Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] First crisp

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
1695821744791.png

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
First crisps was at a time when only plain crisps were available with a square of grease proof blue paper formed into a bag holding salt to season, if required, as already mentioned by other posters, favourite ‘crisp’ were/are, (if you can manage to locate) spicy tomato wheat crunchy’s, my first encounter with them was in the Baltree pub (or was it the Ball tree ?) Sompting accompanying a wonderful pint of Gales HSB (a beer unequalled in my experience) an evening spent with my neighbours drinking this nectar of the Gods rounded off with a little bottle of Gales barley wine ! Wonderful memories.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
What else could it possibly be . . . . Still hae the very very faded sticker on my dads snap-on tool box . . . Another prized posession!View attachment 167125
Loved these and yea, probably the winner of this thread. Also come with white football stickers too. 2 bags, and 2 aniseed balls for just 10p.

VALUE! I think these delicious corn snacks made me aware of the very concept of VALUE!

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Given the ages of most of us, it would be remiss for this discussion not to mention how salt & vinegar used to be blue, with cheese & onion being green.

Then Walkers appeared and ruined everything.
Is the correct answer.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I don't know what my first crisp was, but my mum always had Smiths salt n shake, so they probably featured.

Smiths did actually try the same concept with flavoured crisps for a while - flavour 'n' shake - you got a small sachet of, say, cheese & onion flavouring, to open and sprinkle before giving the packet a shake. I don't think the experiment lasted very long - it was difficult to get an even coating of flavour.

Notable mention to Space Invaders, Burton's Fish n Chips - which had a great vinegary bite and, I recall from my primary school days, Hedgehog Flavour crisps.

View attachment 167126
Brighton related crisp fact . . . .

When I got made redundant from Sturtevant engineering ( Moulsecoomb way ) I declined the offer to go to Doncaster with the buyout Co (this was 1994/5, evven then I knew it was a one was ticket) despite a load of 'improved offers' . . . . A year later I was working in the fisher price car park building in Hollingbury, for a packaging company, I was designing/drawing/detailing machines for all sorts of packets . . . Sweets, cereals, all sorts . . . AND . . They also made and ran the machines that did all the little blue sachets of salt. Fascinating to watch. . . . . . . The best machine though . . . . Was the one that put the sachet in the crisp packet, whilst loading it with raw crisps, and then sealing the lot. Fascinating.

I'm of for a lay down now 😂

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here