Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] First Brighton game and who took you....indulge me

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
My Dad too. January 1973. Like [MENTION=362]Spiros[/MENTION] - Brighton v Chelsea FA Cup Third Round 0-2 (Osgood 2).

thoughts with you [MENTION=11350]LamieRobertson[/MENTION]

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

Sorry to hear of your loss Lamie.

My dad took me to the Goldstone in March 1989, where we beat Blackburn Rovers 3-0. I think we were in the West Stand, but maybe South.

My old man grew up in Dagenham, casually supporting Arsenal without being overly into football. He moved down to Sussex when he was about 16 to work on his uncle's farm (so 1970ish) and was too busy working to really bother with football.
My first match (aged 10) was his first trip to a live match for c. 20 years and it became the thing we did together (and still do when we can). We were in the North every time after that first visit. Great bonding time!

A prostate scare for my old man 2 years ago really hit home how we can take family for granted, so I've seen loads more of him since (apart from lockdowns when we still chatted or texted at least every other day). All of you older chaps on here need to remember to get your prostate checked!

You're lucky to have had Albion as a common thread in your and your dad's life Lamie - may he rest in peace.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Halifax Town, 23 Apr 1971. My Dad took me.
As we rose over the top of the terrace towards the chicken run, I had never such vibrant green as the first time I saw the pitch that day.
We lost 1.0 but I was hooked.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I don't remember who it was against! My grandad took me, I was 7, it was the 76/77 season and we won 3-0. It was a sunny day and we walked to the ground from their house in Bolsover Rd. My grandad took a small wooden box with him, which I thought was odd but when we got in, South Stand I think, he took me to the front put the box down and I stood on it. He then went to the back and I saw him again at half time! Absolutely loved it.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
sorry about your dad.

my first brighton game was when we played you lot right at the beginning of the 83/84 season, we beat you 3-2 at elland road, terry connor scored one of your goals, we were in division 2. i went with my dad and uncle.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Dad (a lifelong Albion fan) wanted to take me to one of the last games at the Goldstone before it was gone forever. I would have been 9 years old. We saw the Albion beat Wigan 1-0 in 1997 and have been going to games ever since. Gillingham, Withdean, Amex.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
My Dad took me sometime in 1990 I think. I was five and didn't really care for football at the time so the experience was sadly lost on me.

The next time he took me though I was 8 or so and football mad. I remember he started a slow clap after one of their players had gone down. It was just him on his own for what felt like an eternity but then the entire ground got involved and I went home thinking my Dad was basically Superman.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
10th September 1977 2-1 home win against Hull think Martin Chivers was playing. Friend of my stepdad 'Uncle Jim' took me. He hardly went with me again. I was only 11 but just kept on going...

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
20th October 1962
1-1 draw against Shrewsbury. It was a poor season and we were relegated to the 4th Division, but I was hooked.
Went with some mates, as my Dad had no interest in football.
We stood on the North East terrace close to the floodlight pylon, and that was our spot until we "graduated" to the North Stand for the !965-66 season.

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007
Sorry for your loss Lamie.

I was the only one of 7 in my family to like football which includes my Dad but he took me in Feb 1970 where we beat Shrewsbury 1-0 and scored after about 3 minutes. We were in the Chicken Run and we tagged along with some of my Dads mates who obviously liked football as I think it was a totally new experience for him too!

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
Condolences Lamie.

My brother took me to a game v Wrexham, late 1976. We lost 0-2 and believe that was our only defeat at home that season. I should have known then...

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
Sorry for your loss Lamie.

My first game was 13th March 1971. Brighton 3 Gillingham 1. I had been looking forward to it for days. My Dad took me, but the day before I broke our garage window playing football and he said he was not going to take me after all as he was so annoyed! But of course he did, and we went on to watch hundreds of games together after that. The last time I spoke to him was on the phone on the way home after we lost 1-0 away to Orient in the EFL trophy on 6th October 2009. He died the next day.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
My Dad took me to the Goldstone. It's the proper way for all kids to be introduced to the game. It was 1958. Never looked back. Thanks Dad!

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
A while back when thinking about the first game my dad took me to (vs Wigan in 1997) i found this video of the game, its fan recorded, and funnily enough we must have been sitting very close to their position. This video provided such great nostalgia for me, nearly brought a tear to my eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSP1-PHhn50

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here