrated.
Learning to cooperate effectively is a far more important lesson.
All this 'life is a competition' has a whiff of the bell cheese about it to me.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

I don't know if you have been to a sports day recently for kids aged 5-8, but athletics is not the main composition.

As I said from 9ish onwards they do race etc on sports day.

The above are anecdotal so it maybe different elsewhere.

We'll have to disagree about "The earlier in life that children are introduced to the concept of competition, the better". Again it's anecdotal but I just haven't found this to be the case. This isn't Sparta, they get plenty of opportunities to be competitive and this idea that modern kids are all wrapped in cotton wool is just not true.

I'd also echo what another poster has said regarding cooperation. In business, the most successful teams I have worked with are those who understand cooperation and also recognise what each team member can contribute. Yes they have to have a product/service that can compete in the market place, but to get it there they work together.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Yes. And actually this is where the focus on phobia's and isms becomes unhelpful. We have red herring debates about the meaning of the words themselves, rather than what was so wrong about about what is actually being said.

If you're focusing on 'All Mexican's are rapists' not being a racist statement, you are grossly missing the point.

By the way, having heard that excerpt numerous times, I don't think Trump meant 'All Mexicans are rapists.' And I think Trumps detractors were wrong to jump on that as what he said, it came across as hysteria. But that's for another time.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
No idea where it came from but I quite like the expression.

It sums up the generation who have been through the education system with the "No losers" Sports days. Things don't go their way, like the Brexit Vote and Trump Victory, and as they have no concept of what losing actually feels like they cannot handle it.

Of course at this point Generation Snowflake takes to Twatter to inform they are "Literally shaking with fear/anger/frustration" rather than accepting the democratic process and getting the hell on with life.

Indeed. The referendum was the referendum to end all referendums and no politics should ever be discussed again. Good point.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC

He said that some of the ILLEGAL Mexican immigrants were bad people, rapists etc. He doesn't have anything against legal immigrants, and I don't see a problem with that.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Outside of the pages of the Daily Mail, has anyone ever actually witnessed such a thing? We used to hear a lot about these sports days - normally in some angry article about a left-wing local authority, like Lambeth or somewhere, but its basically bullshit, isn't it? A couple of isolated incidents, in schools led by misguided individuals - then extrapolated by foaming at the mouth crappy editorials, into a national malaise, that never existed.

Yes,in the 1990's when we lived in Reigate, my childrens' school had a no losers sports day and it was awful.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My kids' school seem totally confused. They have non-competitive sports day but also a school football and netball team. They have a 'prizes for everyone' mentality about educational and behaviour awards and then moan when the kids don't do their homework. They drill for tests while complaining about the necessity of tests. Last year, after a bad OFSTED about how they were letting down the older and brighter kids they did special clubs to extend high achieving kids in English and Maths and ran a coding club, Now that OFSTED have been back in and upgraded them they're back to teaching the Juniors Maketon. I think it's just bad leadership rather than a left wing conspiracy though.

Lets face it, kids are pussies these days by comparison. Generation melt indeed.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
He said that some of the ILLEGAL Mexican immigrants were bad people, rapists etc. He doesn't have anything against legal immigrants, and I don't see a problem with that.

QUOTE: "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

The inference was the other way round and only that "some are good people."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here