Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Dicker

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Jesus f***ing Christ.

He had a long term injury, he's not gonna turn into Xavi is he!

Easy fella I don't suppose he will turn into Xavi on his holidays. By now he should have painted the front of the house and cut the grass a couple of times, but he has probably just been playing golf.

griff9

Mar 17, 2009
brighton
People will eat their words by saying Dicker isn't good enough at this level. On ability he can be left behind a bit in this league sometimes but head wise he's one of the quicker players on the pitch..
Definitely think he will prove the doubters wrong. Wasn't so long ago he was storming league 1.. (Dicker will be the new Ashley Barnes on here.. slated until people catch on and realize that he's actually quite good, then everyone will quickly change their opinions)

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think it's only right we give him a chance to prove himself at this level. He had a serious, career threatening injury, and then struggled for form when he came back. I seem to remember all the resident twats on here giving KLL stick a couple of months after he had returned from a serious injury. It takes time! I cant imagine he's exactly on mega money, and Gus likes him because he follows his instructions EXACTLY. Decent enough squad player to have around the place, if he doesn't cut the mustard this season then cheerio.

Think that is very fair

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I thought he did well at the start of the season. I seem to remember him running the game against Blackpool at the Amex. Unfortunately he didn't really get back up to speed after his injury but with a good pre-season, hopefully he'll have a part to play next season even if he isn't a regular starter.

Also had a superb game away at Pompey in August.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
He has got no future with us if we plan to make an assault on promotion. Average player at this level imo.
Yep spot on kev,nice lad is dicker but he is no way a championship player,no creativity,no goals,snail pace,gives the all away a lot.I hope i get proved wrong but i know i won't.:)

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Anyone who thinks Dicker is good enough for a Premier League push is deluded in the extreme. Get rid.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Don't you just love the support our supporters give to some of our players. I guess for some until we've signed Rooney, Gerrard, Messi and Ronaldo and all their contemporaries, our players will be treated with this sort of contempt. What are you honestly expecting, we're traditionally a lower legue team with great aspirations, and one recent decent season in the 2nd flight to our name. Get over yourselves, we have players who got us to tenth last season. We have already strengthened the team, and you know we will continue to do so, but that the unpleasant and frankly unkind comments about players who wear the stripes defies belief to me.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Great eye for a killer pass and we missed that when he was injured.Unfortunately he gets caught in possession too often,which we didn`t miss. Squad player at best.

also very fair, at least if we do sign the big midfielder we all feel we were missing last year.

However, I don't think it will be Dicker who will be the big loser if we do. It's much more likely to be Sparrow in my view. His biggest asset has been as really the only midfielder who can get ahead of the ball in the opponents' half but with Vicente playing regularly, a box-to-box midfield "boss" type, and JFC coming through, Sparrow's strengths will be at less of a premium.

Last edited:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Great eye for a killer pass and we missed that when he was injured.Unfortunately he gets caught in possession too often,which we didn`t miss. Squad player at best.

That would be my assessment too. Can pick out a good pass but he gets caught in possession due to a real lack of pace.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Also had a superb game away at Pompey in August.
Defensively that was the best game Dicker has had for us. Put in one hell of a shift. There was a challenge he made in the first half when Pompey were bearing down on goal that sticks in my mind.

He tends to split opinion, and I can see why to be fair. People remember him giving the ball away cheaply, or getting dispossessed in dangerous areas - but that is counteracted by the fact he takes more risks than our other (conventional) central midfielders, in that he is always looking to link midfield and attack - which is the role he has under Gus. Take the Watford home game for example - I walked out of that thinking he'd had an absolute shocker, yet watching back the extended highlights, I noticed just how many forward, progressive passes he made that led to chances.

Interested to see how regularly Poyet plans to use him next season, but I think he'll prove at the very least a worthy squad player. The fact that he's now the longest serving midfielder at the club by some distance must say something?

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Don't you just love the support our supporters give to some of our players. I guess for some until we've signed Rooney, Gerrard, Messi and Ronaldo and all their contemporaries, our players will be treated with this sort of contempt. What are you honestly expecting, we're traditionally a lower legue team with great aspirations, and one recent decent season in the 2nd flight to our name. Get over yourselves, we have players who got us to tenth last season. We have already strengthened the team, and you know we will continue to do so, but that the unpleasant and frankly unkind comments about players who wear the stripes defies belief to me.

SPOT ON

We rattle on about players showing us no loyalty when a better offer comes along surely that works both ways.
When a player has stuck with us through the tough times & helped us to get where we are now surely he deserves
a bit more credit than he is getting.
Let's not forget he was in the team that beat Stockport to keep us in league 1 under Russell slade.

Mackerboy

Sep 20, 2011
Great squad player and offers us something different which I think gus likes as he plays him when he is fit or like the end of last season not quite fit. Broken legs are hard to comeback from and those games would of done him good so hopefully he can hit the ground running this season.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
No one has been nasty or personal towards Dicker or this thread. Just a lot of people expressing their opinion that he isn't good enough if we want to push on to the next level.

Same applies to Ankergren, Brez and Painter. All good players who have served us well but unfortunately aren't good enough for where we want to be. That's life and all the while any criticism is directed at our players is sensible and not abusive, then there's no reason for people to get into a huff over it.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Don't dislike him, but as with Painter, he's not quick enough for this level.

Get rid.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010

I agree that the comments of many relating to some of our players are indeed very much over the top.

Sadly however, although a great guy, I will be surprised if we see GD contributing very much to the team in the forthcoming season. I will be happy to be proved wrong !

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
No one has been nasty or personal towards Dicker or this thread. Just a lot of people expressing their opinion that he isn't good enough if we want to push on to the next level.

Same applies to Ankergren, Brez and Painter. All good players who have served us well but unfortunately aren't good enough for where we want to be. That's life and all the while any criticism is directed at our players is sensible and not abusive, then there's no reason for people to get into a huff over it.

Comments or statements like 'get rid' are not written with any empathy, they are unkind at best. Why not express your opinion in a more respectful manner? The man is going to be giving his all for the stripes next season, you should perhaps think about putting the same effort in yourselves. We may well be challenging for the Premier League, and there is a high likelihood that some of the players mentioned in this thread will play a significant part in that challenge. Probably as well that none of you are responsible for building and maintaining the squad.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Comments or statements like 'get rid' are not written with any empathy, they are unkind at best. Why not express your opinion in a more respectful manner? The man is going to be giving his all for the stripes next season, you should perhaps think about putting the same effort in yourselves. We may well be challenging for the Premier League, and there is a high likelihood that some of the players mentioned in this thread will play a significant part in that challenge. Probably as well that none of you are responsible for building and maintaining the squad.

Agree Get Rid might not be the most tactful phrase but that was put after my post and by someone who has a bit of a repuation for being over dramatic.

If Dicker is in the side against Hull then I will cheer him on same as everyone else in the side. Away from a match I'm not going to lie and pretend I think he's worthy of a place in our side at the moment. I accept that's my opinion and others disagree with it. I've never been nasty towards any player on here and never do anything other than cheer all the players on when they're playing for Brighton and Hove Albion.

Unfortunately there is no room for sentimentality in football and that's why the likes of Navarro have not been offered new deals, despite playing a big part in recent seasons. As I said earlier it's a shame but as Gus says 'tha futball'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here