Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The BBC is the greatest broadcaster in the world. It's the standard that everyone measures themselves against. If we lose the BBC, it won't be quite as bad as losing the royal family, but an integral part of this country will have gone. But then, I'm an old guy. Terry Wogan

Too often, there are complaints in the British papers about the BBC. It's too left wing, too right wing, too pro-Brexit, too anti, and so on. It's only when you go abroad and try to find out what is going on in the world that everyone falls with gratitude before the BBC News. Sandi Toksvig
I still hold on to David Hare's characterisation of the British: they love three institutions: the monarchy, the BBC and the NHS. I love two of those and, as they say, two out of three ain't bad.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
And let’s not forget radio five live for the football, lots of good content chatting football, Test match special, and all of the county commentary. Oh and bbc online.

Compare that to what Netflix costs a year. It is staggering really.

I simply don’t believe that all the bbc haters don’t ever listen to the radio or access bbc website.
Well that's the other thing... Anyone ever listen to BBC Sussex for the Brighton games? Or the Albion Unlimited Podcast? Or the BBC Sport website? The Brighton coverage is pretty good online, plus Johnny Cantor and Warren Aspinall do a really good job on the Albion matches.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Of course not, you can always scrounge off the people who do pay the licence :shrug:
A bit like when a Union has negotiated a higher pay rise with the employer - I've always felt that the non-union members should receive what was first offered instead of relying on enough people like me to pay the subscriptions to benefit them.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
A bit like when a Union has negotiated a higher pay rise with the employer - I've always felt that the non-union members should receive what was first offered instead of relying on enough people like me to pay the subscriptions to benefit them.
Where I work the non-members complain on the message board at how frustrating it is they have to wait for their pay rises while the Union gets them agreed on their behalf

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here