Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Finding somewhere to live in London

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Balham is a good shout too. Try to see if there anything to rent in the Clapham North, Stockwell, Brixton triangle SW9. Cheaper than SW4, but ten min walk from high street.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Balham is a good shout too. Try to see if there anything to rent in the Clapham North, Stockwell, Brixton triangle SW9. Cheaper than SW4, but ten min walk from high street.

Worth a go I suppose. It's easy for me to get to where I'll be working, seeing as it will either be Westminster or right on my doorstep(Brixton). It's just working out connections for my friend to get to the bloody edge of nowhere(Elmstead Woods).

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
How about coming even further South, somewhere like Selsdon, Sanderstead or Kenley?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
How about coming even further South, somewhere like Selsdon, Sanderstead or Kenley?

Isn't it that pretty much out of London? Heading towards Redhill and the like.

If I got that close, I'd rather just commute.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Hither Green would be perfect for Ravensbourne, but otherwise its a case of getting to London Bridge, then 20 mins. I did a course of theirs years ago at work.

DJB1975

Jul 9, 2009
London
Kenley is only just over 10 miles from central London.

Green Spaces, chilled place.

London Borough of Croydon. Not really London is it

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Hither Green would be perfect for Ravensbourne, but otherwise its a case of getting to London Bridge, then 20 mins. I did a course of theirs years ago at work.

Yep I know Hither is on that line but I'd rather be round the area you mentioned, I could get Northern Line direct to Embankment and the short hop to Westminster.

Yep, I suppose Clapham to L.Bridge wouldn't be too bad, or anywhere on the Northern Line.

I wouldn't want to live round there mind you(Elmstead Woods), very remote!!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
LB 2O mins from here. For a stress free trip to westminster, I'd take the 88 and be there in less than 30 mins with a seat and a paper.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'd try Elephant & Castle. Truly madly deeply shabby, but just up the road from The City, cracking Tube links to everywhere, it's got the Ministry Of Sound on the doorstep, and hardly ever gets a mention in the Senseless Knife Death weekend reports. I've worked there a couple of times. It's OK. You could do a lot worse IMHO.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Maybe a little far South. There some really nice parts of East Croydon though, where the rent must be amongst the cheapest in Greater London.
Its 20 mins to Victoria form East Croydon and 15 to London Bridge and EC is open 24 hours a day with trains through the night to Victoria & Gatwick plus at least 3 night buses that come down from central London.

It's pretty easy to get a two bedroom Flat for about £700 a month within 5 minutes of East Croydon and you get very few scum bags.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Elephant handy for pretty much everywhere and very central but an utter sh*t hole.

For sure. Hence my 'shabby' etc. wording. When they finally get round to knocking it down and rebuilding it, E&C will certainly be a far more des res than clapham. IMHO, buying a flat somewhere in E&C that will escape the bulldozers is about the best investment to be made in London. You could WALK to The City in half an hour.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I lived at Gipsy Hill and there was a good train service into central London from there. Numerous buses run from Crystal Palace Parade which is the other end of Westow Street.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Plenty of Albion fans too. Well, me plus one more who by complete coincidence lives a few doors down - so I reckon there's more hiding out there somewhere :thumbsup:

:bigwave:

I lived at Gipsy Hill and there was a good train service into central London from there. Numerous buses run from Crystal Palace Parade which is the other end of Westow Street.

Tulse Hill goes to LB direct in 18 mins, and surrounding West Norwood, and Herne Hill are pretty good now. TH is also on FGC line for getting down to Brighton.

From my own experience, if you live anywhere farther up the Northern line than Clapham South, it's a bitch to get on the tube to LB.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Didn't see your post THPP, Elephant will full of city boys in a few years time no doubt.

I'd never move there though, not green enough for my liking.

Clapham is vastly overrated in my opinion, although I've lived here quite a few years now. As soon as they build the tube line into Clapham Junction, I'd like to move down there.

But the real reason I moved here is that the transport options are numerous.

Can be a bit annoying getting on the Tube at Clapham North, but my wife does it very morning. You just have to be patient.

However, one stop up is much easier at Stockwell (which is a ten minute walk from Clapham North) because quite simply half the people on the Northern Line trains get off to get onto the Victoria Line.

A see a lot of people in the morning avoiding all the Clapham stations and simply jumping on one the numerous buses that run up to Stockwell.

Stockwell is a ten minute walk away for me. Clapham North even nearer, Clapham Common just over 10, and Brixton a 15 minute stroll.

The West End in half an hour, Euston just over that up the Victoria Line, London Bridge slightly less.

A bus ride down to Clapham Junction opens even more possibilities. 50 minutes to Brighton, 12 minutes to Shepherds Bush.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Moving from my current residence (SW13) to Shepherd's Bush, I think. Toying with the idea of Clapham, but getting lamped (last night) for no reason has put me off the idea. :blush: But then, I should not let the actions of one twat put me off. Plus, as CG says, there are options aplenty for transport.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Miss DTG aka BAG is looking to buy a flat on the Thames in Cherstey.......looks a very nive area!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here