Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fridge Freezer in rented property keeps breaking, should landlord pay for food?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
So you have to pay for your damaged furniture, that was caused by the damp they refused to fix.

I don't want to buy new stuff, the new flat we are renting is a friend of our current landlord and how we found out about the place, but I suppose I'm not squabbling with the landlord over this , my argument is with the agents, they're the most inept, useless ***** I've ever had the displeasure of having to work with. When we were due for contract renewal last year (when our boiler was also broken) they said they wanted to put it up £50pm. As I was in contact with the landlord at the time I brought it up with him, and he denied all knowledge (which I would expect him to to pass the buck). So when I queried with the agents they said and I quote "with the increase in the market and your desirable location that is what it's worth now". Letting agents inflate and control the market just to make as money as possible, this lot weren't interested in looking after us, they just wanted the money. The fact that they can just screw your life up for £50 is downright disgusting.

If I didn't have to keep coughing up £800pm on poxy rent I might be able to actually save some money and buy my own house:rant::rant::rant:

Rent control is very much needed. And will stop all this buy-to-let business.

The agents can't overrule the landlord so you should be OK.

That's what I was thinking, it was only a verbal agreement so I just hope he hasn't changed his mind. He shouldn't, the place is exactly the same as when we moved in bar a slightly dirty carpet just inside the front door, which should be included in the fair wear part of the contract.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I still can't see how there was thatmuch food in a fridge. Most stuff that's going to go off as a result of the fridge being off would only last for 3 days (4 tops) anyway, so they can't have had more than 4 days worth of food. How much is that going to be worth really? £30/40 tops. If they're asking for more than that, they're trying it on.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
[MENTION=20792]spongy[/MENTION] is it leaders you're renting with?

I've rented with them a few times and they've always been dishonest money grabbing c**ts. You'll probably find they're screwing the landlord as well.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I still can't see how there was thatmuch food in a fridge. Most stuff that's going to go off as a result of the fridge being off would only last for 3 days (4 tops) anyway, so they can't have had more than 4 days worth of food. How much is that going to be worth really? £30/40 tops. If they're asking for more than that, they're trying it on.
The problem is, the fridge has gone wrong a few times.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
[MENTION=20792]spongy[/MENTION] is it leaders you're renting with?

I've rented with them a few times and they've always been dishonest money grabbing c**ts. You'll probably find they're screwing the landlord as well.

No it's Stanley & Partners. I won't deal with them again. It was mine and Ms Spongys first place together and I was shocked at just how much they charge in fees, credit references (that cost about £20 in real life), deposits and stuff. I only wanted to rent a one bedroom flat and had to find the best part of £2.5k just to move into the place. It took me 18 months to save that up. And they treated us like shit!!! They didn't work weekends and there was no emergency number to get in touch with them in case anything did ever go wrong.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
The problem is, the fridge has gone wrong a few times.

You can only but ask, for me it would be the principle of it, why should you be expected to buy more food just because the landlord is trying to fix an important appliance on the cheap just to save a few quid. It's not like fridge freezers cost the earth these days is it?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
No it's Stanley & Partners. I won't deal with them again. It was mine and Ms Spongys first place together and I was shocked at just how much they charge in fees, credit references (that cost about £20 in real life), deposits and stuff. I only wanted to rent a one bedroom flat and had to find the best part of £2.5k just to move into the place. It took me 18 months to save that up. And they treated us like shit!!! They didn't work weekends and there was no emergency number to get in touch with them in case anything did ever go wrong.

Ok never been with them. The best one I've been with around mid sussex was stewart & partners, they weren't perfect but they didn't try and rob me from every angle like leaders used to.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You can only but ask, for me it would be the principle of it, why should you be expected to buy more food just because the landlord is trying to fix an important appliance on the cheap just to save a few quid. It's not like fridge freezers cost the earth these days is it?
Well he is a complete ****

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Ok never been with them. The best one I've been with around mid sussex was stewart & partners, they weren't perfect but they didn't try and rob me from every angle like leaders used to.

I hope this place works for us and not having letting agents is the right call. Our new landlord is a very similar age to me and we both have common interests so hopefully things are going to go well as a working relationship, and if I can become quite "chummy" with him he'll feel guilty about asking to put the rent up when it's contract renewal time.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Interesting - how much did you take off, a few days worth?

Sorry - only just picked this up. I think a weeks worth of rent or so. My logic was that they weren't able to enjoy the property because of the fault (and it was a cold winter) so if they wanted they could afford to spend a night or two in the local premier inn or whatever rather than shiver in my flat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here