Gary Dicker

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
I find Dicker the most frustrating player in our squad to watch. What I find frustrating is that he constantly points and waves his arms around, unnoticed, thinking he is Roy Keane or some midfield general , while managing to avoid most of the play, rather like Robert Codner did for a period with us. I did get this impression to an extent in league 1, though am prepared to give him benefit of doubt as his injury would obviously affect his confidence . He'll need to get stuck in and involved, leading by example this season though, or I for one won't enjoy watching.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
The opinion he is no longer good enough to START for us says more about our progress, than disrespecting him! He has improved from average L1 player to top L1 player/bottom champ player....... we are no longer these things as a club. Useful squad player until his contract is up then thank you very much but probably find someone better to pay these wages to. Harsh but fair and not meant as attacking him.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
People will eat their words by saying Dicker isn't good enough at this level. On ability he can be left behind a bit in this league sometimes but head wise he's one of the quicker players on the pitch..
Definitely think he will prove the doubters wrong. Wasn't so long ago he was storming league 1.. (Dicker will be the new Ashley Barnes on here.. slated until people catch on and realize that he's actually quite good, then everyone will quickly change their opinions)
Ability wise he gets left behind? Don't think so.
Physically he gets left behind, yes, he's never been the quickest and when we're out of posession he can look like he's running through treacle. It's what he does with the ball that is so good.

I'm not quite sure why Gus played him for 90 minutes in every game after he came back from injury when he was clearly blown out, and I think that's contributed to the anti Dicker bandwagon we see currently. Though why people seemingly fail to notice even his excellent games such as Reading and Watford is a bit of a mystery.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I don't think he can be disappointed with last season. He gets a lot of criticism on here, but I think he adapted superbly. His knackered leg was a big blow and it coincided with a downturn in our form. Unpopular opinion, but it doesn't bother me.

Might be an unpopular opinion, but it does have legs.

I like Dicker, he works hard and does a job. We looked after him well during his recovery, and from his interviews i think he appreciates that. I think we'll see better from him this year, and who knows...maybe he'll get that call up for Ireland that he wants if all goes well.

griff9

Mar 17, 2009
brighton
Ability wise he gets left behind? Don't think so.
Physically he gets left behind, yes, he's never been the quickest and when we're out of posession he can look like he's running through treacle. It's what he does with the ball that is so good.

I'm not quite sure why Gus played him for 90 minutes in every game after he came back from injury when he was clearly blown out, and I think that's contributed to the anti Dicker bandwagon we see currently. Though why people seemingly fail to notice even his excellent games such as Reading and Watford is a bit of a mystery.

Sorry, your quite right, I guess I didn't make myself clear.
I meant as you said.. he's never gonna be the quickest, the fittest or strongest (same as Barnes)
He may not have the ability of someone like LuaLua (Strength, pace, power) but head wise he is one of our top players and that's why Gus rates him in my opinion (Dicker knows our system inside out and fully believes in it)
Well that and as you said his vision and general passing ability which are obviously his main strengths

Last edited:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I would rather see Harley,still think he has plenty to offer if he could get his attitude right.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wouldn't write him off as quickly as many on here but will be disappointed if he is in our starting line up at Hull unless he has shown dramatic change around in pre season games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports