Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Forward planning.... ( Management team )

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Listening to the 5 Live MNC podcast episode this week, one of the many positives highlighted by the panel was our seamless transition of new recruits into the squad without seemingly suffering a drop in effectiveness..... my questions are...

Do we think that Tony B and the club have a similar plan in place for the inevitable departure of Potter and his team?... do we think there are a couple of candidates already identified?... who ( realistically) do we think they may be.?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Listening to the 5 Live MNC podcast episode this week, one of the many positives highlighted by the panel was our seamless transition of new recruits into the squad without seemingly suffering a drop in effectiveness..... my questions are...

Do we think that Tony B and the club have a similar plan in place for the inevitable departure of Potter and his team?... do we think there are a couple of candidates already identified?... who ( realistically) do we think they may be.?

Who says Potter's departure is inevitable?

I would have thought it much more likely that Bloom, Barber et al are plotting a deal to tie him down. I would offer him part ownership, so that he has a hugely enhanced vested interest in staying, and FA rules might prevent him from leaving to join another club.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

I would have thought it much more likely that Bloom, Barber et al are plotting a deal to tie him down. I would offer him part ownership, so that he has a hugely enhanced vested interest in staying, and FA rules might prevent him from leaving to join another club.
Part ownership what?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
We know that before GP was appointed, the club had been monitoring him and his progress, so it stands to reason that we're succession planning here as well.

I think the candidates are identified and I think this conversation will have happened with GP's knowledge, approval and input.

I have no idea who of course, but I look at Liam Rosenior and think he's got a similar demeanour and mindset and it will be interesting to find out if he has similar tactical acumen.

I suppose the problem with head coach succession planning is that people move on so regularly. We could be keeping tabs on someone now, but there's no guarantee he'll be available or that his stock will still be as high in 6 months, a year or 2 years time.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

The only permanent football manager in the country? A job for life?

Football management doesn't work like that, nor should it. GP is doing an unbelievable job, but everybody has a shelf life.

At some point, he or the club will move on.

That said, i'd be very happy to offer him a (even) longer or improved deal

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The only permanent football manager in the country? A job for life?

Football management doesn't work like that, nor should it. GP is doing an unbelievable job, but everybody has a shelf life.

At some point, he or the club will move on.

That said, i'd be very happy to offer him a (even) longer or improved deal

Offer him a directorship, if only to prevent him from going to a rival club.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I wouldn't be surprised if the recruitment was internal - or at least the first opportunity given was internal. If GP leaving means that things have worked and are continuing to work, you wouldn't necessarily want to bring in a whole new team, you'd want to continue along that same path.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I hope Bruno is learning all he can from Potter - Brunoball could be the next evolution.

I also hope we have someone learning from Bjorn H as well.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I hope Bruno is learning all he can from Potter - Brunoball could be the next evolution.

Bruno would be a sentimental choice but I'm not sure he'd get the role ahead of anyone else. My guess is that they have a constantly evolving shortlist of three or four, and that Potter even has a hand in that. Don't be surprised if that choice is a left-field progressive selection from a smaller nation or a lower division.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Of course TB is. No idea what GPotts goals are, but look at Dan Ashworth, there are some offers 'too good to resist' which could pull him away.

I'm sure there are people within the Bloom Empire monitoring potential future managers just incase something should happen.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

I would like to think that Bruno still being involved is an indication that he may be part of this forward planning... Bruno has a football intelligence that could translate to Potter style coaching skills.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Does anyone know exactly what Bjorn Hamberg's and Billy Reid's roles are?

Bjorn took charge when Potter had Covid in January.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
GP has been given pretty good tools and backing, I am really hoping that he's our Wenger, I just hope we don't hound him out like Wenger, that was disgusting imo and they are only just recovering.

I think Albion, TB, GP and PB are a marriage made in heaven :shrug:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

There was talk a few weeks ago of Calde coming back to Brighton. Everything's gone quiet on that but he's got a similar CV to GP, with a masters degree in sports psychology. He's currently an assistant manager in Spain but he could well feature in long term plans.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He’s on Chelsea fans wish list most want TT gone. Surely he would have to take that one if offered. Still you never know working under immense pressure might not be his thing.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Lallana, Bruno and Calde dream team :love:

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
IMO all of the big six EPL clubs aspire to win the EPL and/or other trophies this season or next. Their managers will be assessed over such short time periods. GP doesn’t do overnight success. I think that he enjoys a project and is very happy to manage our club. I can’t see him moving abroad either, because of his children’s education. I really believe that he is here for the long haul. He did spend seven and a half years at Östersund.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here