Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fridge Freezer in rented property keeps breaking, should landlord pay for food?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Being a landlord myself I would tell them to **** off. Not my problem. What's next, ants in the cupboard ruining the breakfast cereals.

If they pushed I would ask for individual receipts for all items claimed .

This , I remember the 3 day week back in the 1970's where there would be rolling electricity blackouts across Brighton and Hove when the power was only on for a 3 hour block. Anything perishable was bought on the day it was eaten , there was nothing in the freezer and the fridge had a few salad items.

SweBHAFC

Nov 16, 2009
The weekly rent is 425 so mid market tenants (a typical professional couple) but don't think that is relevant.
I also supply a TV/DVD. If the DVD plyer damage my tenants DVD disc, should I pay for that as well?

There is taking the piss and taking the piss. My opinon (which most Guardian readers on here seem to disagree with) is that reimbursement for food in the fridge is a step too far.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
The weekly rent is 425 so mid market tenants (a typical professional couple) but don't think that is relevant.
I also supply a TV/DVD. If the DVD plyer damage my tenants DVD disc, should I pay for that as well?

There is taking the piss and taking the piss. My opinon (which most Guardian readers on here seem to disagree with) is that reimbursement for food in the fridge is a step too far.

I'm also a landlord and I provide a fridge freezer. If it broke down once and they lost some food I would not pay. If it broke down several times I would compensate them to maintain a good relationship. If they had champagne and caviar in the fridge I'd put the rent up (a lot).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
425 a week is a lot for a place for 2 people (unless it's big) in Brighton isn't it? I just feel that with a more expensive place, more is expected.

If your DVD player chews up their DVD, then yes.

My opinon (which most Guardian readers on here seem to disagree with) is that reimbursement for food in the fridge is a step too far.
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

I'm also a landlord and I provide a fridge freezer. If it broke down once and they lost some food I would not pay. If it broke down several times I would compensate them to maintain a good relationship. If they had champagne and caviar in the fridge I'd put the rent up (a lot).
Thanks.

I'd like to offer the tenants some money off, just not sure how much. I could ask them what they've lost, and go from there.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

If you've got a shit dvd player and it ruins something of your tenants, OF COURSE you should have to ****ing pay for it. Ridiculous question.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

You don't sound like a very good Landlord. For a start you seem like a bit of a shit and secondly, putting non-essential items in there like DVD players is just asking for trouble from both sides. I had a landlord once that left a stereo, dvd player, some kind of console in there. I got him to take it all out. Firstly I had my own stuff, secondly I don't want to be responsible for his toys. That way disputes and excuses for landlords to steal deposits can be reduced.

In this particular case the Landlord should get a brand new FF and bung them 30 quid for food. Being a landlord isn't just about sitting on your arse and reaping the rewards, sometimes you have to put back in.

This is the problem with blokes who get some capital and buy to let to make profit. More often than not they don't have the first clue about business. The golden rule of making any deal is everyone being happy. Generating resentment with a client is never good business practice.

Last edited:

SweBHAFC

Nov 16, 2009
You don't sound like a very good Landlord. For a start you seem like a bit of a shit and secondly, putting non-essential items in there like DVD players is just asking for trouble from both sides. I had a landlord once that left a stereo, dvd player, some kind of console in there. I got him to take it all out. Firstly I had my own stuff, secondly I don't want to be responsible for his toys. That way disputes and excuses for landlords steal deposits lies.

In this particular case the Landlord should get a brand new FF and bung them 30 quid for food. Being a landlord isn't just about sitting on your arse and reaping the rewards, sometimes you have to put back in.

This is the problem with blokes who get some capital and buy to let to make profit. More often than not they don't have the first clue about business. The golden rule of making any deal is everyone being happy. Generating resentment with a client is never good business practice.

Although I agree with you on some levels, this is also a demand and supply question. Landlords today have it easy and my place rent out within 15 minutes of it coming onto the market with people legging it back to the esate agent to put a deposit in ahead of someone else. Business practise is an evolving art and as a private landlord I do not have to consider reputational risk (branding) to the extent you refer to. When supply eventually will outstrip demand then I agree with you that to be competitive I will need to change business practise and win business by adding the nice to have's.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I'm just in the process of moving out of my current flat this weekend into a new place.

For the last year we have had damp/mould in the corner of the ceiling where a tv aerial comes through, I've told the letting agents about it and they've just been telling me to clean it off with bleach, which I have been doing, but I wanted the cause of the issue fixed, which they or the landlord never did, despite my frequent phone calls.

The cause is blocked guttering which I can't reach or have access to because of the flat downstairs, and also a missing tile in the roof which isn't helping matters. Both landlord and agents are aware of this. But sill nothing has been done.

Now we are packing up and moving things we have discovered that the bottom corner of the room below the mould is covered in mould as well, we have never noticed because it is blocked from view by a chest of drawers. The damp and mould has warped our furniture so we can't get the drawers out, the backs of them are covered in mould and the clothes at the back of the drawers are covered in mould too. Can we claim for this? I've now got to buy new furniture as we need it for the new place.

I'm not cleaning it off when I go so the agents can see the problem for themselves, and I bet they try and keep some of our deposit for the privilege too.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Although I agree with you on some levels, this is also a demand and supply question. Landlords today have it easy and my place rent out within 15 minutes of it coming onto the market with people legging it back to the esate agent to put a deposit in ahead of someone else. Business practise is an evolving art and as a private landlord I do not have to consider reputational risk (branding) to the extent you refer to. When supply eventually will outstrip demand then I agree with you that to be competitive I will need to change business practise and win business by adding the nice to have's.

Well you are right about supply and demand for sure. It's a shame that people in business, be it property or otherwise feel it's okay to treat clients with disdain because the client needs you more than you need them. I hope that rent control gets reinstated at some point. Then landlords will be doing all they can to retain tenants, won't be making unreasonable profit and have to meet certain standards.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

So moral human decency is only required when it isn't so easy to rent out your property ? It's landlords like you that give all landlords a bad name.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

You don't have to be a Grauniad reader to recognise a nasty piece of work.

SweBHAFC

Nov 16, 2009
So moral human decency is only required when it isn't so easy to rent out your property ? It's landlords like you that give all landlords a bad name.

Jeez - Not having moral human decency = not compensating someone for their food.

Take [MENTION=20792]spongy[/MENTION]'s situation above as an example, this is one where I would take my moral responsibility as a landlord (providing letting agency has told me and given me a chance to rectify and I have failed to do so). Rememebr when I was a tenant and how much anguish mould caused me.

You just seem like someone who jumps on a bandwagon (which ever is in season) and make rash statements about people like myself. I am self aware enough to realise my political views are not in line with the typical Brightonian, but my moral human decency is on par with the rest of you.

I agree that it takes a certain kind of person to create wealth (which afterall is how we measure success in our Western economy) and I can only conclude that people in the arse end of Hangleton is not one of them....

Must go, NYSE opens in in less than 2 hours and I have not had lunch yet.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Jeez - Not having moral human decency = not compensating someone for their food.

Take [MENTION=20792]spongy[/MENTION]'s situation above as an example, this is one where I would take my moral responsibility as a landlord (providing letting agency has told me and given me a chance to rectify and I have failed to do so). Rememebr when I was a tenant and how much anguish mould caused me.

You just seem like someone who jumps on a bandwagon (which ever is in season) and make rash statements about people like myself. I am self aware enough to realise my political views are not in line with the typical Brightonian, but my moral human decency is on par with the rest of you.

I agree that it takes a certain kind of person to create wealth (which afterall is how we measure success in our Western economy) and I can only conclude that people in the arse end of Hangleton is not one of them....

Says it all really. No self awareness.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Take @spongy's situation above as an example, this is one where I would take my moral responsibility as a landlord (providing letting agency has told me and given me a chance to rectify and I have failed to do so). Rememebr when I was a tenant and how much anguish mould caused me.

Given you use a letting agent you clearly aren't a very clever landlord.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I am not doing it for the money. I am doing it to help the housing shortage in this country....

Oh how noble of you. Don't believe a word of that though. If you're such a charitable person, dump your letting agent and reduce your rent by 15%. Or maybe sell your property to someone trying to get on the housing ladder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here