Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] First female referee appointed in the EFL

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
That`s a ridiculous comparison , i am talking about contact sport where there is an opportunity to feign injury for profit or just con the ref . You are talking about a completely different type of skill sets .

The comparison works perfectly well.

Even in your narrow example of a player trying to profit or con a ref - unless there’s never been a criminal that has tried to fool the police or a judge.

You just don’t want to be persuaded from your set (and in my opinion wrong) point of view.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
What a load of utter shit.

If, ironically, it takes a female ref to actually have the balls to uphold the laws of the game, as they are written and intended (on the subjects of foul and abusive language, and of dissent) then all credit to her.

Don't blame her for the 'discrepancy' in officiating - that's on those before her who have seen fit to ignore laws of their choosing, to avoid having to deal with it.

Foul and abusive language is (should be) very easy to ref:
Example 1: Player skies an open goal, swears at himself. Ignore it / have a quiet word next time you're within earshot.
Example 2: Player swears, with aggression at an opponent. Issue a warning, and leave at that unless repeated.
Example 3: Player swears directly AT the ref. Straight red. No discussion. Shameful that they've let the likes of Rooney get away with that kind of thing for so long. In doing so, they've made their jobs, and those of every ref, at every level, that bit harder.

Example 1: Most people swear when they stub their toe , and you want a ref to " have a quiet word next time you`re within earshot "
Example 2: That must depend on why he swore at an opponent , or are you just going to issue dozens of warnings , because there will be dozens of players swearing at each other some with aggression .
Example 3: Excellent idea , i can picture it now , Old Trafford 76,000 fans and the opposition need a point to stay up , and the oppo manager does a Neil Warnock and puts 3 fringe players on and tells them to get sent off for swearing at the ref then tells a couple to feign injury . Result game called off after 30mins , 76,000 fans all swearing at the ref . " The Battle of Bramall Lane 16-3-02 .
Swearing is a part of life , but we curb ourselves and respect others , but footballers are full of adrenalin in a money orientated sport tensions are high . I am not saying it is right , but like it or not that`s the way it is and has been for longer than you and i have been around .

Last edited:

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Yet...

NINTCHDBPICT000614842964-e1603104202887.jpg

You do seem rather exercised by this news - is it really that much of a shock or concern...?

I think i invest so much into football that ANY significant change is a shock and concern to the system . But what amazes me the most is why my opinion ( which is in NO way disrespectful ) is being used to fit an agenda .

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
The comparison works perfectly well.

Even in your narrow example of a player trying to profit or con a ref - unless there’s never been a criminal that has tried to fool the police or a judge.

You just don’t want to be persuaded from your set (and in my opinion wrong) point of view.

That`s fine i respect that , maybe i am wrong , but why cant you make a comparison within football not the legal system . That way i might better understand your point .

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
That`s fine i respect that , maybe i am wrong , but why cant you make a comparison within football not the legal system . That way i might better understand your point .

OK, I'll give it a go with a football example.

Arrigo Sacchi's ability as a coach/manager was doubted because he had never been a player of any notable standard. His response when questioned on it? "I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first."

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Example 1: Most people swear when they stub their toe , and you want a ref to " have a quiet word next time you`re within earshot "
Example 2: That must depend on why he swore at an opponent , or are you just going to issue dozens of warnings , because there will be dozens of players swearing at each other some with aggression .
Example 3: Excellent idea , i can picture it now , Old Trafford 76,000 fans and the opposition need a point to stay up , and the oppo manager does a Neil Warnock and puts 3 fringe players on and tells them to get sent off for swearing at the ref then tells a couple to feign injury . Result game called off after 30mins , 76,000 fans all swearing at the ref . " The Battle of Bramall Lane 16-3-02 .
Swearing is a part of life , but we curb ourselves and respect others , but footballers are full of adrenalin in a money orientated sport tensions are high . I am not saying it is right , but like it or not that`s the way it is and has been for longer than you and i have been around .

In the first two examples, all I'm setting out, is that the ref has scope to consider the spirit of the laws, as much as the law itself. The law isn't there to serve justice on every player who lets slip an expletive in frustration or anger, during a game. But whilst you wouldn't want to impose any real punishment for such minor transgressions of the law, the law in question DOES exist, and it does referees no favours at all to pretend it doesn't. As such, a brief word / informal warning, reminds the player of that, without affecting the game. That is decent refereeing. (If in 'your' game, there are 'dozens of players swearing at each other', then truly you are a spectacularly poor referee, without any semblance of control).

Your extrapolation of example three is just silly nonsense. A. If the manager in question wanted to have the game abandoned, there are any number of ways to get his players sent off, as it stands -or as per your example he could just make all five 'feign injury' if it were so simple. B. Its a really stupid idea, because having got their game abandoned through multiple red cards, they wouldn't get the point they needed anyway :shrug:

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
OK, I'll give it a go with a football example.

Arrigo Sacchi's ability as a coach/manager was doubted because he had never been a player of any notable standard. His response when questioned on it? "I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first."

If you go back to the Spurs ( A ) game when Kane backed into Lallana and won a penalty ( outside the box imo ) we lost 2-1 because of that . In the studio afterwards all the pundits said the ref was conned and you had to be a player to spot what he did , that was my point . In that one particular incident it proved my point , it is not 100% foolproof but what is . I was saying that ex players who wanted to stay in the game , could become refs and they would not have got conned as the original ref did .

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
If you go back to the Spurs ( A ) game when Kane backed into Lallana and won a penalty ( outside the box imo ) we lost 2-1 because of that . In the studio afterwards all the pundits said the ref was conned and you had to be a player to spot what he did , that was my point . In that one particular incident it proved my point , it is not 100% foolproof but what is . I was saying that ex players who wanted to stay in the game , could become refs and they would not have got conned as the original ref did .

You've really shat your bed over this haven't you? Can't see the reason to get so worked up about (a female ref) myself.

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
In the first two examples, all I'm setting out, is that the ref has scope to consider the spirit of the laws, as much as the law itself. The law isn't there to serve justice on every player who lets slip an expletive in frustration or anger, during a game. But whilst you wouldn't want to impose any real punishment for such minor transgressions of the law, the law in question DOES exist, and it does referees no favours at all to pretend it doesn't. As such, a brief word / informal warning, reminds the player of that, without affecting the game. That is decent refereeing. (If in 'your' game, there are 'dozens of players swearing at each other', then truly you are a spectacularly poor referee, without any semblance of control).

Your extrapolation of example three is just silly nonsense. A. If the manager in question wanted to have the game abandoned, there are any number of ways to get his players sent off, as it stands -or as per your example he could just make all five 'feign injury' if it were so simple. B. Its a really stupid idea, because having got their game abandoned through multiple red cards, they wouldn't get the point they needed anyway :shrug:

With the Sheff utd v WBA game it was originally scheduled to be replayed until WBA kicked up so much stink that 5 days later the FA awarded the game to them , but stupid or not it very nearly worked . I am not suggesting that this would become a regular occurrence , merely that giving a strict zero tolerance red card rule has it`s flaws because you have nothing to fall back on .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
With the Sheff utd v WBA game it was originally scheduled to be replayed until WBA kicked up so much stink that 5 days later the FA awarded the game to them , but stupid or not it very nearly worked . I am not suggesting that this would become a regular occurrence , merely that giving a strict zero tolerance red card rule has it`s flaws because you have nothing to fall back on .

Your argument against it makes no sense. There are plenty of other offences that are already mandatory (zero tolerance) red /or yellow cards - punching an opponent / spitting at an opponent / last-man fouls, etc. Christ, if you really wanted to get sent off without actually getting violent, you could just take your shirt off twice.

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Your argument against it makes no sense. There are plenty of other offences that are already mandatory (zero tolerance) red /or yellow cards - punching an opponent / spitting at an opponent / last-man fouls, etc. Christ, if you really wanted to get sent off without actually getting violent, you could just take your shirt off twice.

I genuinely don`t have an argument , my opinion is that giving a straight red card for swearing at the ref is problematic at best .

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Isn't it amazing how many posters with similar views all seem to leave a space before and after a comma.

Falmer Wizard

Jun 23, 2020
I have to agree with the statement that all refs should have played at a decent level to experience what goes on,this is going to be very difficult for females

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I categorically disagree that refs should have to have played the game. Most referees are students of the game and support football clubs, so to paint them as complete novices is not the case. Additionally, their job is to apply the rules of the game. We may disagree with their interpretation at times but having ex-pros as referees will only increase the inconsistency in decision making. For example, a striker's interpretation of a foul in the box will be completely different to a defender's - you see it all day long on punditry, and I think it's naive to suggest that wouldn't bleed into refereeing.

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Isn't it amazing how many posters with similar views all seem to leave a space before and after a comma.

I don`t know if this is aimed at me or not i have been accused of having more than one user name on here because of the way i write . I have had to take some crap on here today for having an opinion , i have had a few snide and patronising comments chucked my way . So if this is not another behind the back dig at me then i apologise , but if it is then have the balls to tell me who else i am supposed to be on here as i would love to know .

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
No. She has chosen to be an AR. When you get to Level 3, you choose to be a referee or an assistant. That won't change for her now.

I recall 'Dre Marriner discussing this on The Peter Crouch Podcast* some time ago, and saying exactly this - people don't switch between the two roles, and they require quite different skills and mindset.

*I think

No wish to doubt either of you but I always thought one of the linos [aka assistant referees] would take over from the ref if became incapacitated and unable to continue, e.g. through injury?

What happens now if the AR skills and mindset are deemed too different to take over from the ref?
Match abandoned?
Suppose it could be the 4th official if full-ref trained / qualified, but then what if it's a lino that can't continue due to injury?

Is there a 5th official in the stands somewhere or to they taxi the VAR ref in?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
It`s not about a female ref:ffsparr: It`s about the likely changes to the game that will undoubtedly follow .

Why? Didn’t change with female Lino’s so why for female refs?
Swearing isn’t any worse in the lower leagues so can’t see this at all. Now if refs are mic’d up then definitely but until then no.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here