[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Wow. Is this the reason why you think other presenters are backing GL?

You've misread the room on this occasion. :shrug:

Edit - I see you have deleted some of your post, but after I replied, so it is visible here. Hmmm...
It's probably both HWT. A lot of solidarity as he was wrongly suspended imho, but also the PC herd mentality of every man and his dog now too scared of public consequences of crossing the picket line.

Well never know what % are just Garys friends, what % moral objectors to BBC stupid decision and what % self preservers worried of backlash if they do. But I dare say there's some in each camp.

Incredible OG by the beeb.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He used the word language. He made a direct Comparison to 1930s Germany which was the ground laying for the later genocide of 6m victims.

Say he didn't all you like...... if he really didn't as you suggest, why is the Jewish Council condemning his comments and upset by the attempted equivalence?
If the language the government are using isn't similar to the language used by 1930s Germany, why did Holocaust survivor, and lifetime holocaust educator, Joan Salter MBE say it is?

nealrogers

The real Swans man.
Jul 31, 2011
Hove
He used the word language. He made a direct Comparison to 1930s Germany which was the ground laying for the later genocide of 6m victims.

Say he didn't all you like...... if he really didn't as you suggest, why is the Jewish Council condemning his comments and upset by the attempted equivalence?
That'll be the same Jewish Council that falsely accused Corbyn of being anti-Semitic. And has Starmer's balls in a vice

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Really don't think so H. There will be a significant number of presenters with a fledging media career being advised by their handlers to get on the right side of the room now that the snowball is rolling. A bit naive to think otherwise shirley?
There is a big difference between the reason why fledgling presenters may decide to grasp their chance and step into temporarily empty shoes, and the reason why other presenters are backing GL.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There’s literally nothing vindictive about pointing out NSC’s copyright policy, indeed I have to. Anyone else doing the same would also have been outed and told off.

Anyway, Leeds.
It’s not that, it’s the contemptuous, often high and scornful tone exuded. An unfortunate natural disposition seemingly. It also feels slightly convenient here, as if a grudge might be a contributory factor. Who knows, only you will, but do remember those that preach tolerance are often the least tolerant themselves. Anyway, Leeds as you say. We all hate Leeds. If not the odd Mod :kiss:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Can't say I've followed every aspect of this, but surely the reason all the other commentators have stopped work is because GL has been told to take some time off. Otherwise there is no point in them taking supporting action, as there would be nothing to protest against.
I was incorrect, BBC pulled him. See later on in thread.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not so. "I really can't see why" is a statement of fact - he can't see why and that is a true statement (unless he's lying, which in context seems highly unlikely).
At least three phrases he has used are incorrect and shows the rhetoric is believed.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It’s not that, it’s the contemptuous, often high and scornful tone exuded. An unfortunate natural disposition seemingly. It also feels slightly convenient here, as if a grudge might be a contributory factor. Who knows, only you will, but do remember those that preach tolerance are often the least tolerant themselves. Anyway, Leeds as you say. We all hate Leeds. If not the odd Mod :kiss:
You must be the only person I’ve ever seen who gets caught passing off someone else’s work as their own and someone else is the bad guy.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There is a big difference between the reason why fledgling presenters may decide to grasp their chance and step into temporarily empty shoes, and the reason why other presenters are backing GL.
For sure, big difference between the senior guys who have already made their millions, and the fledgings who have yet to do so. You can bet your life the latter group will have been frantically contacting their media minders to say 'HELP!! How should I play this one?!' :lol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

This lady is not only German but is also a Professor of History. German schools are very careful to teach their recent history to their pupils including the warning signs of right wing ideology and propaganda.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Right. He merely compared language. And that's it.

Previously, you falsely said "he compared the new policy..." - repeating what detractors have disingenuously been saying all week.

Once more from the top. The actually quote from Lineker:

"This is just an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people....

...in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the '30s, and I'm out of order?"

(Happy to stand corrected if he made a direct comparison of policies, mentioned Nazis etcs in other Tweets, btw)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
For sure, big difference between the senior guys who have already made their millions, and the fledgings who have yet to do so. You can bet your life the latter group will have been frantically contacting their media minders to say 'HELP!! How should I play this one?!' :lol:
You may have a point, you cynical old bastard. :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This lady is not only German but is also a Professor of History. German schools are very careful to teach their recent history to their pupils including the warning signs of right wing ideology and propaganda.
An ex GF of mine was unable to watch "Inglourious Basterds" when it was on the telly, finding the opening scenes unbearably upsetting. She's German. It was a massive wake-up call to me....

Anyway, despite the whataboutery, missquoting and lies, the tory placement who run the BBC will have to backtrack pretty sharpish, I suspect, before they make themselves a laughing stock.

@Tom Hark Preston Park has insinuated the likes of Shearer and Wright are backing GL because they are frightened of being 'cancelled' on Twitter. Despite his subsequent caveating, the basic premise strikes me as silly.

And at the same time others are suggesting that most people think GL has gone too far.

The truth of the matter is GL stated a fair opinion in a fair way. And it has triggered the loony right. And lots of decent people have signaled their support for GL. Good. No sensible person has expressed disapproval. Mad Nad and gang are not sensible.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
An ex GF of mine was unable to watch "Inglourious Basterds" when it was on the telly, finding the opening scenes unbearably upsetting. She's German. It was a massive wake-up call to me....

Anyway, despite the whataboutery, missquoting and lies, the tory placement who run the BBC will have to backtrack pretty sharpish, I suspect, before they make themselves a laughing stock.

@Tom Hark Preston Park has insinuated the likes of Shearer and Wright are backing GL because they are frightened of being 'cancelled' on Twitter. Despite his subsequent caveating, the basic premise strikes me as silly.

And at the same time others are suggesting that most people think GL has gone too far.

The truth of the matter is GL stated a fair opinion in a fair way. And it has triggered the loony right. And lots of decent people have signaled their support for GL. Good. No sensible person has expressed disapproval. Mad Nad and gang are not sensible.

That start to the movie was hellish, talk about tension.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

One member of the JC has been quoted who wrote books about the Holocaust (not what Lineker referenced) and was born in 1944. A couple of MPs claiming Jewish links.
1930s politics wasn’t just about sidelining Jewish people, but homosexuals, disabled, Gypsies, Communists. They were all dehumanised.
The Germans even thought the French were subhuman. I’ve been reading about a man who was born in 1943, and was completely ostracised because his father was German in occupied France. There are many facets to discrimination.

Every single time asylum seekers and refugees are described as illegal immigrants or illegals, is dehumanising them.
If they are illegal, why is the government trying to pass a bill to make them illegal? Why is the ECHR and the UN telling this government, they are in the wrong?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It is silly because those two have massive backing on Twitter.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Right. He merely compared language. And that's it.

Previously, you falsely said "he compared the new policy..." - repeating what detractors have disingenuously been saying all week.

Once more from the top. The actually quote from Lineker:

"This is just an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people....

...in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the '30s, and I'm out of order?"

(Happy to stand corrected if he made a direct comparison of policies, mentioned Nazis etcs in other Tweets, btw)
The language around the new policy. 2 sides of same coin..

This is bullshit semantics. I know what he said.

Fwiw.i like Lineker and cannot stand Braverman, i find her repugnant, but the fact is there is no comparison to hitlers Germany or its langauge that murdered 6m innocents.

But that side issue or the ground you want to fight on, is not the issue.

Its not about detractors, Lineker is entitled to his opinion, but as the face of public broadcaster, being paid millions of taxpayers money, he isn't entitled to express it freely wherever he wants, if his employees deems it brings them or their policies into disrepute.

I may think or even say privately my boss acts like a Nazi, say it to him or on SM and I'm history. Just as would Dave from the BBC mail room.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You must be the only person I’ve ever seen who gets caught passing off someone else’s work as their own and someone else is the bad guy.
But isn’t that so you to see and frame it like that. ‘Caught’, ‘work’, ‘passing off’ Such vitriol! Such drama! Talk about storm and teacup, you like to whip one up don’t you? I didn’t give it a moments thought really, you’ve built all the scheming, deliberate intent and thereafter copywrite and legal narrative. I wasn’t trying to do anything. Just read, copy and pasted a few sentences (from much a lengthy article) because it beautifully surmised my feelings too which I’d expressed in other ways earlier. It’s you that’s had the disproportionate take afterwards, threats and all, as if I’ve copied and pasted the entire works of Shakespeare and called myself Bill toboot. Moreover, you missed the subsequent point about your general demeanour. Not just towards me, but plenty of others overtime. I’ve often taken long breaks from NSC and am doing so again. It’s a great pub to visit but you’re no Barbara Windsor. More Billy Mitchell collecting the glasses…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports