Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The language around the new policy. 2 sides of same coin..

This is bullshit semantics. I know what he said.

Fwiw.i like Lineker and cannot stand Braverman, i find her repugnant, but the fact is there is no comparison to hitlers Germany or its langauge that murdered 6m innocents.

But that side issue or the ground you want to fight on, is not the issue.

Its not about detractors, Lineker is entitled to his opinion, but as the face of public broadcaster, being paid millions of taxpayers money, he isn't entitled to express it freely wherever he wants, if his employees deems it brings them or their policies into disrepute.

I may think or even say privately my boss acts like a Nazi, say it to him or on SM and I'm history. Just as would Dave from the BBC mail room.
Wokeworrier gave you a thumbs up.

Have a think about that.....

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ah so that's what Lineker really meant, not what you extrapolated that wasn't there!

Ask yourself this honestly, are all of those truly shocking crimes of genocide you list against all sorts of ethnicities, committed by one of the most evil murderous regimes in history, comparative in messaging to a shit British government and its half baked policy on stopping rising numbers of people submitting to criminal gangs and coming here in Dinghys?.... like really just the same?

Whatever you answered is your opinion, youre perfectly entitled to it.

If you then broadcast that on SM and your employer has a SM policy and they believe your opinion damages them or their reputation, do they have to just shut up and say or do nothing? Even if they're the public broadcaster and your wages are tax money.

Because that's not how it works for most employees including most of those in the BBC......... that said, maybe Lineker hadn't signed anything, so he could argue he's not contractually bound by that, but should he be the same as others, yes.

This was a small resolvable issue imho, until some berk wrongly decided to suspend him and its gone nuts....... but from here on in, I dare say, that whatever happens with Lineker, every person representing the BBC will be made to sign up to their SM policy, as most in real world do too
Gary Lineker is freelance, self employed and according to lots of evidence already provided on this thread, to his own views on his own Twitter account.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Wokeworrier gave you a thumbs up.

Have a thing about that.....
Whoever agrees or disagrees is not in my gift HWT, Though it's more the latter!

You're an old school paid up labour member and I agree with/like your political reasoning often, even though I'm not.

Is a wokeworrier like, similar to being endorsed by Trump? I'll look forward to my Nigel Farage merchandise from the postie next week!

Tell you who is absolutely loving the Lineker storm in a teacup.

Matt Hancock.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Whoever agrees or disagrees is not in my gift HWT, Though it's more the latter!

You're an old school paid up labour member and I agree with/like your political reasoning often, even though I'm not.

Is a wokeworrier like, similar to being endorsed by Trump? I'll look forward to my Nigel Farage merchandise from the postie next week!

Tell you who is absolutely loving the Lineker storm in a teacup.

Matt Hancock.
Less of the 'old'. ???

:wink:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Is that a spoof account?
Shockingly that looks like it's real. For charlatan Farage, the author of that sickening poster with queues of Turkish migrants to accuse Lineker of spreading hate, is the absolute height of hypocrisy.

And that after his appearance with the quacks, rascists and fascists at the cpac conference.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I'm reliably informed from Vienna this evening that this news story is being reported in Austria tonight and that the general opinion is they're just very sorry for us at how this country has ended up.

Austrians feel sorry for us - give your head a wobble gammons.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Should MoTD be shown tonight looking forward to seeing football and only football. I will make my own mind up on the standard of attack, defence etc. Hopefully like we all do without so called expert's.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
not a good look, the dg being the story and the pm feeling the need to wade in. how long has davie got?

who would sunak prefer? maybe an opening for the custard filled matress, bungleclunge :unsure:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here