Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gay boys, Gay boys what's the score.....

BeepBeepImaJeep

Farewell and adieu....
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Well the only openly gay person to have posted on this thread agrees with me, so it cant be that far wrong.

Are you joking or serious? I'm openly gay and I completely disagree with you... I can only assume by your logic that means you're "far off".

Maybe he's just used to homophobia living in a country where this sort of stuff is acceptable. I'm not crying bloody murder but I'm just saying it's homophobic to use the term gay as an insult. I'm not sure how that's hard to see. If you guys tolerate or use chants like that, have at it. It just says more about the people singing it.

Last edited:

Are you joking or serious? I'm openly gay and I completely disagree with you... I can only assume by your logic that means you're "far off".

Maybe he's just used to homophobia living in a country where this sort of stuff is acceptable. I'm not crying bloody murder but I'm just saying it's homophobic to use the term gay as an insult. I'm not sure how that's hard to see. If you guys tolerate or use chants like that, have at it. It just says more about the people singing it.

Indeed - it's meant as an INSULT, ie designed to offend. In exactly the same way town full of pakis or something like that would be sung. It's saying to be gay is to be morally or socially unacceptable. Thus, homophobic.
A person can't help the colour of their skin, a person can't help their sexuality. Neither deserves to be abused or have the piss ripped out of them for it. And this from a heterosexual man.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;3854562 said:
Indeed - it's meant as an INSULT, ie designed to offend. In exactly the same way town full of pakis or something like that would be sung. It's saying to be gay is to be morally or socially unacceptable. Thus, homophobic.
A person can't help the colour of their skin, a person can't help their sexuality. Neither deserves to be abused or have the piss ripped out of them for it. And this from a heterosexual man.

Exactly.

Some posters on here have shown themselves to be pretty ignorant.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

I don't really understand the "If you guys tolerate" bit. Have you been to football in this country?

¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;3854562 said:

OK, but a person cant help being Welsh / Inbred / Coming from Essex etc, so why is it OK for us to sing songs and rip the piss out of them for that, but it's not OK for them to rip the piss out of us for coming from the gay capital of the UK? Most Palace fans probably aren't really pikeys, same as most Brighton fans aren't really gay.

If there was, for example, an openly gay player on the pitch, and the crowd were singing songs about him and abusing him every time he got the ball because he was gay, that is homophobia and is as bad as racism, and yes there is no place for that in the game. But the home fans chanting "Does your boyfriend know you're here" or "Gay boys, what's the score", is not something that is worth getting too worked up about.

And, if Brighton didn't have a large gay population and Croydon did, our fans would be singing exactly the same songs as are sung to us. Guaranteed. It's no more or less funny / offensive than singing about inbreds / pikeys / dirty northern bastards etc.

Exactly.

Some posters on here have shown themselves to be pretty ignorant.

Assuming that is aimed at me, I don't think I'm ignorant, I just think I can look at the situation from a wider perspective, not just from the perspective of someone living in a nice little forward-thinking seaside county in the affluent South-East, as I said earlier.

If we are to get all precious about opposition fans singing gay songs at us, then how are we any better singing the equivalent abuse back at them?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Having lived in Hull for four years I am fully aware of the possibility of alternative attitudes to that of the North Laine...

That isn't really my point about ignorance. That was aimed at people who, approaching 2011, believe that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Having lived in Hull for four years I am fully aware of the possibility of alternative attitudes to that of the North Laine...

That isn't really my point about ignorance. That was aimed at people who, in 2011, believe that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice.

I'm sorry to hear that, that must have been hard for you.

OK perhaps that was a bit strong, but that wasn't quite what I said, or what I meant, anyway. I wasn't suggesting that people wake up one morning and decide to be gay, I was saying that it is natural for young people to be confused about their sexuality, and in this day and age I think young people feel almost pushed to decide if they are gay or straight, where as before they wouldn't really have considered that there was an alternative. Just because a young person has feelings for another man, it doesn't necessarily make them gay. There are plenty of people who had gay experiences when they were younger and then went on to be straight and happily married. All I'm saying, is that in this day and age, those people are much more likely to think "I must be gay, I need to come out" than they were 20 years ago. That was the point I was trying to make. I don't think that is that awful or ignorant, I think it is 100% true.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Ok be like that, you know I mean your quote 'amongst the best fans in the country'.

We're not even close.

I wouldn't say that. We do have a really good away support compared to most clubs in the football league.

haha - Marc I agree with you. And 'FFA' - you don't lose a hard earned rep in a yr or 2 though I do agree it's gone downhill a little I also think we will get it back and Falmer will help / be a great atmo.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If there was, for example, an openly gay player on the pitch, and the crowd were singing songs about him and abusing him every time he got the ball because he was gay, that is homophobia and is as bad as racism, and yes there is no place for that in the game. But the home fans chanting "Does your boyfriend know you're here" or "Gay boys, what's the score", is not something that is worth getting too worked up about.

If we are to get all precious about opposition fans singing gay songs at us, then how are we any better singing the equivalent abuse back at them?

Where do you draw the line? Is is equivalent abuse? Obviously the two examples you've given are the milder forms of homophobia but I've heard much worse and seen fans experience worse, going away from the ground. Someone here posted only the other day that his young son was told 'he must be adopted as his father is a poof'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here