Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gai Assulin

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Some of the comments writing him off on the basis of a handful of appearances are pretty funny.

If these people were in charge at big clubs, Thierry Henry and Didier Drogba never would've had the careers they had.

A lot of people here have seen enough to see that this chap is definitely worth a longer look. Had superb close control and technical ability. He's 21 FFS. Ridiculous.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Some of the comments writing him off on the basis of a handful of appearances are pretty funny.

If these people were in charge at big clubs, Thierry Henry and Didier Drogba never would've had the careers they had.

A lot of people here have seen enough to see that this chap is definitely worth a longer look. Had superb close control and technical ability. He's 21 FFS. Ridiculous.

Exactly, even if a player has a bad match it's about looking at their skills, ability and dedication rather than just their match performance. Assulin seems to have some skill and some ability. Does he have the dedication to grow that? Well Gus probably knows.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Seriously? Have we come that far that we can disregard a player who has graduated through the Barca academy because he didn't play amazingly well in the few and far between appearances he had for us?

I do like the sound of this Greg Bobkin chap though!

Same number of letters in the first name.
Same number of letters in the surname.
Only one letter less in the team name.
I think Greg Bobkin from Stevenage is code for Emil Heskey from Aston Villa....

.... Well it works better than Michael Owen and Liverpool.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010

Now now Mellotron, he made up to 7 appearances for us spread across 3 months. At the age of 20/21 he should have scored at least 3 and assisted 5 goals to be worthy of a look as a free transfer. The fact he looked slightly rusty after not actually playing ANY first team football in this country, or in Spain and playing for a team who didn't win for a long time - shouldn't be completely disregarded

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Had superb close control and technique, just final ball lacking at times. I would still be interested.

That was the problem, final ball! That's the difference between a player who looks good, plays pretty patterns, and someone who delivers something.

Hey, not satying he's a bad player, not at all, but I think we are more excited by the clubs he's been with than what we've seen. If it was my Greg Bobkin fella, we'd be reading people compare him to Dean Cox.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Sweet jesus i cant believe what i am reading. Gai is made of paper and produced nothing in his appearances fir us. We have much better at what he does already. Complete waste of wages.

How much have you seen of him to come to that judgement? At West Ham I thought he looked like the only person who offered creativity in the team, although maybe a little work still needs to be done. Get him on a free as long as wages aren't too much.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
How much have you seen of him to come to that judgement? At West Ham I thought he looked like the only person who offered creativity in the team, although maybe a little work still needs to be done. Get him on a free as long as wages aren't too much.

Id argue his lack if stature was one of the reasons West Ham killed us in the first twenty mins. Its easy to start playing when your 3 down.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Based on what little I've seen of him, I struggle to see how he would fit into our first XI - IF we get Vicente back and given that it looks like we'll play a big midfielder with Bridcutt. I'm not sure if he would want to be a squad player having barely played any first team games.

He's clearly got talent though.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
Based on what little I've seen of him, I struggle to see how he would fit into our first XI - IF we get Vicente back and given that it looks like we'll play a big midfielder with Bridcutt. I'm not sure if he would want to be a squad player having barely played any first team games.

sums it up for me

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Have a look at some of the footage from the Barcelona youth team or whatever. He's got amazing talent. Most of that is still potential but maybe Gus can unlock it. I'd love it if he signed for us. Since when have we turned up our noses at players whose previous clubs were Barcelona and man city? He's flair.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
"Gai is technically very capable, and has great ability on the ball. He showed great potential as an outstanding young talent under Pep Guardiola at Barcelona - I hope he can realise some of that potential here at Brighton." Poyet described the loan move for Assulin as a "no-brainer" and a "unique opportunity."

Brighton exercised its option to extend Assulin's loan deal until the end of the season

Of course we'll go for him if he's available.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Was injured a lot and didn't really float my boat - far too inconsistent. As others on the thread observed - no real end product.
He's far too lightweight when it's recognised that we really need a bit more height and muscle in midfield if we are going to compete with the better teams in next year's championship.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Very good player. Gus didn't play him that much at the end of the season to give our actual players a chance but imo he would be in our starting 11 next season

Stumpy Tim

If there's one thing I learned last season, it was that Gus doesn't have a first XI. He has a first 16 maybe, but even that seems flexible

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Again IMO the guy is not a winger more an old type inside- forward or if you don't know what that is, Messi plays that position. Whether Gus could find a position for that sort of player I doubt, cause if Vicente returns it's his position in the team.
Spot on.

He had a couple of good appearances, and some bad/anonymous ones, but he's young and clearly got talent.

Worth a punt, especially if Vicente goes, but even if he stays.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here