Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flightradar

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Unexpected incidents of this kind DO happen quite a lot, but this one was definitely towards the more extreme end of the scale. The jettisoning of so much fuel, the prolongued re-routing and the multiple landing attempts indicate that.

A massive well done to all involved for bringing this one to a safe conclusion.

well done indeed.Just saying with the recent air asia incident it's newsworthy for the media. They do it all the time.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
My brother is an aeronautical engineer for Virgin at LGW.

For some reason he's working for EasyJet tonight though.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
That's great news. All involved, even Dicky Branstone, must have have been bricking it as the runway got closer.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Well done to the crew, apparently it was a textbook landing in this scenario. With over 400 on board it had potential to be a disaster but it has been averted.

First time I have known the M23 and the Brighton Mainline to be closed due to an emergency landing too - but good decision to do so just in case. Total length of closures for the M23 and railway was around 10-15 minutes - of course had they not have been closed, there could have been something very serious, especially if VS43 came down short of the runway in the path of a commuter train.

Everything in and out of Gatwick is being cancelled or diverted to Luton or Stansted at present. If Gatwick had a 2nd runway, it would still be open right now....

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Well done to the crew, apparently it was a textbook landing in this scenario. With over 400 on board it had potential to be a disaster but it has been averted.

First time I have known the M23 and the Brighton Mainline to be closed due to an emergency landing too - but good decision to do so just in case. Total length of closures for the M23 and railway was around 10-15 minutes - of course had they not have been closed, there could have been something very serious, especially if VS43 came down short of the runway in the path of a commuter train.

Everything in and out of Gatwick is being cancelled or diverted to Luton or Stansted at present. If Gatwick had a 2nd runway, it would still be open right now....

Why would an aircraft with a landing gear problem come down short of a runway? me thinks you have been watching to many disaster movies...

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Why would an aircraft with a landing gear problem come down short of a runway? me thinks you have been watching to many disaster movies...

I'm guessing, but maybe because they didn't know the full extent of the damage and wanted to use the full extent of the runway and therefore would land earlier than normal, meaning that the normal safety area needed to be extended?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

Amazing skill - look at how he lines it up after it's touched down, having skewed it to one side initially. Amazing. No pressure, eh?

LOVE the way he basically asks the ATC "erm, are we on fire at all?". Cool as the proverbial cucumber.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
First time I have known the M23 and the Brighton Mainline to be closed due to an emergency landing too - but good decision to do so just in case.

feels rather OTT for the road. okay the rail is a ~100m from the run way, but the M23 is about 2km (1 1/4 miles in old money)

Amazing - tremendous skill (& poss a little help from the gentleman upstairs)

let not invoke deities into this, unless you want to accept that they allowed the failure in the first place. you know, just as a test or something.

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
feels rather OTT for the road. okay the rail is a ~100m from the run way, but the M23 is about 2km (1 1/4 miles in old money)

let not invoke deities into this, unless you want to accept that they allowed the failure in the first place. you know, just as a test or something.

Okay, okay but listening to the jumbo flying out into seaford bay time and time again all I could do was pray - higher power, positive thoughts - I'm not really sure ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here