Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
When the BBC is fully state owned.
When you are tapping your mobile phone on POS machines at A&E.
When you can no longer protest without fear of imprisonment.
When Journalists can no longer report on what the Government won't allow
and when you are turned away at the polling booths.
Will you stand in slack jawed bewilderment and say to yourself "they said it couldn't happen here"?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Do you think a reporter who lied to an inquiry should keep his job?
Not all but it somewhat pales into significance into the behaviour of Campbell.

I'm not quite sure what your central point and why you disagree with mine. All Governments end up sniping with the BBC both behind the scenes and in public with things they don't agree with.

Every few years something comes to surface, but this is just another BBC Government fall out.

It's the fall outs that make the news, but all the cooperation that goes on behind the scenes (particularly in terms of national crises or a royal funeral) isn't much of interest.

There are of course some very loud voices at the fringes of the Government regarding privatisation, but it's really a question of funding.

At end of the day, as much as the BBC needs the Government support, the Government needs the BBC.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Will you stand in slack jawed bewilderment and say to yourself "they said it couldn't happen here"?
But we got Covid 19 done, protected the Brexit and delivered Boris Johnson.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I'm not quite sure what your central point and why you disagree with mine. All Governments end up sniping with the BBC both behind the scenes and in public with things they don't agree with.

Every few years something comes to surface, but this is just another BBC Government fall out.

It's the fall outs that make the news, but all the cooperation that goes on behind the scenes (particularly in terms of national crises or a royal funeral) isn't much of interest.

There are of course some very loud voices at the fringes of the Government regarding privatisation, but it's really a question of funding.

At end of the day, as much as the BBC needs the Government support, the Government needs the BBC.
"Why would they kill us? They need us"

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Did you go on to spend over 30 years as a 9/11 educator, researcher and historian, chairing a child survivors of 9/11 organisation and have your work and expertise in this area recognised with an MBE? If so, yes. Joan Salter MBE is not just a survivor of the Holocaust. To paint her as such does her a disservice.

And given Professor Tanja Bueltmann is a german-born, german-speaking historian, yeah, I think she knows a thing or two about the language of 1930s Germany.

My contention isn't with whether you are right or wrong to think Gary Lineker's comments are accurate, or even to discount the opinions of Joan Salter MBE or Professor Tanja Bueltmann.

It is with your claim that people supporting Gary Lineker/what he said have no clue about 1930s Germany. This is demonstrably false (I've given you examples!).
You don't have to agree with him. But this isn't a case where all the people that disagree with you are doing so from a position of ignorance.

Some people who know what they are talking about agree with/have said the same thing as Gary Lineker. Many people on here who weren't around then or haven't dedicated themselves to German/European political history are using those people as sources of information to support their position because they have some pedigree in the area.
What is false is the narrative you're now pushing!
I have NEVER once commented on Professor Tanja Bueltmann, who now you mention it, is a regular columnist for both the Guardian and Huffington Post and you'll find her out on the stump campaigning against the Tories in other issues too if you look. Doesnt make her opinion any less valid either.

Back to Joan Salter MBE, you kept tried to use her in a reply, I ignored it as didnt think it relevant to what Lineker said (within his rights), or if the BBC had the right to deem that as against impartiality, or bringing them into disrepute somehow as said publicly.
But as you persisted I replied, YOU stated she was an authority (On 1930's Germany), as she was a baby who'd escaped Hoocaust in 1940's. I only contended, that she isnt nessesarily based on that alone as you'd asserted...... If she studied it too ( I have no idea) yes she would be more so, still not sure what that has to do with Lineker, unless youre trying to make the argument that the governemnts language is simliar to 30s Germany and trying to use Joan as your proof?,
On multiple occasions I said, she is perfectly entitled to her opinion and validated her right to her opinion.
I studied politics in my youth, have read loads from all sorts of scholars on all sides of the politcal spectrum and with a paticular fascination for both N Korea and the rise of fascism and now populism, I've read a lot around that in my past, plus its very personal to me, in whats happening now very similarly to 1930's Germany in Ukraine. My informed opinion, is the poor langauge choices of our crap government, which could be deemed as divisive or derogatory is still not the same as 1930's Germany.

I know I'm swimming against the tide on NSC and I wont convince anyone else, but however many people you want to trot out to validate the "it really is the same" Lineker defence, I firmly believe it isnt based on my own reasonable understanding of that period.

Politically inflamatory language around immigration is dangerous, its divisive and it shouldnt be tolerated, the government is wrong, but what this government has said is still many steps below the messaging (and actual actions) of enacting a genocide against citizens.
Its a Peter and the Wolf argument, its not defending the Tories (lord forbid), nor discounting someone else right to their opinion, but rather you must never play the "Nazi" card or use that slur glibly, which is also dangerous.

Ive said all I'm going to in this thread. I hope to see Lineker is back soon, and the Tories also get kicked out soon. UTA.

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
First they came for MotD presenters then they came for ME.... :drama:

Seriously .. the amount of hysterical nonsense you read on here is jaw dropping. :facepalm:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Seriously .. the amount of hysterical nonsense you read on here is jaw dropping. :facepalm:
Ooooh I know.

But yeah, I can't imagine you as much of a "bigger picture" kind of fellow. You're looking at a jigsaw in a dark room through a keyhole.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

My point is, in regard to the last few posts, that I asked you to name "a Tory supporting presenter" who was cancelled by Alistair Campbell. You rather arrogantly dismissed it by coming up with Gilligan who was neither a presenter, nor ousted by Labour, but who lied to an inquiry.

My central points are three fold. Firstly that I agree with Lineker that we are heading full tilt towards 1930s Germany with this awful government, secondly that his speaking out against it is therefore necessary and thirdly that the Tory party have, in my opinion, given the BBC an existential problem by giving them the choice of becoming more right wing or losing their funding. New Labour may have done that, but, if they did, it was over 13 years ago, unsuccessful and merely proves the BBC can't be fully neutral.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Generally speaking how are things in the gammon community tonight with all this still going on?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What is false is the narrative you're now pushing!
I have NEVER once commented on Professor Tanja Bueltmann

I know you've said you won't post in this thread any more (and I will try to follow suit), but as you have accused me of a false narrative I want to respond. You said this

As to @Acker79 are they 2 learned people of 1930s German language?

Since I only gave two examples: Joan Salter MBE and Professor Tanja Bueltmann, is it wrong of me to think you are referring to those two people with the above question? A question I simply answered.

Back to Joan Salter MBE, you kept tried to use her in a reply, I ignored it as didnt think it relevant to what Lineker said (within his rights), or if the BBC had the right to deem that as against impartiality, or bringing them into disrepute somehow as said publicly.
But as you persisted I replied, YOU stated she was an authority (On 1930's Germany), as she was a baby who'd escaped Hoocaust in 1940's. I only contended, that she isnt nessesarily based on that alone as you'd asserted...... If she studied it too ( I have no idea) yes she would be more so, still not sure what that has to do with Lineker, unless youre trying to make the argument that the governemnts language is simliar to 30s Germany and trying to use Joan as your proof?,

When she was first brought up on this thread I noted her MBE for dedicating her life to holocaust education. Since you were commenting on the thread, I assume you had seen it earlier. It was noted in some of the links provided. I apologise for not listing her entire CV every time I mentioned her. But since you brought up more details about her life, I also assumed you were aware of the breadth of her pedigree.

Again, it is relevant because you suggested

The 2 things that all those claiming it is actually the same as 1930s language, actually share in common, is in knowing little of the true realities of 30s Nazi Germany language

And they are examples of people who actually do have such knowledge and claim it is the similar and should be called out.

Again, I stress this is just about your claim in that last quote. Not about your position that it is not similar/appropriate to draw comparisons or your preference of other sources.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I know you've said you won't post in this thread any more (and I will try to follow suit), but as you have accused me of a false narrative I want to respond. You said this

Since I only gave two examples: Joan Salter MBE and Professor Tanja Bueltmann, is it wrong of me to think you are referring to those two people with the above question? A question I simply answered.

When she was first brought up on this thread I noted her MBE for dedicating her life to holocaust education. Since you were commenting on the thread, I assume you had seen it earlier. It was noted in some of the links provided. I apologise for not listing her entire CV every time I mentioned her. But since you brought up more details about her life, I also assumed you were aware of the breadth of her pedigree.

Again, it is relevant because you suggested

And they are examples of people who actually do have such knowledge and claim it is the similar and should be called out.

Again, I stress this is just about your claim in that last quote. Not about your position that it is not similar/appropriate to draw comparisons or your preference of other sources.
He forgot Lord Dubs, Alf Dubs, a Czech Jew, I mentioned quite early on in the thread, who was 6 when Sir Nicolas Winton, got him out on the Kindertransport. He has already stood by Gary.
He’s also very concerned about deporting unaccompanied children. It’s horrific.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
One would think so, but my god, there’s some deeply entrenched folks on this thread who’ll dismiss that. It’s astounding.
He already did dismiss it by accusing Mikeyjh of cherry picking the quotes that Gary Lineker was referring to.

The mental gymnastics that people will engage in to stay entrenched is astounding.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I think they are mainly laughing at the Woke community who seem to believe Rishi's stormtroopers will soon come knocking on their doors to confiscate their I ❤️ Gary Lineker posters.
I'll take that as all is not well then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here