Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Forward planning.... ( Management team )

Stumpy Tim

I hope Bruno is learning all he can from Potter - Brunoball could be the next evolution.

While I'm not sure it would be Bruno, it wouldn't surprise me if the next appointment would be from inside the club. It's very well-known that Lallana wants to move into coaching and management, and I'm sure he mentioned that when he signed. The club have talked about building a "boot-room" mentality, hence former players like Crofts, Dicker, Bruno and Greer being involved, as well as experienced internationals like Lallana and Welbs.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We know that before GP was appointed, the club had been monitoring him and his progress, so it stands to reason that we're succession planning here as well.

I think the candidates are identified and I think this conversation will have happened with GP's knowledge, approval and input.

I have no idea who of course, but I look at Liam Rosenior and think he's got a similar demeanour and mindset and it will be interesting to find out if he has similar tactical acumen.

I suppose the problem with head coach succession planning is that people move on so regularly. We could be keeping tabs on someone now, but there's no guarantee he'll be available or that his stock will still be as high in 6 months, a year or 2 years time.

The problem with Liam, (and l do like him), is that, at the current time at least, he has had so little coaching, and even less managerial, experience.

He needs far more time to develop in the roles l think before a move up to the Premier League can be contemplated.

Lets see how he makes out in the Derby hotseat this season.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
I think Albion, TB, GP and PB are a marriage made in heaven :shrug:

I think the TB, DA, GP and PB was a match made in heaven.

DA has since left but I don't think we have seen any real ramifications of this yet.
We may further down the line as I fear a few dodgy results for Newcastle and DA will push for Newcastle to get GP up there as he did here. He's recruited BHA staff already and it will be all set for GP in time.

el punal

While I'm not sure it would be Bruno, it wouldn't surprise me if the next appointment would be from inside the club. It's very well-known that Lallana wants to move into coaching and management, and I'm sure he mentioned that when he signed. The club have talked about building a "boot-room" mentality, hence former players like Crofts, Dicker, Bruno and Greer being involved, as well as experienced internationals like Lallana and Welbs.

If we were to follow that path of developing our players from raw recruits into the first team squad then why not with our coaching staff. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have our own evolving coaches promoted from within. Similar to maybe the Liverpool way of the 1970s and 1980s. Shankly retired, then it was Bob Paisley, Joe Fagan, Kenny Dalglish and so on.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing

DA has since left but I don't think we have seen any real ramifications of this yet.
We may further down the line as I fear a few dodgy results for Newcastle and DA will push for Newcastle to get GP up there as he did here. He's recruited BHA staff already and it will be all set for GP in time.

Yep agree on Toon - if smug eddie doesnt pick up some wins i can see him getting the gooner before the World Cup and they'll with DA at the helm try to lure GP

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Listening to the 5 Live MNC podcast episode this week, one of the many positives highlighted by the panel was our seamless transition of new recruits into the squad without seemingly suffering a drop in effectiveness..... my questions are...

Do we think that Tony B and the club have a similar plan in place for the inevitable departure of Potter and his team?... do we think there are a couple of candidates already identified?... who ( realistically) do we think they may be.?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If Southgate were to fail in Qatar, depending on what we deem failure?, then there would likely be an almost nationwide campaign for him to get the job.

Difficult one for GP, if he turns the FA down once will he get asked again?

With that in mind, TB and Mr Barber will almost certainly have a Plan B in place.

Promote from within?

Lallana and Bruno?

Or go for an established, proven name?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yep agree on Toon - if smug eddie doesnt pick up some wins i can see him getting the gooner before the World Cup and they'll with DA at the helm try to lure GP

I don’t, GP will see how impatient they are, and turn them down imo

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
If Southgate were to fail in Qatar, depending on what we deem failure?, then there would likely be an almost nationwide campaign for him to get the job.

Difficult one for GP, if he turns the FA down once will he get asked again?

With that in mind, TB and Mr Barber will almost certainly have a Plan B in place.

Promote from within?

Lallana and Bruno?

Or go for an established, proven name?

Or their plan B might include allowing Potter to manage England as well as Brighton. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Or their plan B might include allowing Potter to manage England as well as Brighton. Where there's a will, there's a way.

The only issue with that would be the rest of the EPL and the wider football community citing a conflict of interests.

Imagine in your scenario, if the Albion were doing well but England were struggling in their respective Qualifying Group?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The only issue with that would be the rest of the EPL and the wider football community citing a conflict of interests.

Imagine in your scenario, if the Albion were doing well but England were struggling in their respective Qualifying Group?

Oh, there would be many issues, and many scenarios which might or might not happen. Bjorn Hamberg has been with Potter for 11 years, and filled in for Potter when he had Covid. I suspect they trust each other.
Both the England manager job and the Brighton manager job can be delegated.

Nothing is insoluble. And nothing would surprise me with this club.

Rather than think outside the box, we lift the lid off the box and climb out of it.

By the way, it's been done before. Dick Advocaat is just one. He managed AZ Alkmaar and the Belgian national side....

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I don’t, GP will see how impatient they are, and turn them down imo

Not in heartbeat do I think he’d consider the club formerly affectionately known by many by the cuddly monicker ‘the toon’ and now known as something else. I’m not sure why people think they’re a big draw, geography is a big negative factor, and beyond the money they are basically just another club, albeit one with a decent sized fanbase, a club in the shadow of the big 6.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

If you had your way Barry David Lloyd, with some afterlife assistance from Doris Stokes, would be back at the helm post-GP!

:amex:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Depends on when it happens obviously.

That Roberto Martinez, if available, will be a candidate is quite likely. Very similar football philosophy and has, usually with success, worked with small budgets in the past.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I think you may find that EH will perform rather better than many on here seem to think. Despite his big Bmuff connections he is proving to be a flipping good manager.

PS . . . why are we insisting on using initials? ???

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Would only work as a short term solution, until a permanent manager was found.

If you think it would work in the short term, what do you think would happen to make it unworkable in the long term?

Are you saying Potter's ability to hold both jobs down, would get worse over time? All the evidence we have seen is that he improves over time.

With experience, people adjust, learn, improve, delegate, work remotely, work smarter not harder etc.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The only permanent football manager in the country? A job for life?

Football management doesn't work like that, nor should it. GP is doing an unbelievable job, but everybody has a shelf life.

At some point, he or the club will move on.

That said, i'd be very happy to offer him a (even) longer or improved deal

Charlie Webb?

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
If you think it would work in the short term, what do you think would happen to make it unworkable in the long term?

I don’t think either the club or England would be happy with it as a long term solution. Particularly in years when there’s a Euro’s or World Cup on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here