Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Speed dies aged 42

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Oh come on Lush, it's dreadful dreadful news but let's not be too precious. No one's denigrating his character in saying his wife might have been having an affair.

Denigrating hers though? No, I don't suppose she reads NSC, but even so. A bit of respect, I suppose, is what Lush, and I, are getting at.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Denigrating hers though? No, I don't suppose she reads NSC, but even so. A bit of respect, I suppose, is what Lush, and I, are getting at.

Fair comment, but inevitably people will try and make sense of what seems like a completely non-sensical, out of character act from such an apparently decent man, whether that be mental health issues or other personal factors.
RIP Gary.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Really quite terrible news.

I just heard Dan Walker (I think that's his name) on 5Live talking about having Speed on Football Focus with him only yesterday and how Speed was talking about the golf he had coming up and that he'd only just got into Twitter and Football Focus had boosted his followers so he'd need to tweet more this week.

Everyone who knows him seems to be in complete and utter shock at this - there doesn't seem to be any sort of "I knew he was in a dark place but hoped he'd pull through" kind of talk.

Stephen Fry recently commented that having depression is like having genital warts. You just don`t feel able to talk to people close to you about it. It is easier to talk to professionals about how you feel. I really don`t know if this was true of Gary Speed but like others on here I can only send out condolances to those who knew and loved him.
RIP Gary Speed.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Maybe he needed some light relief and we have ended up with a Milligan.

As oppose to a Roebuck.

Speculation is natural albeit unsavouray sometimes. That thought did cross my mind but I doubt they'd have mentioned suicide and there being no suspicious circumstances if auto-erotic asphyxiation was suspected.

So very sad. No one really knows what another is feeling deep down inside. Depressives can give the impression that all is well and happy in their world but the truth is that they are going through hell. To sink to the desperate depths of depression where death seems to be the only solution are luckily seldom. Most suicide attempts are a cry for help. My sympathy goes out to Gary's family, loved ones and friends.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's in quite a few of the reports, admittedly not those of leading Nationals.

I meant in response to the "why would anyone get up early on a Sunday to..." part of the statement.

He was found this morning, but it's just as likely, albeit irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, that he actually did the deed last night.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Having watched the one minute's "silence" on the BBC website, I must say I'm quickly becoming very bored of the round of applause breaking out. The one minute is for remembering him, not for showing how much you care.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Having watched the one minute's "silence" on the BBC website, I must say I'm quickly becoming very bored of the round of applause breaking out. The one minute is for remembering him, not for showing how much you care.

Without any reference to this particular situation, it does seem these days that it's more important to be seen to care.

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
So very sad. No one really knows what another is feeling deep down inside. Depressives can give the impression that all is well and happy in their world but the truth is that they are going through hell. To sink to the desperate depths of depression where death seems to be the only solution are luckily seldom. Most suicide attempts are a cry for help. My sympathy goes out to Gary's family, loved ones and friends.

Agree with you PSB.

Suffering in silence can only go on so long before you have to find a way out of it. Close friends and family will feel burdened and that awful, terrible feeling of waking up in the morning wishing you hadn't is dreadful. Everyone will be shocked over the actions of a man they thought they knew, but whom they've realised now they hardly knew at all. And in a macho sport such as football, seeking counselling may feel like a weakness. For whatever reasons, care was what Gary Speed needed and it was in short supply in the environment he inhabited. I hope Gary left a suicide note to his family, asking for their forgiveness that he wanted to end it all. It really is so sad but I hope he's finally at peace now.

Last edited:

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
As somebody who has seen the effects of severe depression (my mother) all I can say is it's a terrifying illness, for those affected and their loved ones, my thoughts are with his family, utterly tragic and I'm really quite upset by it, I'm also horrified by some posters remarks and attitudes, fucks sake gentlemen, think before you post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here