Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flightradar

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I assumed "the man upstairs" referred to Gatwick tower...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Amazing skill - look at how he lines it up after it's touched down, having skewed it to one side initially. Amazing. No pressure, eh?

LOVE the way he basically asks the ATC "erm, are we on fire at all?". Cool as the proverbial cucumber.

Normal landing at Gatwick. There's nearly always a cross wind which requires a slide landing. He did well but believe me it was a landing he trained for. That's why they earn good money most of the time they are spending their time filling out their expense forms. However when required they earn their dosh.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Normal landing at Gatwick. There's nearly always a cross wind which requires a slide landing. He did well but believe me it was a landing he trained for. That's why they earn good money most of the time they are spending their time filling out their expense forms. However when required they earn their dosh.

He seemed to stop very quickly.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Love the Argus summary
'Reports a plane, flight VS43 tried to carry out an emergency landing near Gatwick Airport.'

Would have thought at the airport would have been preferable

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He seemed to stop very quickly.

Yes there's settings for auto braking. If I remember rightly 1 to 6 on B747's. Depending on the length of runway the number is set. For a standard length runway 3 or 4 is set thus reducing wear on tyres and brakes.

He would of set it to 1 so mad braking applied so less chance of the wing dipping. This would have increased the chance of brake fire but given the on hand fire services not a problem.

Hopefully answered that ok bruv.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Has anyone observed that this wouldn't have happened in Germany yet? Can I be the first?

This must have been the plane that passed far lower than they usually do over my house at around 14:00 this afternoon just as I was going out. Got a good view of it, I am used to them being fairly low but never low enought to make out the airline details clearly! All's well that ends well as they say.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Yes there's settings for auto braking. If I remember rightly 1 to 6 on B747's. Depending on the length of runway the number is set. For a standard length runway 3 or 4 is set thus reducing wear on tyres and brakes.

He would of set it to 1 so mad braking applied so less chance of the wing dipping. This would have increased the chance of brake fire but given the on hand fire services not a problem.

Hopefully answered that ok bruv.

All is now clear!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
'
All is now clear!

Standard practice after such a landing would be to change all the tyres and brakes. . There's heat monitoring of the brakes.

Auto braking is standard procedure on all landing. It has nothing to do as such with auto land systems.

My guess to the problem was a tyre disintegrated on take off. The debris fouled the sides of the bay or undercarriage doors thus jamming it against the structure. It happened before on one I worked on. As I mentioned before the wing undercarriage on the B747 twists as it enters the bay. This is unusual but means it's susceptible to problems. I took me ages to suss out how it even gets in the space. Very clever design.maybe!!

2-0 yes

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
surprised they kept it there for so long, would have thought they could "shunt" it off on to the side field for inspection.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
surprised they kept it there for so long, would have thought they could "shunt" it off on to the side field for inspection.

No before it moved it needed to be levelled by placing a Jack under the wing as it was basically listing. The steps wouldn't reach the doors. Added to which a planes centre of gravity is quite balanced. Many bodies moving about could literally knock it of balance given one of the wing(outer) undercarriages was up

Crennis

Apr 13, 2011
Pompey (send help!)
Everything in and out of Gatwick is being cancelled or diverted to Luton or Stansted at present. If Gatwick had a 2nd runway, it would still be open right now....

Probably not, the airport can't operate until their on-site fire service are readily available again, guessing they would still have been fully taken up with the evacuation and ensuring the safe removal of the aircraft.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
As many have already said, really pleased this has ended without major incident / injury.

Now, here's the dilemma, those 440 odd passengers were all expecting to be in Vegas tomorrow.
How many of them will have been put off flying and will now not travel when virgin call them up to board the replacement flight?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
inside Plane Virgin Atlantic Flight VS43 "Emergency Landing" at Gatwick Airport (VIDEO)

D

Deleted member 22389

Felt for those people yesterday, must have been bloody terrifying up there, so glad they touched down safely. It's only when I went out of my door I saw the Virgin Plane circling did I realise the extent of the issue. Then I put Sky News on.

D

Deleted member 22389

As many have already said, really pleased this has ended without major incident / injury.

Now, here's the dilemma, those 440 odd passengers were all expecting to be in Vegas tomorrow.
How many of them will have been put off flying and will now not travel when virgin call them up to board the replacement flight?

I'm OK flying but I always have the doubt in my mind, what if. Mechanical things do go wrong from time to time and obviously working in Engineering you tend to look at how everything is assembled outside your window.
If it was me I wouldn't be getting on another flight after that experience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here