Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Thanks, I had to be very patient to get just the right expression. I learnt his movements and behaviour, and set myself in just the right place near a mouse hole, and when the predator got whiff of the mice I was ready. I had to get my settings bang on as he pounced a fraction of a second later. Oh no wait, you took it not me :)
He's a real sweetie this cat. I think the expression may be because I've been stalking him for ages, and he feared the worst!

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Welcome back Zukey. Where have you been?

Been rather busy with work. But I forgot how much I miss taking photos. That one was taken at a customers house whilst I was working.
I need to get back out there and getting snappy happy.
I love the photos of the little birds flying out of the birdhouse.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I'm not wanting to teach you to suck eggs here, but just for clarity, the rule of thirds is just a guide to help us think about composition. When people take snap shots of a horizon smack in the middle, it would normally be improved by moving the horizon up of down in the frame. I'd normally stick it close to a third from top or bottom, but that's just a guide, and you'll see great pictures where the horizon is much lower than that, for example.

Here are my crops of your terrifying neighbour:

View attachment 66093

View attachment 66094

Now, where have I seen pictures like that on NSC?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
lol, your poor little moggy wouldn't last a minute with this killer.

No, unfortunately Goldstone is already gone. RIP Goldie.

BTW, he was no "moggy" - a pedigree Maine Coon with a great ruff. Not too co-operative with the camera though.

But he was a wimp...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
attachment.php

This is an example of a fast bird (though not as fast as a blue tit!) flying toward me. I used AF and set the sensitivity to high so had to ensure the bird didn't leave the focus point (bird is larger than a blue tit so easier!). Even so I still had to step down to F8 as at F5.6 the depth of field was too narrow to nail the focus. This meant I lost shutter speed and so the wings are blurred but I quite like the effect of this.

Me too.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Insect safari time in France again, Tarn (Midi-Pyrenees) area. Pleased with my first day.

Attachments

• Swallowtail NSC.jpg
    Swallowtail NSC.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 294
  • Hummingbird Hawk Moth NSC.jpg
    Hummingbird Hawk Moth NSC.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Love the moth!
Thanks. (And Jevs). There's a couple of Lavender plants a stone's throw from our front door. It is covered in all sorts of moths, butterflies, bees, but the Hummingbird Hawk Moths are there in their droves. I took about a hundred photos this morning of which that one was the best, but I think I can do better if every day I take a hundred or two! I'm after a front-on shot, a portrait if you like. They fly so flipping fast, focusing on them is virtually impossible, but the law of averages suggests I'll get a couple of good 'uns in the end hopefully.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Aggressive looking critters close up!

Attachments

• Hummingbird face NSC.jpg
    Hummingbird face NSC.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 343

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Another Swallowtail. This place is alive with them!

Attachments

• Swallowtail Front View NSC.jpg
    Swallowtail Front View NSC.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 248

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here