Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] First Brighton game and who took you....indulge me

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Sorry for your loss. My dad took me, it was against Birmingham City 1982 at the Goldstone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Shit news Lamie.

Port Vale H 1992. Think we lost 1-3. My brother and his friend took me in the South stand, went in on someone else's junior seagulls card. I remember arguing about the game the next day in my year 4 class.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
Commiserations Lamie.

My dad (Albion fan) and uncle (Bristol Rovers fan) took me to watch their teams play each other in 1958. We stood on the east terrace and I was helped to sit on a barrier till my bum hurt too much. It was a 1-1 draw and both teams missed a penalty.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Thinking of you, Lamie.

My dad, Saturday 19th February 1977. Brighton 3-0 Grimsby Town

My first time in a real football stadium. Although it was a 3pm Saturday game it was a gloomy February afternoon and I'll never forget that first glimpse of the pitch and how green the turf looked under the lights and how crisp the white lines were. I just stood there, drinking it all in, holding my dad's hand. He passed away a month before this Christmas just gone.

The start of my love affair with Brighton and Hove Albion. Take it easy, Lamie.

Last edited:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Commiserations Lamie.

You attended your first game three days before I was born!

I was taken the first time on Nov 7 1981, a 1-1 draw against Birmingham City, by my dad, and with a family friend, his father and a German school exchange student (who I believe was called Frank, if I remember correctly). Frank was a Hamburg fan and wished to experience an English football match; I was a mad keen Albion fan by that point but my dad had no interest whatsoever. My mum coerced him into taking us, but he knew so little about it that the family friends were also roped in (who had at least been before).

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Commiserations. LR Snr had a good innings I guess/hope. . . . . My first game was late 70's, I don't recall exactly, but it was the golden era, as was, I was 8 I guess, and at least once a full kit wanker for a midweek evening game, and bloody frozen come full time! . . . Picked up in a beetle by my Dads mates from Worthing/Lancing on Shoreham High St, then dropped off and my mum marched me home to bed on the houseboat, and sleep as it was a school night. It was a big deal at the time! my mum and step dad were not into football in the slightests. My dad was more of an egg chaser in his yoputh, but took me himself a few times after that ( Man City 4-1 anyone? ;-) ) as he worked for Seeboard in Worthing and they had season tickets in the south stand . . . But Norman and Mose were confirmed East Stand regulars and happy to relieve my mother of the duty until I was old enough to go on my own/with mates, which amazingly was about aged 11-12.

I remember walking to school with you when we passed my older sister and she handed me my Fa cup final programme replay which i left behind in the car.

You never believed me that i went lol.

First game our promotion season against Tottenham 78/9

Also remember seeing a man with a knife ( it looked like one) and we were in the East terrace. Loved my box for the first game.

Feb 9, 2012
perth
I know this has been done before ...but indulge me..it’s a minor tribute to my dad who slipped away peacefully this afternoon.

Brighton v Torquay August 28th 1968 my Dad

Genuinely sorry for your loss.

And my memory too - My dad took me to see Oxford at Goldstone in the 77 promotion season. I was 10 and we had just moved from Oxford who he supported. We agreed I would go with the winner. Albion won 3-2 after being 3 up so a close call! We went to many more games together over the years and since he passed away 5 years ago, those times remain very special memories.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Vert sorry to hear that.

That just might have been my first, too. It was either vs. Torquay or Northampton and around that time with a neighbour, who kindly offered to take me.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Condolences Lamie, sadly my dad had no interest in football.

I think it was 1975. I met up with an old schoolfriend when I moved to Brighton having lived abroad for a few years. He suggested that we go to the Brighton match that night. In truth I only went to see what the fuss was about Palace. Managed by Malcolm Allison and with Peter Taylor getting rave reviews as a third division winger ( I think he actually ended up getting an England call up that season).

Massive crowd of 33000, brilliant atmosphere. Harry Wilson had Peter Taylor in his pocket and Sammy Morgan scored twice in a 2-0 win.

Loved the atmosphere of a night game and started going regularly. Peter Ward signed and I was hooked

Here I am still serving my sentence :lolol:

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Sorry to hear about your Dad Lamie . I lost my father last year so know what you are going through

My first game was v Ipswich 1979 , a 2-0 win , and my dad and brother went

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Dad took me sometime around 65 but all I remember was my feet were frozen sitting in the stands. That was my second ever game the first game was at Wimbledon prior to 61 and I remember nothing of that either!! My real start was with mates in the North Stand circa 68, Blue Shirts, white sleeves.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
1976/77 season. Swindon home game. Richard Christian, school chaplain, on the back of his RS100.

Sorry to hear of your loss, OP.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Really sorry to hear that news. My first game was Brighton v Derby around 1978. I was 7 and went with a friend and his dad. All I remember is the crowd, the floodlights and how bright orange the Derby away shirts were! My dad left home when I was about 3 so never went to a game with him. I take each of my 4 kids to at least one game a season (I live away from Brighton now) in the hope that it's creating an affinity for the Albion and some happy memories for them. Hopefully as the shock passes, you'll be able to hold on to the great memories of your dad.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I know this has been done before ...but indulge me..it’s a minor tribute to my dad who slipped away peacefully this afternoon.

Brighton v Torquay August 28th 1968 my Dad

So sorry for your loss mate. It's an awful time, so be kind to yourself.

Brighton v Barnsley, with my Dad at the Goldstone. I was 7.
Still remember how beautifully green the grass looked as I first saw it from the top of the North stand steps

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
My first game was home to Barrow in August 1964 and was Bobby Smith’s debut. Fantastic atmosphere.
I was 16 and went on my own. My attendance at matches back then had to be confined to school holidays as I was incarcerated at boarding school. That all changed when I was freed. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here