General Election 2015

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Maybe, but as Miliband says, there's a hell of a difference between a hedge trimmer and a hedge fund manager.

actually the difference is immaterial. whats more concerning is that Balls suggested getting a receipt would have any impact upon tax avoidance. it doesnt, as there's no requirement for the receipt holder to pay tax, and no requirement for the service provider to track that receipt. so pay cash get receipt and the money can still go undeclared. its indicative of a would be chancellor who has a worry lack of understanding of practicalities of policy.

the other issue raised this weekend was the idea reducing tax avoidance would raise revenue to spend on apprenticeships, a noble use of government money. however, reducing tax avoidance means removing allowances and reliefs that are used for that avoidance, or in other words, tax rises. we wouldn't be in this mess if the government kept using weaselly terminology to say what they want. we also heard that Labour donors, unions and Miliband himself have all engage in tax avoidance, but that's no revelation really, we are all at it after all.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I can't speak for the bookies, but Matthew Parris and Kellner as far as I am aware are the only commentators who have come out and said they expect the Tories to finish on top (Anthony Wells is telling readers to treat the ICM poll cautiously - http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/). Commentators such as Nick Robinson are far more cautious. More polls than not are showing Labour establishing a slight lead, and they are down 4% in Ashcroft's latest poll. I think the tax avoidance stuff must have had an impact. Labour in my view are no better, but it's the fact that the Tories are seen to be backing tax avoiders (not ordering HMRC to prosecute, for example), while clamping down hard on benefit cheats; Mark Harper's performance on the Today programme was dreadful in my view, that has hit them. The last thing I want politically is a Labour government, but I shall feel little sympathy for Cameron and his team if they are given the heave-ho.

I disagree with you politically, but -- in stark contrast to other posters that come from your political position on this thread -- think this is an intelligent and fair account of the current situation. The only thing I'd really disagree with you on is Nick Robinson. As political editor of the BBC, he's hardly likely to paint himself into a corner of being perceived as favouring any party, especially when the situation is still fluid and ultimately unclear (although what clarity there is still points to a hung parliament).

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Unemployed down by 97000,31 million in work highest since records began.

Not so good when you take into consideration the number of workers on zero hour contracts , part timers who can't get extra hours to make the hours up to full time , self employed workers earning less than NMW and millions on minimum wage having to rely on tax credits because their employer knows the state will top up the employees measly wages.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Not so good when you take into consideration the number of workers on zero hour contracts , part timers who can't get extra hours to make the hours up to full time , self employed workers earning less than NMW and millions on minimum wage having to rely on tax credits because their employer knows the state will top up the employees measly wages.

Indeed, it is the most misleading statistic you'll ever see - Peddled along with low inflation (almost entirely due to factors outside of the govt influence) as some sort of validation of their austerity measures.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

unless you are going to contrast with the zero hours, part timers, self employed, and minimum wage earners historically, then this consideration is largely meaningless. thats not to say that unemployment number is a great guide, for all these reason it has always been flawed. but it has always given a high profile. total hours worked is better, far lower profile though. the total in employment is well above historic levels.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This. Some sort of breakdown is needed before anyone can make a comment on relative employment. I read sometime ago those registering as self-employed is soaring due to people working through, I think, employment agencies. Whilst registers under this class it doesn't mean they will always be in work.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Make of this analysis what you will...

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-truth-jobs-wages/19959

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
This. Some sort of breakdown is needed before anyone can make a comment on relative employment. I read sometime ago those registering as self-employed is soaring due to people working through, I think, employment agencies. Whilst registers under this class it doesn't mean they will always be in work.

I also suspect it might be to do with people getting to the end of their six months JSA. When it happened to me last year they suggested I came up with a business idea. If it was agreed then there was a free training course I could pick, a few extra benefit payments and an extention of six months to my JSA ( although it would change name ). At this point, all of a sudden, you're self employed and off that magic figure they want to keep down !

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
This. Some sort of breakdown is needed before anyone can make a comment on relative employment..
It never stopped you using and quoting it before the recent downturn in numbers, did it Herr Hypocrite.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Latest TNS poll has Lab with a 7% lead - CON 28%, LAB 35%, LDEM 6%, UKIP 18%, GRN 7%

Does this offset the earlier poll from ICM which showed the Tories with a 4% lead ??? :eek:

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
Unemployed down by 97000,31 million in work highest since records began.

This particular record is mentioned every time they announce the unemployment figures. The population of this country is currently the highest it's ever been, so of course the number of people in work will be a record. The unemployment rate - 5.7% - isn't anywhere near a record. In fact, it's about level with the average during the Blair-Brown years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here