[Albion] First Brighton game and who took you....indulge me

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Sorry for your loss. My first game was the 0-0 draw with Liverpool in 1962 in the old 2nd Division, my uncle took me (my dad hated football) and remember thinking Roy Jennings moved very elegantly and the cup of hot chocolate from my uncles thermo flask

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My dad took me in January 1970. It was Alan Duffy’s debut and we beat Bradford City 2-1 (Duffy scored). We stood under the floodlight in the North West Corner and I stood on my dad’s tool box that I still have in the garage.

Sadly, my dad died while we were in exile in Gillingham and didn’t see us return to the city. He stopped going to games after having a heart attack at the age I am now. We went to hundreds of games together.

Also sadly, my son prefers rugby, so won’t be posting a similar message in 50 years time. We do connect on outdoor pursuits and motor racing, though.

Durlston

NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
I went to the West Ham match during the great season of 1990/91 season with my dad when we were so near to the first division. The atmosphere was electric on a warm April evening. We sat in the south stand and I was surprised at how big everything seemed - although the ground capacity was around 80% terracing. Really enjoyable first game with John Byrne's shot slipping past Ludek Miklosko just before half time and then it was West Ham dominating for the rest of the match. I wonder how we would have got on if we'd won the play-offs. At least Luton would still have had the worst ground!

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
So sorry to hear about your Dad. I still go with my Dad and he manages to get up to WSU at the age of 86.

He took me to the first game I can remember at the Goldstone vs Reading 1970 - huge crowd - we won 2-1 - hooked every since . I have no idea why he choose such a big match to take me to as seeing the game was nearly impossible for me. Maybe he took me to an earlier game in that season but if he did he can't remember and neither can I.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I got very lucky.

View attachment 137399

= hooked for life.

One of my older brothers took me, I think we stood in the NS. Along with the boiled burger hamburgers (I liked them), singing, crowd surges down the terrace, giant lit floodlights ..... all right down my alley ..... very exciting for a young kid. I still have the one ounce programme.

Even luckier with my second game:

Feb 76 - 33,000 plus the unlogged thousands literally packed into a floodlit Goldstone to see Brighton 2-0 CP. Special.

That would have been one of the1st games I attended with mates, I remember it well, we were a great side to watch and we also beat Chester 5-0 not long after but if anyone had asked me if I had ever watched Harry Wilson or Sammy Morgan, I would have said no.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
My first game was a reserve game against Charlton in October 1976. I went with my Dad. Brighton won 3-0 and Fred Binney scored. The reason we went was that was the first opportunity to get tickets for the league cup tickets against reigning league champions Derby County. Hence that night Brighton and Charlton reserves played in front of 17,000 spectators.

My next game was the Derby match. Peter Ward scored in the first minute, the game finished one all and the crowd was over 30,000. Not bad for a third division side.

My commiserations to you mate

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I went with a friend and his dad who lived in the same road. Carried on like this for a few years until they emigrated to Australia after the 1970 World Cup, then went with mates from school.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I know this has been done before ...but indulge me..it’s a minor tribute to my dad who slipped away peacefully this afternoon.

Brighton v Torquay August 28th 1968 my Dad

My dad also took me to my first game. 1984. v Shrewsbury.
He is a rugby fan, had no interest in football but could see that I was hooked on the Albion.
It was the same arrangement for years - he tolerated games, giving up his Saturday, for my benefit. .
We have had our differences but that was pretty cool on his part.
RIP to your dad. Sounds like you also have some shared Albion memories to treasure.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Sorry to hear about your Dad.

Your first game was only a few days after I was born. The first game I was taken to was May 3rd 1976 against Sheffield Wednesday when we won 3-2 to get promotion. I don't remember too much and it wasn't until September 1977 when I next went and then was hooked and hardly missed a home game for the next seven years until I started playing Saturday football myself.

My dad is 80 next year and lives up north now but still wears an Albion hoodie or polo shirt with pride.

I was at that game, Sheffield scored straight after the kickoff if I remember right

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That would have been one of the1st games I attended with mates, I remember it well, we were a great side to watch and we also beat Chester 5-0 not long after but if anyone had asked me if I had ever watched Harry Wilson or Sammy Morgan, I would have said no.

It’s funny when you’re a kid, you love all the Albion players. Pure innocence, no cynicism or the player pet hates adults acquire.

I liked Towner and Piper, I was so proud of their Brighton backgrounds.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Condolences on losing your Dad.
My dad was an exiled Mackem who was evacuated down here during the war and was praying I would be a Sunderland fan as he even got me a red and white striped football shirt back in the early 60's.
They are still my second team and they even sent a shirt and a scarf down to put on my dad's coffin for which I will be ever grateful.
He took me to Pompey, Southampton and Brighton games but that first time I went to the Goldstone with my mate in the North Stand at 10 years old I was hooked

Brighton v Walsall 1968
We won 1-0

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Sorry to hear your sad news, Lamie.

I attended my first Albion game (31 Jan 1976 v Mansfield) with my friend Andrew and his dad, who drove us there. Both now sadly gone - Andrew when he was just 31.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Thoughts with you Lamie - you’re a top man.

Mine was my Dad 1991 Ipswich for THAT play off deciding game (thanks Deano). I was 4 & still go with my dad 30 years later. Our special thing together always, so know how hard it must be for you. RIP fella.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
You're right about the Carlisle match. Early February 1985. The following Saturday was a 1-0 home victory over Cardiff City. We did thrash Wolves though, 5-1 in the May.

My Dad took me to my first match. 2-1 friendly defeat to Norwich City in May 1977.

Dreadful, Altzheimers must me setting in! could have sworn it was Wollves l saw straight after the Carlsle game, but obviously not. I definately did witness our hujmilation of Wolves though, as l can remember the late great Tommy Docherty, waving to the fans after the game. A tad odd following a sound thrashing.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Dreadful, Altzheimers must me setting in! could have sworn it was Wollves l saw straight after the Carlsle game, but obviously not. I definately did witness our hujmilation of Wolves though, as l can remember the late great Tommy Docherty, waving to the fans after the game. A tad odd following a sound thrashing.

Waving them goodbye. He was sacked as they went down. Then down again....

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Thanks for all your kind comments ....it’s really appreciated and my Dad would have thought the same.

I remember your kind and thoughtful words after my dad died late last year; they meant a lot then and they mean a lot now. All these posts and memories captured here are a nice tribute to LamieRobertson Snr.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports