Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
One of my ambitions to shoot a kingfisher, great effort!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Attachments

• Kingfisher Calendar 2011 Photo Shoot_02.JPG
    Kingfisher Calendar 2011 Photo Shoot_02.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 214
  • article-2197306-14CC43B6000005DC-188_306x527.jpg
    article-2197306-14CC43B6000005DC-188_306x527.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 361

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Went on a Kingfisher photography day in Somerset.
http://www.charliebishop.com/kingfisher-courses
What a great day. If you've got a lot of patience, I can highly recommend this.
Charlie's great. Incredibly knowledgeable and good fun.
Here's my best effort.

Thanks for the link. May well do this :)
How many sightings did you get in the time you were there?

Frustratingly the other day I had a barn owl hunting in broad daylight just a few metres from me but I only had a short lens with me. Had I had my usual 400mm lens I could have got cracking shots!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Thanks for the link. May well do this :)
How many sightings did you get in the time you were there?

Frustratingly the other day I had a barn owl hunting in broad daylight just a few metres from me but I only had a short lens with me. Had I had my usual 400mm lens I could have got cracking shots!
I had to be at Charlie's house just up the A37 from Yeovil at 7.30 am, where he goes over the camera settings and checks your ability so he knows how much help you need. We then jumped in his car and we drove for about 20 minutes to Somerton where the river Carey runs through. After a short walk through a wood, we were in the hides from 8.30am to 2.30pm and the Kingfisher made 4 visits. Charlie has put a small plastic tank in the river just in front of the hides, which he fills with Minnows. The Kingfisher lands on one of the branches he has cable-tied to a Willow on the river bank about 3 metres from the hides, he puffs up his chest, then dives in to the Minnows and within a milli-second is back on the branch with one in his mouth. He then stuns it by banging it around and then proceeds to swallow it. He then seems to let it digest for a minute, then flies off. Average of 1.5 hours wait between visits, but there's something nice about being in a hide in the middle of nowhere with just birds, butterflies and insects (and Charlie) for company.
If the Kingfisher doesn't turn up, you only pay £ 45. This has only happened once in the last two years.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Falmer Pond again. There are another two goslings in the family, but I thought this was the best of my efforts.

Attachments

• Gosllings 2 NSC.jpg
    Gosllings 2 NSC.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 166

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I had to be at Charlie's house just up the A37 from Yeovil at 7.30 am, where he goes over the camera settings and checks your ability so he knows how much help you need. We then jumped in his car and we drove for about 20 minutes to Somerton where the river Carey runs through. After a short walk through a wood, we were in the hides from 8.30am to 2.30pm and the Kingfisher made 4 visits. Charlie has put a small plastic tank in the river just in front of the hides, which he fills with Minnows. The Kingfisher lands on one of the branches he has cable-tied to a Willow on the river bank about 3 metres from the hides, he puffs up his chest, then dives in to the Minnows and within a milli-second is back on the branch with one in his mouth. He then stuns it by banging it around and then proceeds to swallow it. He then seems to let it digest for a minute, then flies off. Average of 1.5 hours wait between visits, but there's something nice about being in a hide in the middle of nowhere with just birds, butterflies and insects (and Charlie) for company.
If the Kingfisher doesn't turn up, you only pay £ 45. This has only happened once in the last two years.

Thanks. Definitely want to do something like thios soon.
Finally caught up with a Barn Owl. Have been trying for ages!
Didn't come as close as I would have liked but was ok.

attachment.php

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
View attachment 65424

Sheffield Park is lovely at this time of the year

Forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but most flowers, particularly light coloured ones benefit from being photographed out of full sunshine. The sun tends to over blow the colour and bleach out the detail. Here's a picture of a similar white flower taken on a dull wet day.

P1010017.JPG

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but most flowers, particularly light coloured ones benefit from being photographed out of full sunshine. The sun tends to over blow the colour and bleach out the detail. Here's a picture of a similar white flower taken on a dull wet day.

View attachment 65547

That is fair enough...it was just a shot taken with the iPhone of a beautiful flower.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Jevs' garden again this morning. He recently planted this Toona sinensis "Flamingo" (Chinese Mahogany tree). The new leaves are the pinkest of pinks you've ever seen. Certainly one of my favourite trees if not my number one. All being well, in a few years time it will be one of the most amazing trees in the area in spring time.
Also, a recent photo of Jevs' garden for those who don't know it.

Attachments

• Toona NSC.jpg
    Toona NSC.jpg
    549.9 KB · Views: 201
  • Preston Rock Gdn NSC.jpg
    Preston Rock Gdn NSC.jpg
    651.7 KB · Views: 212

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Pende_7978small.JPG

All the cars looked English fourth division, apart from the mini-buses. No star signings!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
A neighbour's cat. One of the few animal shots to get with minimum hardship!

Attachments

• Cat 16 5 NSC.jpg
    Cat 16 5 NSC.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here