Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] First female referee appointed in the EFL

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Congratulations to Rebecca Welch, who will become the first female ref to take change of a game in the EFL, Harrogate Town Vs Port Vale on Monday 5th of April

[tweet] 1376864417795674113 [/tweet]

There have already been a few female assistant referees for years now, however this is the next step in removing the ceiling for female officials imo. Amy Fearn refereed part of a football league game a few years ago when the original ref got injured, but this is the first intentional appointment for a female referee

As much as there will be people out there who say "so what, her gender doesn't matter", fact is that this is a landmark moment in English football. Good luck to her!

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Didn’t actually realise there hadn’t been a female ref in the football league before. Some good news.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Have absolutely no problem with female officials. They can **** it up, or get it spot on, just as equally as a man can. Good luck to her.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If she's good enough, she's good enough. And all the best to her.

Until she has a bad game. Of course. Then doubtless she will get far less slack.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good for her......it’s all about competence, not gender. Interested in the reaction to her first big mistake - no doubt the usual suspects will forget that male refs make horrendous howlers too.......

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
The best ref I've seen at Isthmian/ Southern league level wasa female. Can't recall her name at the moment

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
No just a chorus of 'get your ........ for the lads'

and/or lasses... Let's have some equality here. :rolleyes:

I'm with everyone else here. If she's good, she's good, and deserves to be there - and to be fair she can't be much worse than some of the clowns we already have.

Gun shot

Ready to be fired
Oct 3, 2020
In a holster
She's probably had to work five times as hard as a man in order to fulfil her dream.

I fear that it'll only be a matter of time though before the sexism 'jokes' come out after she makes a mistake - she is still only human after all - and some vile stick on Facebook/Twitter about what women go through or to the Neanderthals, how they are perceived.

Optimistically I'm hoping that the players swear and spit less, give up cheating (sic) and show a lot more respect.

Good luck, Rebecca. Congratulations on all your hard work paying off and I hope you are around for years to come. :thumbsup:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
No. She has chosen to be an AR. When you get to Level 3, you choose to be a referee or an assistant. That won't change for her now.

I recall 'Dre Marriner discussing this on The Peter Crouch Podcast* some time ago, and saying exactly this - people don't switch between the two roles, and they require quite different skills and mindset.

*I think

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
She's probably had to work five times as hard as a man in order to fulfil her dream.

I fear that it'll only be a matter of time though before the sexism 'jokes' come out after she makes a mistake - she is still only human after all - and some vile stick on Facebook/Twitter about what women go through or to the Neanderthals, how they are perceived.

Optimistically I'm hoping that the players swear and spit less, give up cheating (sic) and show a lot more respect.

Good luck, Rebecca. Congratulations on all your hard work paying off and I hope you are around for years to come. :thumbsup:

Sian Massey-Ellis can't be far off that next step up either. Been a regular fixture at the Amex for a good few years now :clap2:

As just posted above Massey-Ellis has chosen the AR path for now. However, it's useful to mention her as I was about to.

The first time she ran the line at the Amex there were a few jibes (about knowing the rules, home in time for tea etc) and of course her first mistake got pounced on (I think there was one throw in she just couldn't make her mind up on). However, since then she's been one of the best ARs at the ground and rarely makes an error. The jokes soon stopped.

I also noticed she normally works with Chris Kavanagh as a ref in a "ref team". Might be helpful for Rebecca Wech if she gets the same assistant and fourth official regularly? I assume other refs work in an "officiating crew".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here