Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2014

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I had a double bill today of The Wolf of Wall Street and American Hustle. I still don't know what I thought of them. Neither are going to be in my top films of the year list come december. I didn't dislike Wolf, just haven't really digested it yet. American Hustle might improve on reflection, but at the moment I feel quite disappointed with it.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think Wolf of Wall Street will be very annoying and most people would want to smash the screen it. It seems to glorify the events and hero worship the culprits. That is what I have heard anyway. Scorcesse has been booed at several premiers.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think Wolf of Wall Street will be very annoying and most people would want to smash the screen it. It seems to glorify the events and hero worship the culprits. That is what I have heard anyway. Scorcesse has been booed at several premiers.

See, I didn't really feel that. I went in expecting something quite salacious, but it never really felt like they were worshipping the heroes, or that their behaviour was so far over the top it deserved such hype. Maybe I've just seen too many films about rampant drug use...

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am seeing Wolf of Wall Street tomorrow so I will report back. Also it is 3 hours long which to me is pushing things a little unless it is something like Schindler's List. The upside is Di Caprio is a fantastic actor and one of my favourites.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Not 2014 but on Netflix the last week I saw a couple of great films. Swedish thriller/murder mystery The Hunters and it's sequel A False Trail. made in 2006 and 2011 respectively the first film tells the story of a Stockholm detective who returns to the small hunting community he grew up in to solve a spate of poaching incidents. The investigation soon spirals into a murder investigation involving figures from his past. So far, so formulaic but it is done extremely well indeed and the atmosphere of the film is pitch perfect. The acting and the cinematography are second to none and you get swept up in the engaging twists and turns. A great film.

The sequel is just as good. With the detective returning a few years later to investigate the disappearance of a local woman. Old rivalries flare up and he has to deal with the aftermath of the previous films revelations. Again, acting and cinematography are superb and another engaging story unfolds.

Two of the best films I have seen in a long while. The first film was a huge success in Sweden and kick started the Scandanavian detective genre as we know it today. There was talk of an US remake but the director vetoed it after a while believing his films were good as they are. I cannot recommend them highly enough folks. Top stuff.

murphy's law

Nov 24, 2008
12 Years a Slave - outstanding, deeply affecting work of genius, tough to watch at times but very profound.

Wolf of Wall Street - great performance by DiCaprio, bit of a Catch Me If You Can vibe but more Scorsese than Spielberg obviously. Great scene when they take to many Qualuudes.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Saw 12 years a slave yesterday. Incredibly powerful and very well acted. As someone said earlier in the thread at the end we all just sat in silence as the credits rolled.

I had a double bill today of The Wolf of Wall Street and American Hustle. I still don't know what I thought of them. Neither are going to be in my top films of the year list come december. I didn't dislike Wolf, just haven't really digested it yet. American Hustle might improve on reflection, but at the moment I feel quite disappointed with it.

Is there a thread somewhere where you and others have listed their films of last year? Would be interested - American Hustle was my No4 for 2013, brilliantly funny and politically its heart in the right place. Going to use the term "science oven" all the time now

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is there a thread somewhere where you and others have listed their films of last year? Would be interested - American Hustle was my No4 for 2013, brilliantly funny and politically its heart in the right place. Going to use the term "science oven" all the time now

I don't remember if there is, or if I'm remembering last years thread for 2012.

Particularly liked (in no order): The Hobbit pt2, Saving Mr Banks, Captain Phillips, Frozen, Flight, Les Mis, Pitch Perfect, and Cloud Atlas. I also thought Iron Man 3, Thor 2, and Star Trek 2 were strong sequels.

Didn't like: GI Joe: Retaliation, After Earth, Ender's Game, Texas Chainsaw 3D.

Interesting - mine is pretty much in this order: The Great Beauty, Metro Manila, Spring Breakers, Django Unchained, American Hustle, Iron Man 3, Cloud Atlas, The Great Gatsby, Spirit of 45, This is 40, To the Wonder.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Went to the hugely overlong and generally grotesque The Wolf of Wall Street this afternoon. Di Caprio gives a stirling performance and you can see the part-charm of the foul, money-craving, amoral egotist at the centre of it all, but overall this for me was a set of sometimes pointless and repetitive scenes that use vulgar humour in its lengthy satire of the greedy in a way i didn't greatly enjoy. Matthew McConaghy is an early highlight, but he disappears way too soon and on we go with this series of farcical setpieces that often are 4 times the length they should be. A disappointment largely from what could have been in this generally misogynous and misanthropic finance industry Goodfellas without subtlety.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Went to the hugely overlong and generally grotesque The Wolf of Wall Street this afternoon. Di Caprio gives a stirling performance and you can see the part-charm of the foul, money-craving, amoral egotist at the centre of it all, but overall this for me was a set of sometimes pointless and repetitive scenes that use vulgar humour in its lengthy satire of the greedy in a way i didn't greatly enjoy. Matthew McConaghy is an early highlight, but he disappears way too soon and on we go with this series of farcical setpieces that often are 4 times the length they should be. A disappointment largely from what could have been in this generally misogynous and misanthropic finance industry Goodfellas without subtlety.

Bet he nearly made you CRY towards the end tho eh?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Bet he nearly made you CRY towards the end tho eh?

Yes, very much so. Purely in terms of me having to watch most of the Oscar-nominated fare and leaving the cinema in a partial huff. Tomorrow is American Hustle and i have a strong dislike for the director over his last few god-awful films.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, very much so. Purely in terms of me having to watch most of the Oscar-nominated fare and leaving the cinema in a partial huff. Tomorrow is American Hustle and i have a strong dislike for the director over his last few god-awful films.

If you were none too fussed about The Wolf you'll HATE American Hustle, same as everybody else really. it's sort of UNDERWHELMING :shrug:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Wolf of Wall Street.

This film is very good. At 3 hours it held your attention throughout. All round superb cast of actors. Di Caprio was magnificent and is surely one of the greats now. MConnaughy was also brilliant and has moved on from his pretty boy, musclebound, crap films stage and doing some really class roles such as Mud, Dallas Buyers Club and this.

He has gone back to being an actor of real ability again. Some seriously rude scenes and language and if you like full frontal female nudity with some hotties this is for you. All in all those those days were obscene and wrecked millions of lives, ordinary folk who were swept away after the Wall Street crash of 2008 and I feel the film did not really address this or comment on it infact as I thought it made them looks like Gods at times and their behaviour did not have a moral message.

Sure he lost it all at the end but then he didn't as he got 2 years in a holiday camp and is now a multi millionaire again. He served no justice of any sort and was from what the film depicted a vile human being. Maybe that was the point, just showing what happened and realising at the end of the day the guility ones served no justice at the final hour after the madness ended. A fascinating and brilliantly made film about some incredibly dark times and how money corrupts all.

I fear lessons were not learned and certain people would do it all over again given a chance.

Top quality.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I am seeing Wolf of Wall Street tomorrow so I will report back. Also it is 3 hours long which to me is pushing things a little unless it is something like Schindler's List. The upside is Di Caprio is a fantastic actor and one of my favourites.

US. One of the few men who can offer a two post review of a film before actually seeing it. :facepalm:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
US. One of the few men who can offer a two post review of a film before actually seeing it. :facepalm:

I have seen the film and my initital thoughts were infact correct. Scorcese is in awe of this bloke and it is more like a tribute to him. A great film but probably for all the wrong reasons. Also you have slated numerous films you have never seen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here