[Albion] First Brighton game and who took you....indulge me

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
All the best [MENTION=11350]LamieRobertson[/MENTION] I hope that the nostalgia helps you recall all the good times you shared.

I didn't move down here until I was in my mid-twenties and so noone took me but instead I took my (now ex-) partner to see Brighton play Sheff Utd at Withdrawn for her one and only game. A tragic game showcasing referee bias at its worst and I recall lines of Police lining the running track with batons out to hold angry fans back not from the opposing fans or opposing players but from the officials.

Again, hope the stories posted soften the blow even just a little.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Sorry to hear your loss Lamie, best wishes to you.

My first game was with a few mates from Carden Junior school, a 1-1 draw against Bury around 1976.

I didn't go with my dad because he was working at the game, he was one of the mounted coppers, that about 6 years later i would spend most Saturdays trying to avoid like the plague :lolol:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Sorry for your loss.

My first game was at home vs Burnley 77/78 - My Dad/Grandad were with me in the west. stand.
My dear old Uncle Dave had sorted out tickets and driven us over.
He was in the South Stand as always.

Dad vaguely supported Newcastle (no idea why) when pushed.
Grandad was a Chelsea fan, who hailed from Shepperton originally.

Dave was the Albion fanatic.
Home and away for all games outside of the cricket season.

He was something of a local cricketing legend for Chippingdale CC.
He died at the crease of a heart attack. He was only 62.

Greatest Uncle ever.
Sadly missed.

Ghost of Killer Reeves

Oct 3, 2020
Somerset
After being mesmerised by the Mexico World Cup in 1970 my dad took me to see Brighton play Torquay, first match of the season, at The Goldstone. A 0-0 draw watched from the Chicken Run. Best thing for me was watching the North Stand.
“Can we go in there next time Dad?”
“No” he replied.
Once a year he took me to Highbury ‘to watch proper football’. One year Brighton were away to Portsmouth the same day we went up to London. I can still see the look of apprehension on some of the travelling support at the station. I don’t think it ended well.
I found out for myself a few years later!
Lamie, so sorry and take care.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Sorry for your news.

Not sure of who or when.

My outstanding memories of the time though are;

West Stand, near the tunnel (south side) at the front on a home made wooden stool thing made by my dad (Barbs would NOT have that). White piping on the blue shorts. Barry Bridges, Eddie Spearritt, John Templeman et al running about. Sweet pipe smoke. Man in a white coat flogging progs and crisps and monkey nuts.

I'm guessing early 70s!

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Sorry for you loss, Lamie.

Mine was Albion 0 Arsenal 4, 18 August 1979. I was a 12 year old boy with no club affiliation till that day but my pal James persuaded me to go, his dad Jim driving - both huge Brighton fans. Yep we got stuffed but standing on the East terrace, backs to the stanchions for fear of crowd surges, Jim smoking Rothmans and calling the ref every name under the sun became an intoxicating mix that has been a 42 year (and counting) love affair.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Sorry for your loss. RIP

It’s strange because I don’t know the match, who took me and have no specific memories of it. Possibly I was too young to remember.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Pompey at home, Boxing Day 1989. 0-0. My Dad @%1; took me and still swears to this day it was the worst game of football he’s ever seen. I thought it was wonderful.

My dad took me to Man Utd 1979 we stood in the nw corner, he said exactly the same and never went to a game again. To be fair the game was abysmal, one shot and that was from Utd and a booking, mickey Thomas, I loved the atmosphere so I was hooked.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Sorry to hear about your loss. First game August 78, lost 2 nil at home to Cambridge, Dad and me ,South stand West corner near where the blue robin Reliant car was parked, also a fight between fan and policeman.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Brighton v Gillingham, league cup first round. Won 1-0 on the night, lost 2-1 overall. 87/88 season. My dad.

Sorry for your loss [MENTION=11350]LamieRobertson[/MENTION]

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
My Dad took me to my first Albion game during season 63/64, it was at The Goldstone against Barrow on 27th March 1964 and we won 2-0. In the summer of 1964 we signed The great Bobby Smith and the first game he played for us was against Barrow on Aug 22nd, which we won 3-1.
Hence my NSC name Barrow Boy.

:ascarf:

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
Sorry to hear that.
My dad took me, Hull city at Priestfield April 98. Aged 11. I grew up in Hastings and we watched a lot of non league football (Stamco). When I was a bit older and a regular home and away it used to bug the hell out of me that I never went to the Goldstone. Occasionally it still does. I brought it up recently with my dad, his reason being after moving away from Brighton he just lost interest. Fair enough, I still feel robbed though!

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
My deepest condolences Lamie.

I was 10 years old and it was at home to Exeter in January 2000 with my dad and grandad. I don't remember much other than it was ruddy cold.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports