What phone is better

• Galaxy S2

Votes: 33 46.5%
  • Iphone 4

Votes: 38 53.5%

• Total voters

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
iPhone is way ahead of anything in pretty much everything. They also lose no value over time.

Are you for real? The 4S has only just caught up with the SII...

True about losing no value over time though. Aren't first generation iPhones still worth about 100 quid? Not bad for a phone with no 3G

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My contracts up for renewal in a week's time.

I'm in this very dilemma; Iphone or Galaxy GS2...

where I work 3 of my colleagues have all independently gone for the GS2, and it does look a wonderful piece of kit.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

(As I've said before: buy an Android phone and have it usurped within a few weeks with the next 'best Android phone ever')

But this is actually quite a positive thing when it comes to pricing, isn't it? Do people in this country actually buy phones without a contract? Genuine question as I don't know. A quick, unscientific look at the Orange website tells me that an iPhone 4S comes free with a £46 a month, an iPhone 4 comes free with a £36 a month contract and a Samsung Galaxy S2 comes free with a £31 a month contract (all 24 months). In this case it's probably the fact that the Galaxy S2 is about to be usurped as the 'best Android phone' that's lead to this pricing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But this is actually quite a positive thing when it comes to pricing, isn't it? Do people in this country actually buy phones without a contract? Genuine question as I don't know. A quick, unscientific look at the Orange website tells me that an iPhone 4S comes free with a £46 a month, an iPhone 4 comes free with a £36 a month contract and a Samsung Galaxy S2 comes free with a £31 a month contract (all 24 months). In this case it's probably the fact that the Galaxy S2 is about to be usurped as the 'best Android phone' that's lead to this pricing.

Plenty of people I know here have. It takes a cash commitment, of course, and I appreciate a lot of folk can't do that. But if you can, you can get a cheap contract (such as GiffGaff (O2 really) for a tenner a month incl. unlimited data and unlimited texts) and also have complete flexibility when it comes to moving to another phone as and when they may want or need to.

But you're right - in the Android world the price of a phone falls quickly so if you stay behind the leading edge you can pay less. Apple's position is such that they have no need to lower the price of a phone until a new one comes along in a year or so.

...and, remember again, what the shonky Android phone manufacturers do to you when they bring out a new phone. You fellas with last week's "best Android phone ever" get forgotten about when it comes to software upgrades.

the understatement: Android Orphans: Visualizing a Sad History of Support

Oh, you've still got 18 months of your contact to run, you say?

I got involved in a discussion about this on the Guardian website earlier in the week. As an android user I got very excited when my HTC Desire HD got (wirelessly) updated from Froyo (2.2) to Gingerbread (2.3). However it made absolutely no difference to how I used the phone. There may have been some optimisation (I can't say I noticed any) but nothing significant changed. I think that this is because any functionality that I thought was missing (such as the ability to transfer apps to the SD card) was already done on my phone, by a third party app. iOS updates are more significant, because Apple tends to bar apps which replicate processes they want to include in the OS. I've already got some of the Ice Cream Sandwich styling on my phone because someone released it as a theme for icons and my screenlock app updated to include it, before it's even properly available. As I said, I may miss out on some optimisations of memory or battery, but that's about it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The simple truth is, of course, that all of the modern smartphones are incredibly powerful mobile computers. There are very few, if any, bad ones and you'll almost certainly be delighted with whatever you choose.

There's no wrong decision.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] - how much better than the Iphone4 is the Iphone4S?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] - how much better than the Iphone4 is the Iphone4S?

Not much - better camera, faster and slicker and Siri (voice recognition).

If you're buying new, you'd be silly not to get the 4S, but if you already had a 4 there's little point upgrading.

Siri is amazing by the way.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

If you're buying new, you'd be silly not to get the 4S, but if you already had a 4 there's little point upgrading.

Kate will be going straight from the 3Gs to the 4S (or 4 depending upon the terms on offer).. I've been a Sony Ericsson and Nokia user for years, but having a ipod touch I can see the ease of use of the iphone...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Haven't got round to upgrading my 3GS yet. Is it worth me paying out a tidy sum for a 4S or just taking a 4 on the cheap/free in exchange for a new contract?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Haven't got round to upgrading my 3GS yet. Is it worth me paying out a tidy sum for a 4S or just taking a 4 on the cheap/free in exchange for a new contract?

If the difference is significant, go for a 4 on a 12 month contract so you can upgrade to 5 a year from now. But as Apple are listing SIM free phones as:

iPhone4 / 8gb - £429
iPhone4s / 16gb - £499

...is there really much difference in the contract prices?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
They're getting great reviews aren't they?

Bit of a headwind they're having to deal with now though, but the Nokia tie-up will help them no end (or sink them both).

Actually the new Nokia's looked alright on TV. The 'cheaper' version might fill a market hole.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
They're getting great reviews aren't they?

Bit of a headwind they're having to deal with now though, but the Nokia tie-up will help them no end (or sink them both).

According to my friend who had the Dell Streak and a string of HTC's, while Android is fun, can be tweaked and poked and you can really learn to love it, WP7 just works.

iOS just works too but he said that the fact windows phones are cheaper without noticeable difference make iPhones a fashion statement rather than a well thought out purchase.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here