Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] First crisp

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Based on some posts on the first crush thread, I got wondering about people's first crisps.

Who was yours?

I used to love these 1970s classics.

3f79ac4988c10b26f1b2e00c31d39cc8.jpg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think in my younger days the only option was Smiths Crisps (potato flavour) with a little blue paper sack containing salt for tipping into the crisp bag which was then shaken.
See my above post.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Remember when these appeared in the early 1980s; absolutely loved them. A bag of them usually accompanied a pint in the old Windsor Tavern while playing on the newly-installed Asteroids machine. Ah, the simple pleasures of youth.
ROC.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Based on some posts on the first crush thread, I got wondering about people's first crisps.

Who was yours?

I used to love these 1970s classics.

3f79ac4988c10b26f1b2e00c31d39cc8.jpg
I used to love these as well. An event I have always remembered is being in Newcastle at a 10 year old and asking for a bag of these in a shop. I asked how much they were but couldn’t understand the thick Geordie accent, the guy had to tell me numerous times they were “9p” before I understood.

I have slightly improved my understanding of regional accents over the years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I used to love Rancheros and was a fan of Potato Puffs and salt and vinegar Discos as well.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Used to have Tayta’s when I was in N.Ireland

Still pick them up when I visit family.

Really very nice crisps.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I tried Discos again the other month. Totally changed. They’re very unpleasant now.
That’s a shame. They were nice back in the day, really really crispy and really salty and vinegary.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Probably Golden Wonder. Also remember my old man sharing his dry roast peanuts with me when he’d get them from the offy or in a beer garden. Would probably cause some tutting and at least one social media post these days.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Given the ages of most of us, it would be remiss for this discussion not to mention how salt & vinegar used to be blue, with cheese & onion being green.

Then Walkers appeared and ruined everything.
Indeed. I’ve still not got over it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here