Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fridge Freezer in rented property keeps breaking, should landlord pay for food?

D

Deleted member 18477

I think a decent landlord wanting to maintain a good relationship with you would a) Make some offer for your losses and b) Replace the damn thing. Certainly wouldn't recommend trying to make arbitary deductions from your payments, that's not the way to conduct business....

This. Use a bit of common sense first. What's your relationship with your landlord? Would you care if he didn't renew your contract? If you want to stay and he wants you there then surely you can come to a sensible arrangement...

For the sake of a few hundred quid if I were the landlord I'd buy a new one, especially if the rental came with one to begin with...

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Had a similar experiencewhen my fridge freezer went, me and the missus spent the day cooking off dinners so they were microwave ready to avoid loss of food.

We did lose the fish which was unavoidable but meat was saved, protein intake was at its maximum that week :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Although I agree with you on some levels, this is also a demand and supply question. Landlords today have it easy and my place rent out within 15 minutes of it coming onto the market with people legging it back to the esate agent to put a deposit in ahead of someone else. Business practise is an evolving art and as a private landlord I do not have to consider reputational risk (branding) to the extent you refer to. When supply eventually will outstrip demand then I agree with you that to be competitive I will need to change business practise and win business by adding the nice to have's.

You sound like a right ****.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Talk to the landlord, be civil, put across a good case and try to at least meet half way. If there is the risk of you leaving, and a week or two with the property unoccupied i.e. a few hundred quid at least lost in rent, he might as well come to an arrangement with you about some food.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh how noble of you. Don't believe a word of that though. If you're such a charitable person, dump your letting agent and reduce your rent by 15%. Or maybe sell your property to someone trying to get on the housing ladder.

I think my assessment is more accurate.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Although I agree with you on some levels, this is also a demand and supply question. Landlords today have it easy and my place rent out within 15 minutes of it coming onto the market with people legging it back to the esate agent to put a deposit in ahead of someone else. Business practise is an evolving art and as a private landlord I do not have to consider reputational risk (branding) to the extent you refer to. When supply eventually will outstrip demand then I agree with you that to be competitive I will need to change business practise and win business by adding the nice to have's.

Not having a landlord who is actively looking to **** me over is a nice to have?

Sad thing is he's right and with 50% of our MP's buy to let landlords I don't really see this area being regulated any time soon.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
how much value are we talking about here? a few score? if you like the place, have a decent landlord and the fridge/frezer is now replaced, i don't think I'd bother making a big fuss. ask is it going to worth your time to chase it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
"Reputational risk".

Words fail me.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Now we are packing up and moving things we have discovered that the bottom corner of the room below the mould is covered in mould as well, we have never noticed because it is blocked from view by a chest of drawers. The damp and mould has warped our furniture so we can't get the drawers out, the backs of them are covered in mould and the clothes at the back of the drawers are covered in mould too. Can we claim for this?
Yes.
I'm not cleaning it off when I go so the agents can see the problem for themselves, and I bet they try and keep some of our deposit for the privilege too.
Don't pay your rent for the last couple of months. They will probably screw you over, and they owe you money.

This. Use a bit of common sense first. What's your relationship with your landlord?
To quote Obi-Wan: He's me.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
As a landlord myself, if anything essential to everyday living breaks then I reduce the next month's rent by the number or days that it was broken. Items I include in this are: hot water, heating, cooker and fridge-freezer.

For stuff that you can live without for a day or two, such as the dishwasher, I just arrange to get it fixed ASAP at the tenant's convenience.

You should ask your landlord to reduce your next month's rent by however many days the fridge was out of action. He'll probably be fine about it.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Don't pay your rent for the last couple of months. They will probably screw you over, and they owe you money.

We're all paid up now, we're moving on Saturday.

I have had a good relationship with the landlord overall, we've looked after the place and has verbally promised all our deposit back, whether the agents agree or not is another matter entirely. They better give it all back, we're going to a private rented flat so we can cut out the ******* letting agents. I despise them in all forms.

He is happy to wait for his deposit, so we have agreed for him to have the deposit from this place when it is returned, if our current agents try and keep any we're in serious strife, and with a 7 month pregnant fiancé the last thing I need is not getting keys and being technically homeless.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So you have to pay for your damaged furniture, that was caused by the damp they refused to fix.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I have had a good relationship with the landlord overall, we've looked after the place and has verbally promised all our deposit back, whether the agents agree or not is another matter entirely. They better give it all back, we're going to a private rented flat so we can cut out the ******* letting agents. I despise them in all forms.

He is happy to wait for his deposit, so we have agreed for him to have the deposit from this place when it is returned, if our current agents try and keep any we're in serious strife, and with a 7 month pregnant fiancé the last thing I need is not getting keys and being technically homeless.

The agents can't overrule the landlord so you should be OK.

D

Deleted member 18477

To quote Obi-Wan: He's me.

:lolol: so depending on your relationship with your tenants would for me determine if I gave them compensation for the food.

Are they generally good people? Or are they are pain?

D

Deleted member 18477

Had a similar experiencewhen my fridge freezer went, me and the missus spent the day cooking off dinners so they were microwave ready to avoid loss of food.

We did lose the fish which was unavoidable but meat was saved, protein intake was at its maximum that week :lolol:

Common sense. You can't buy the stuff!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
:lolol: so depending on your relationship with your tenants would for me determine if I gave them compensation for the food.

Are they generally good people? Or are they are pain?
They're good tenants. Relationship was good before the bloody FF kept breaking. First the fan on the cooling elements went, so I replaced that. Then thermostats, so I replaced those. Then it stopped again, so I got the main repairers round and they replaced a thermostat again. And it's stopped again. So the whole things going. Cost me plenty already. Just thought I'd try and get advice on compensating for food.

D

Deleted member 18477

They're good tenants. Relationship was good before the bloody FF kept breaking. First the fan on the cooling elements went, so I replaced that. Then thermostats, so I replaced those. Then it stopped again, so I got the main repairers round and they replaced a thermostat again. And it's stopped again. So the whole things going. Cost me plenty already. Just thought I'd try and get advice on compensating for food.

Hmm. Ok. So like others have said business is about both parties being relatively happy... I would personally compensate... £50-100 maybe depending on what was in the fridge.

Fridge freezer is a new one, should be end of story... And the main thing is, you're seen as a very understanding and loyal landlord (good for them and you) and they're still seen as nice people for now... (Good for you)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here