Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Finding somewhere to live in London

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Elephant handy for pretty much everywhere and very central but an utter sh*t hole.

and surprisingly expensive, what private rents are available.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Moving from my current residence (SW13) to Shepherd's Bush, I think. Toying with the idea of Clapham, but getting lamped (last night) for no reason has put me off the idea. :blush: But then, I should not let the actions of one twat put me off. Plus, as CG says, there are options aplenty for transport.

No good for Bigc, but another area great transport wise BOF especially since they have opened the Wood Lane Station and the Shepherd Bush Mainline.

You've got the Westfield and what would sell it to me is that it is that is in walking distance of Portabello Road and Notting Hill.

Plus very easy to get to Brighton from there now, without having to go anywhere near central London.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
East Dulwich or Nunhead (the latter for cheaper) are a decent place to live, the area has transformed in the last 5 years since we moved here.

Seagull Stew

I used to live in Canada Water (Not that that's technically a place), but near Greenland dock. Fantastic area.

Anywhere around the Rotherhithe area is good I'd say (avoid Surrey Quays though). A pretty peaceful area considering it's in zone 2 and all within a 15-20 minute walk from Canada Water station.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I'm moving to Enfield on Sat. Will take 30 mins to get into work. Much better than the current 2 hours it takes me from Brighton (after bus from Saltdean, train to LB, tube etc ;))

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I lived in south London for 21 years and always rated more than north London. Clapham and Dulwich are both pretty expensive (unless you're in the part of Dulwich that's Peckham really). Balham is now rather pricey too.

If cheapness is the main consideration, SE London is best. Someone's already mentioned Hither Green but there are plenty of places round there - the area around New Cross always struck me as amazingly cheap and Rotherhithe, where my in-laws live is not too expensive either.

If you have a bit more money, I'd go for Tooting. I lived there for four years and it's a great place: fantastic Indian/Pakistani/Sri Lankan restaurants, the wonderful Lido for the summer, a few decent pubs/bars and you can always get a seat on the Tube in rush hour (from Broadway anyway). Tooting's the best place I've lived, I only moved out because a family home was too expensive: I moved nearly five years ago but I still miss the place.

Wherever it is you choose, avoid going through zone 1 for your journey. That will double your transport costs at a single stroke.

I like SE London. Where I live in Eltham I have fields over the back where I can take the hound for a roam (it is part of Eltham Palace conservation area), and it's transport links are good for the City. Easy to get out of town as well as I live between the A2 and A20. If I am heading north, then it's straight through the pipe, again avoiding the centre.

Hither Green was a good shout, as I believe it is only a short hop on the train to Elmstead Woods. Rent will not be too pricey and again, has good links for getting into the centre of London (London Bridge for the City, Charing Cross for the West End.)

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Live in Blackheath, if you can afford it.

Youve got the Heath, lovely old pubs, good restaurants in the village, and Greenwich at the bottom of the hill.

Its only 10 mins into London Bridge on the train, and an easy A2/M25/M23 drive back to Gods own county.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
F**king nightmare getting a cab home late at night... full of rugger buggers... expensive...

Lush

Mods' Pet
Maybe a little far South. There some really nice parts of East Croydon though, where the rent must be amongst the cheapest in Greater London.
Its 20 mins to Victoria form East Croydon and 15 to London Bridge and EC is open 24 hours a day with trains through the night to Victoria & Gatwick plus at least 3 night buses that come down from central London.

It's pretty easy to get a two bedroom Flat for about £700 a month within 5 minutes of East Croydon and you get very few scum bags.

What he said. I lived in East Croydon for 12 years. It's relatively cheap so you get to live in a nice flat/house. There are all the shops/amenities you could want. Yes it's fairly soul-less but you can get into Central London (AND BRIGHTON!) more easily than if you live at the end of a tube/local rail line. I also like that it's a fairly mixed population age/race wise. Also - never underestimate the convenience of being able to get home cheaply and easily at ANY time of the night. No more 'I've got to get the last train'/forking out for expensive cabs, even if you can find one going South of the River.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I lived in the heart of Brixton for 2 years and absolutely loved it. Guaranteed seat on the tube and 10 minutes from Oxford Circus. Cheaper rents than Clapham and Balham too.

Provided you don't live too far off the main road, you will absolutely fine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here