Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If I as a 3yo survived 9/11 does it make me a learned expert on Al Qaeda?

Did you go on to spend over 30 years as a 9/11 educator, researcher and historian, chairing a child survivors of 9/11 organisation and have your work and expertise in this area recognised with an MBE? If so, yes. Joan Salter MBE is not just a survivor of the Holocaust. To paint her as such does her a disservice.

And given Professor Tanja Bueltmann is a german-born, german-speaking historian, yeah, I think she knows a thing or two about the language of 1930s Germany.

My contention isn't with whether you are right or wrong to think Gary Lineker's comments are accurate, or even to discount the opinions of Joan Salter MBE or Professor Tanja Bueltmann.

It is with your claim that people supporting Gary Lineker/what he said have no clue about 1930s Germany. This is demonstrably false (I've given you examples!). You don't have to agree with him. But this isn't a case where all the people that disagree with you are doing so from a position of ignorance.

Some people who know what they are talking about agree with/have said the same thing as Gary Lineker. Many people on here who weren't around then or haven't dedicated themselves to German/European political history are using those people as sources of information to support their position because they have some pedigree in the area.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
True, Gavyn Davies, a Labour donor and member of the Labour party became chairman of the Beeb, appointed by Blair. Greg Dyke appointed director general donated £50,000 to Labour. Same old same old.
While I'm sure you're right, the scale and the ambition of the patronage by the Tories is that much grander isn't it? Tories operate on a higher plane.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
It's a side issue and nobody can answer than, except them.

The fact is they were in Belgium and took there baby daughter with them.

They weren't in Germany in 30s.

As to @Acker79 are they 2 learned people of 1930s German language? Or potential Belgian victims of Nazism who ran in the 40s, as truly tragic as that is.

If I as a 3yo survived 9/11 does it make me a learned expert on Al Qaeda? So much so that my childhood experiences in NY supercede other scholars writing of its network in Afghanistan, 10 years earlier?

Like I said, her opinion,.is just that, her experiences and lifetime fighting anti semitimism and the dangers of it, are all important. Her outspokeness about hatred is relevant and needed, Is she "more" of an expert by default on 30s Germany than other scholars?

I don't discount her, or her opinion. Id read much about that time, didn't find it comparable to anything said today (and I don't endorse or agree with govt words or policy).

And her experience didn't change the conclusions I had made from other scholars of the rise of fascism before this.
Bloody hell. not sure where to start if i’m honest. just Listen to ‘Nazi’s: The road to Power’ on (ironically) BBC sounds. Listen to words and rhetoric …. Very depressing.

The conclusion I take from is that you disagree with Lineker because you agree with braverman and so are very uncomfortable with implications. Somehow trying to prove him wrong will make you feel better or vindicated because I can’t see any other reason. Happy to be convinced otherwise.

BTW, I‘m not accusing you or braverman of being Nazi (neither was Lineker). The Nazi’s also had a dim view of people of colour ….

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
That really isn't the issue though. This is about an organisation that supposedly has one set of rules that they want to apply to a sports presenter that used an independent platform with no reference to the BBC to air his concerns but applies them differently to other presenters, seemingly those that lean towards the current government. It also raises questions as to whether the BBC decision was influenced by pressure from tory MPs and/or the tory chairman of the BBC!! At the moment it is about Gary Lineker but it can also be about David Attenborough who seems to have had a controversial episode of his latest documentary relegated to BBC3.
Sorry, I should have added an emoji. (Now added)

I was taking the piss, imagining a scenario which could potentially be worse for the Tories/Lineker detractors than the current setup...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Its not entrenched. It bears little to no resemblance to the unspeakable evil and realities of Nazi Germany in the 30's.

I've got a Ukrainain wife from Mariupol, she is demonised and called a Nazi or a Khokhol by Putin inspired Russians (when Putin is himself a fascist). Her city lies in ruins, 10's thousands are dead, more raped, tortured or injured, family now enslaved under Putin, all cultural references to Ukraine or Ukrainainsm removed or destroyed.

This is far more like 30s Germany was for Jews, from multiple accounts, before it tragically got much worse for Jews. Actual genocide against citizens (and its messaging) is different from poor language around 1 plank of immigration policy.

Conservative party is a shambles, it so often proves itself the nasty party, I think we're all looking forward to change. Johnson was a bullshitting self agrandising idiot domestically, but none of their dog whistle populist utterances are similar to that period.

There're using real issues, like lack of GPs and schooling and trying to blame it on immigrants. Ofc it isnt their fault nor ethnicity related. But there is a grown up argument to be had on tax take versus availability of public services/pensions/housing and social justice.
Abslutely. Criticsing the government is fine, an absolute human right. Perhaps Gary needed a history lesson to realise what 'Germany in the 1930's' was actually all about before making comparisons. Lord knows where we go from here, both sides having implacably painted themselves into a corner!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I seem to recall the Director General was forced to resign....

Quite a telling quote from the NUJ at the time...

Andrew Gilligan also went, who ended up working for Boris Johnson at City Hall. Gilligan who Cambell describes as "personal friend of Johnson".

I hope that answers your question :)

The Government of the day getting pissed off with the BBC isn't exactly new, neither is them doing so fuelled by perception of political allegiance.
Gilligan - a reporter - went because Lord Hutton said his evidence was totally unreliable. That's quite different to putting out a tweet. Although giving unreliable evidence certainly confirms the Johnson link.

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Bloody hell. not sure where to start if i’m honest. just Listen to ‘Nazi’s: The road to Power’ on (ironically) BBC sounds. Listen to words and rhetoric …. Very depressing.

The conclusion I take from is that you disagree with Lineker because you agree with braverman and so are very uncomfortable with implications. Somehow trying to prove him wrong will make you feel better or vindicated because I can’t see any other reason. Happy to be convinced otherwise.

BTW, I‘m not accusing you or braverman of being Nazi (neither was Lineker). The Nazi’s also had a dim view of people of colour ….
You couldnt be further from the truth.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Gilligan - a reporter - went because Lord Hutton said his evidence was totally unreliable. That's quite different to putting out a tweet.
The similarity is the rabid response to the BBC. Campbell (unelected) went from from studio to studio attacking the BBC. Even today he is describing Gilligan as "friend of Boris Johnson", he's never got over it.

The reality is when the Government gets in a pickle it often gets in an argument with the BBC and questions it's impartiality and that applies to both major parties.

Not much is new.

Campbell unfortunately is a complete hypocrite on this subject.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The BBC has always had politically appointed figures and ex politicians taking senior jobs. To be fair it wasn't much different under New Labour.
Except that New Labour liked the idea of the BBC whereas the tories want to defund it and flog it off.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Except that New Labour liked the idea of the BBC whereas the tories want to defund it and flog it off.
Possibly now, but remember the Tories have been taken over by an extreme wing.

The relationship between the BBC and Government of any flavour is very much that of the House of Lords. Happy all the time their people are in charge and it isn't criticising them.

I'm also just about old enough to remember what Thatcher did to ITV.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The similarity is the rabid response to the BBC. Campbell (unelected) went from from studio to studio attacking the BBC. Even today he is describing Gilligan as "friend of Boris Johnson", he's never got over it.

The reality is when the Government gets in a pickle it often gets in an argument with the BBC and questions it's impartiality and that applies to both major parties.

Not much is new.

Campbell unfortunately is a complete hypocrite on this subject.
Do you think a reporter who lied to an inquiry should keep his job?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Possibly now, but remember the Tories have been taken over by an extreme wing.

The relationship between the BBC and Government of any flavour is very much that of the House of Lords. Happy all the time their people are in charge and it isn't criticising them.

I'm also just about old enough to remember what Thatcher did to ITV.
Now is all that matters. The extreme wing wants to privatize the BBC.

Think how much money it would bring into the coffers, to be fairly distributed among stout citizens seeking to manage contracted out services, such as increasing amounts of the NHS. Schools next.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Abslutely. Criticsing the government is fine, an absolute human right. Perhaps Gary needed a history lesson to realise what 'Germany in the 1930's' was actually all about before making comparisons. Lord knows where we go from here, both sides having implacably painted themselves into a corner!
davie has caved in, he's wording the fudge as we speek

will he and sharp tough it out tho?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here