Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Films you love to watch at Christmas?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Die Hard
Die Hard 2
Die Hard 3 (not a Christmas film, but it feels wrong to not complete the trilogy of good Die Hard films)
Scrooged
Home Alone
Love Actually
It's a Wonderful Life
Muppet Christmas Carol
The Family Man
Gremlins
Bernard and the Genie

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I watched Planes Trains and Automobiles for about the 50th time tonight. Yes, I KNOW its not a Christmas film, set around Thanksgiving, but its so damn good that its become a Christmas staple in my household. Anyway, I noticed 2 things this time I'd never seen before that really tickled me.

1. When Del steals Neal's cab in NYC, it pulls away leaving Neal staring down at a puddle. There's a shower curtain ring floating in it.
2. The wall over the bed at the Braidwood Inn in Wichita has two quite prominant, obviously-placed handprints set either side of the generic portrait picture hanging over the bed. :lolol:

I can't believe I've missed these two little details in all the times I've watched this film. And while I'm on, this was a heavily edited film which carried a monologue from Del that was cut from the film. This is when Neal went back to the train station and found him sat in the waiting room.

"I didn't have much family. A brother in Montana, some cousins. Marie's folks died back-to-back the year after we married. They were pretty old. She was a late child. We didn't get the chance to have kids. She wanted three. Two boys and a girl. I number about 300 motels as my home. I sort of attach myself to people from time to time. Like with you. Especially around the holidays. I can take it in March, July, October. I don't mind it. But it gets hard about this time of year. I've never had much of a chance to be a family man but it gets really hard. And you know what it is? I don't get to give any of myself to anybody. It's not the getting I miss, it's the giving. I sat on that plane with you and I thought about you heading home to be with your people. And Tuesday night when you were in the shower and I looked at the pictures of your kids, man, I thought you gotta be the luckiest man on Earth to go home and put those little guys on your knee and hug 'em and kiss 'em. I'm thirty nine years old and I never had that and I never will. I'm just sorry about this. I just kinda lost control this time. Every year since Marie's been gone, I've gotten closer and closer to losing it. Usually I head for a church. I can feel like I'm part of something when I'm in a church. This time...I guess I didn't get to the church fast enough. I just couldn't let go."

If the end didn't have me blubbing enough, I think this would've finished me off were it not cut.

Its bordering on perfect for me.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Ice Station Zebra

A heartwarming tale of death and destruction that for some unknown reason became a must see over Christmas in our household,I suppose it did have a fair bit of fake snow.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Elf - number 1 choice for the family
Bad Santa - will watch alone until my kids are 21.
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Deck the Halls
(warning, whilst Bad Santa is awesome, Bad Santa 2 is the worst film ever made)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not a film, but six 30-minute episodes:

1670921881183.png

The box of delights :xmas:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
The Snowman
The Snowman and the SNowdog (could have screwed up this sequel after so many years but it is perfect)
The Father Christmas
Muppets Christmas Carol
Polar Express
Home Alone
Gremlins
Planes Trains and Automobiles
The Santa Clause

oh and a new one of recent years... Stickman

How could i forget The Nightmare Before Christmas (even have the Disney xmas jumper) although i do watch at Halloween too.

Last edited:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I watched Planes Trains and Automobiles for about the 50th time tonight. Yes, I KNOW its not a Christmas film, set around Thanksgiving, but its so damn good that its become a Christmas staple in my household. Anyway, I noticed 2 things this time I'd never seen before that really tickled me.

1. When Del steals Neal's cab in NYC, it pulls away leaving Neal staring down at a puddle. There's a shower curtain ring floating in it.
2. The wall over the bed at the Braidwood Inn in Wichita has two quite prominant, obviously-placed handprints set either side of the generic portrait picture hanging over the bed. :lolol:

I can't believe I've missed these two little details in all the times I've watched this film. And while I'm on, this was a heavily edited film which carried a monologue from Del that was cut from the film. This is when Neal went back to the train station and found him sat in the waiting room.

"I didn't have much family. A brother in Montana, some cousins. Marie's folks died back-to-back the year after we married. They were pretty old. She was a late child. We didn't get the chance to have kids. She wanted three. Two boys and a girl. I number about 300 motels as my home. I sort of attach myself to people from time to time. Like with you. Especially around the holidays. I can take it in March, July, October. I don't mind it. But it gets hard about this time of year. I've never had much of a chance to be a family man but it gets really hard. And you know what it is? I don't get to give any of myself to anybody. It's not the getting I miss, it's the giving. I sat on that plane with you and I thought about you heading home to be with your people. And Tuesday night when you were in the shower and I looked at the pictures of your kids, man, I thought you gotta be the luckiest man on Earth to go home and put those little guys on your knee and hug 'em and kiss 'em. I'm thirty nine years old and I never had that and I never will. I'm just sorry about this. I just kinda lost control this time. Every year since Marie's been gone, I've gotten closer and closer to losing it. Usually I head for a church. I can feel like I'm part of something when I'm in a church. This time...I guess I didn't get to the church fast enough. I just couldn't let go."

If the end didn't have me blubbing enough, I think this would've finished me off were it not cut.

Probably seen this over 100 times. My Fav comedy and as you say a Thanks Giving film, it does feel xmassy.

I love this film. I loved it from the age of about 9 when it first came out and i watched it.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA

Probably seen this over 100 times. My Fav comedy and as you say a Thanks Giving film, it does feel xmassy.

I love this film. I loved it from the age of about 9 when it first came out and i watched it.
Yes one of my favorite movies of all time, simply brilliant. Only part that gets me is how dramatic Neil's wife is. I just bought the 4k edition, it includes a ton of never before seen scenes, can't wait till it gets here!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've just watched Planes, Trains & Automobiles for the first time ever today. I enjoyed that, though it was quite clear from very early on that John Candy's wife was going to be dead.

Other top ones for me:

-The Muppet Christmas Carol
-A Nightmare Before Christmas
-Love Actually (even though it really annoys me in so many ways))
-Elf
-National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
-Miracle On 34th Street

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Rare Exports. If you've not seen it do so.

Some James Stewart, but not it's a wonderful life I'll go for a western.

Elf obviously.

Cobra - a total mess of a Sly vehicle that proved surprisingly influential.

Wake in Fright - the greatest of Oz Noir.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes one of my favorite movies of all time, simply brilliant. Only part that gets me is how dramatic Neil's wife is.
Oh tell me about it.

"Where are you ?"
"I'm in Wichita"
"Are you alright ? What happened ?"
"We couldn't land in Chicago"
"I don't understand what Wichita has to do with a snowstorm in Chicago. Whats going on Neal ?"
"Why don't you TAKE A LOOK OUT THE f***ing WINDOW AND CONNECT THE DOTS YOU THICK SLUT"

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here