Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Speed dies aged 42

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I am not sure it is an inquests job to ascertain why he did what he did. It is just to ascertain how he died.

I find it very sad that people have to speculate why he did it. What useful purpose does it serve? He has gone. His kids have no father. His wife is now a single mother.

I just hope that the speculation that is around the internet and (possibly) in the print media, does not result in the family having to reveal details that they would otherwise not like to give. At the end of the day, it is none of our business. Idle chat in the pub is one thing, unsubstantiated rumours in the public domain are something entirely different.

RIP Gary. I hope you are now in a better place.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd leave the speculation to those it matters to. Life's mysteries aren't all ours to solve. Whatever we choose to gossip and guess over won't bring us a truth or necessarily a satisfactory ending. I'd rather we just felt sad about something and let it be what it was without entering this opinionated competition of who might have supposed best.

Exactly. Very well said.

The people speculating are not looking for 'comfort', they are just indulging their own morbid curiosity, like rubber-neckers at a road crash. They do not need to know.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I doubt anyone's looking for comfort in speculation, surely they are looking for an explanation of what appears to be an inexplicable event in the life of a man people had great respect for and was greatly loved. I wouldn't have been half as stunned by this if I hadn't watched him seeming so level-headed/rational/upbeat, or whatever you want to call it, on Football Focus on Saturday.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I doubt anyone's looking for comfort in speculation, surely they are looking for an explanation of what appears to be an inexplicable event in the life of a man people had great respect for and was greatly loved. I wouldn't have been half as stunned by this if I hadn't watched him seeming so level-headed/rational/upbeat, or whatever you want to call it, on Football Focus on Saturday.

Exactly

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I doubt anyone's looking for comfort, surely they are looking for an explanation of what appears to be an inexplicable event. I wouldn't have been half as stunned by this if I hadn't watched him seeming so level-headed/rational/upbeat, or whatever you want to call it, on Football Focus on Saturday.

I think it is probably terrifying for most of us that someone we might know and love could be in a similar situation without us having an inclination of what they are actually going through.

As a father of 3, whatever drove him to this scares me to the core of my being because whatever it was must have effected him beyond what I can imagine.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Unsure if it has been posted on here as had a very busy day at work and no time to read all the posts... Gary was a VERY close friend and golfing buddy of Steve Harper and Shay Given (the latter obvious from the Swansea / Villa match).

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
One thing it puts to bed for good is this idea that if you've got money, you can't be depressed. Money can certainly help ward off SOME of the things that cause depression (ie you won't lose your house, don't have to worry about paying bills, and can afford to go on holiday). Speed was wealthy, popular, talented and successful. But that was no defence against what was going on in his head.

And that is the thing about depression - it has no logic whatsoever and can happen to anyone from a person living on the streets to a multi-millionaire footballer with everything he has from life with a beautiful wife, great kids, flash cars, luxury homes, designer suits and the fame.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Well it seems that the speculation that he actually suffered from depression has been accepted by those that then comment on how they are outraged by speculation !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here