Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Nikon D7100 and 80-400 lens. I'm still getting the hang of ISO. I put it on 100 and had the camera on S setting for a few seconds. I was also slightly pissed having been out to dinner with friends, but I thought the moon had to be shot as it looked so stunning! Next time, I'll reduce the speed and try a higher ISO. Thanks for the nice comment and advice.

Because the moon moves, you should use a fast shutter speed. Here is a rule of thumb "With a 300mm zoom you will need a shutter speed of at least 1/350 for a clear image."

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Because the moon moves, you should use a fast shutter speed. Here is a rule of thumb "With a 300mm zoom you will need a shutter speed of at least 1/350 for a clear image."

That speed rule relates to hand-holding for any subject, but I doubt the moon moves too fast for a hand-held shot! You might have problem with it moving on a longer tripod exposure, but that photo looks like camera shake. That said, it's very minimal considering the magnification and the alcohol. I'm amazed at the detail visible.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
That speed rule relates to hand-holding for any subject, but I doubt the moon moves too fast for a hand-held shot! You might have problem with it moving on a longer tripod exposure, but that photo looks like camera shake. That said, it's very minimal considering the magnification and the alcohol. I'm amazed at the detail visible.
I used a tripod, 2 glasses of Jacquart champagne, half a bottle of red wine and 2 glasses of white. That might have had something to do with it!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I used a tripod, 2 glasses of Jacquart champagne, half a bottle of red wine and 2 glasses of white. That might have had something to do with it!

I don't see why! Amateur. :p

7th April 2015 - Trip to Mull, Staffa and Iona (132).JPG

7th April 2015 - Puffins off Staffa (7).jpg

9th April 2015 - Connel sunset (6).JPG

Some pics from last week spent in glorious weather in Scotland - Mrs. P is particularly proud of the shots of the Puffins in flight

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Two of my favourite hobbies in the sunshine. :)

DSC_3600.JPG

DSC_3604.JPG

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I thought I'd try a few snaps in the fog to erase the memories of today's fitting end to a dismal season. Packed up after a short while as all the hundreds of Watford supporters, some in the sea, on the pier, on the beach at the bottom of West Street and every you looked, singing and celebrating, upset me too much! Anyway, here's a three snaps I thought weren't too bad.

Attachments

• Foggy Pier NSC 25.4.15.jpg
    Foggy Pier NSC 25.4.15.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 230
  • Merry Go Round NSC 25.4.15.jpg
    Merry Go Round NSC 25.4.15.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 234
  • Foggy Wheel NSC 25.4.15.jpg
    Foggy Wheel NSC 25.4.15.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 230

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I can highly recommend a visit to Jev's garden, a.k.a. Preston Rock Garden. It really is looking superb. If you go during the week and find him and you've got your kids with you, he'll give you some food to give to the fish. The white daffs (Sugarbush) are at their best right now.

Attachments

• White Daffd NSC.jpg
    White Daffd NSC.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 216

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
image.jpg

This is my lilac tree in the front garden. Looks fabulous

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Went on a Kingfisher photography day in Somerset.
http://www.charliebishop.com/kingfisher-courses
What a great day. If you've got a lot of patience, I can highly recommend this.
Charlie's great. Incredibly knowledgeable and good fun.
Here's my best effort.

Attachments

• Kingfisher 11.5.15 NSC.jpg
    Kingfisher 11.5.15 NSC.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 253

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
So where do people share their photos these days? I've been looking at Flickr, but the adverts are really intrusive. Yes, you can pay so you don't see them, but everybody else does - every fifth or sixth "photo" is a credit card or bank!

I just want somewhere to showcase my photos for family, friends and anyone that's interested. No, not Facebook or anywhere that needs the viewers to sign up.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
image.jpgimage.jpg

Sheffield Park is lovely at this time of the year

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Now that's a winner! What lens did you use for this?
Thanks Smirko. Nikon D7100. 80 - 400mm lens. F8 1/500.
The F8 setting was recommended to me by Charlie. The Kingfisher was approximately 3m away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here