[Football] First female referee appointed in the EFL

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As just posted above Massey-Ellis has chosen the AR path for now. However, it's useful to mention her as I was about to.

The first time she ran the line at the Amex there were a few jibes (about knowing the rules, home in time for tea etc) and of course her first mistake got pounced on (I think there was one throw in she just couldn't make her mind up on). However, since then she's been one of the best ARs at the ground and rarely makes an error. The jokes soon stopped.

I also noticed she normally works with Chris Kavanagh as a ref in a "ref team". Might be helpful for Rebecca Wech if she gets the same assistant and fourth official regularly? I assume other refs work in an "officiating crew".

Yes, I remember the dithering there that resulted in a 'home' decision. To be expected.

The talk was of her failings, although I seem to remember the other linesman that day had a few faults. Very few comments were made on that.

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?367110-Sian-Massey-Ellis

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
No offense to either sex but she really can't be worse than some of the jokers already ref-ing in the Premier League already. A good time to bring the first female ref in therefore imo. Will be interesting to see a/ if the players swear as much around the decisions. The old **** offfffff! b/ how she responds to it (I'd prefer with warnings and yellow cards and then maybe the male refs can follow, but I doubt it).

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Sian ran the line at the Millwall v BHA cup game couple of years ago. Expected her to get a lot of stick from The Den but nothing. She has become an accepted member of the footballing family. I hope Rebecca can take the flack when she makes a mistake, as all refs do, and it's not treated as sexist when fans complain.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Congratulations Rebecca.
It will be interesting to see the effect it has on the players manners.
I'm hoping if a woman is reffing the game then it will stop a lot of the nonsense we see from the players like arguing and shouting and the jostling of the ref we often see.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
A couple of days ago in a Holland match there was a lady ref - apparently the first time ever for an international. Stephanie something - French - and she seemed very good!!! Better than Lee Mason.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
A couple of days ago in a Holland match there was a lady ref - apparently the first time ever for an international. Stephanie something - French - and she seemed very good!!! Better than Lee Mason.
F me I would be better than Lee Mason and Dunks goal would of been a goal also I would of spotted encroachment for both our pens :)

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
No. She has chosen to be an AR. When you get to Level 3, you choose to be a referee or an assistant. That won't change for her now.

Not strictly true as there are several former Prem assistant refs who chose to drop down to the national league, become main referees and work their way back up, Darren England for example, or John Brooks.

Though I agree she'll probably stick to being an AR now, she's only 35 so has a real chance of handling some massive games at Champions League and international level if she sticks with her current role.

D

Deleted member 2719

Will she be allowed to sleep with any of the players?

With the aroma of testosterone wafting under her nose every match, she must be tempted.

Surely it won't be long before we find out who are the real players.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The feminization of my work place over the last 30 years has improved it 1000 fold.

Maybe this is the start of the end for the self-regarding tosspot wankers who **** up our game by wilfully misinterpreting the laws for the furtherment of their own furtherment. The *****.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports