Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2014

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Just seen, no not me. I met Brad Pitt briefly, he spoke to us all before we started but not Shia Lebouf. I did meet Scott Eastwood though. My role is very small though.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Just seen, no not me. I met Brad Pitt briefly, he spoke to us all before we started but not Shia Lebouf. I did meet Scott Eastwood though. My role is very small though.

That is impressive.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
That is impressive.

Thanks mate, I'm doing okay last few months, got some good stuff coming up this year but it's a case of making hay while the sun shines as it comes in fits and starts. From what I've seen though Fury could be very good indeed.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Watched the Wolf of Wall Street the other day...... Brilliantly funny, and not at all what I was expecting.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Looking forward to, Godzilla, apes, transformers and sin city2.

Last year was pretty mediocre imo, best film i saw was probably Despicable me2.:angry:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
12 Years A Slave
Really good film, with some really good performances (something about brad pitt's accent was a little off, though). Powerful use of lingering shots, a lack of reliance on music to tell you how to feel so it doesn't feel overly sentimental. There are some loose threads, and at times it can feel like the story is jumping around, but thos are nitpicking, really. Very good.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Went to see 12 Years A Slave a couple of nights ago.

An astonishingly good film. It's not a film you 'enjoy'. I was listening to a review of the film, and he stated that people in the cinema just sat there almost numb at the end, not wanting to move. Exactly that happened last night at the Duke of York's - no-one moved.

It's hard to put into words the breakdown of every individual consideration of what makes it so great. It's the whole experience that envelopes you with relentless injustice that makes it a film you can't take your eyes off. As for the sign-off...

It works brilliantly on just about every level.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
ill add some more.. not sure if they are out yet

Dallas buyers club - you can see why Mathew mcconnaughy (sp) won a golden globe for his performance as a tough , partying rodeo man who gets aids... very very good
out of the furnace - Christian bale , very good thriller
all is lost - Robert redford stuck on a boat in the middle of nowhere . bit underwhelmed by this
open grave - surprised me this . very good with a good twist
prisoners - very good

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Went to see American Hustle the other night - very enjoyable. I like all of the main cast anyway and I thought they all gave strong performances. I heart Jennifer Lawrence

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I know it's essentially last years film, but finally saw Gravity (in 3D)

An absolute masterpiece of CGI - visually stunning, no doubt about that, superb physics. Good performance from Bullock, but overall a fairly weak and predictable plot. Enjoyable, tense and aesthetically pleasing cinema otherwise.

7/10

Agreed, it sort of out-Avatared Avatar. And to keep the tension up pretty effectively was no mean feat.

American Hustle was for me 6.5/10. I read somewhere that a lot of the dialogue was improvised, hence the ridiculously lengthy runtime and flabby middle. Needed a brutal edit.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Agreed, it sort of out-Avatared Avatar. And to keep the tension up pretty effectively was no mean feat.

American Hustle was for me 6.5/10. I read somewhere that a lot of the dialogue was improvised, hence the ridiculously lengthy runtime and flabby middle. Needed a brutal edit.

Agreed, I enjoyed it but it was too long. Snappy dressers though!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Hobbit 2 - The Desolation of Smaug. Very impressive action sequences but overlong at 141 minutes and lacking in character development. Martin Freeman was underused and the Hobbits became invincible in a fairly unrealistic way whilst hundreds of Orcs and the like perished around them, the group got through to the end with a mere leg wound ! Even managing to evade being toast from a 100 foot Dragon. It is a 7 from me for the action scenes.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Wolf of Wall Street is worth three hours of anybody's time. IMHO, like. Astounding performance from DiCaprio. Some say it should be half an hour shorter. I'm not one of these people. Top entertainment! 8/10

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Hobbit 2 - The Desolation of Smaug. Very impressive action sequences but overlong at 141 minutes and lacking in character development. Martin Freeman was underused and the Hobbits became invincible in a fairly unrealistic way whilst hundreds of Orcs and the like perished around them, the group got through to the end with a mere leg wound ! Even managing to evade being toast from a 100 foot Dragon. It is a 7 from me for the action scenes.

A friend who is a proper Tolkien nut saw it a little while ago and said it was rubbish due to the liberties taken by the scriptwriter(S). The film was very inaccurate compared to the original story and even included a female character who did not exist originally. The " Escape " scene you describe made him fume as it was totally contrived and a ridiculous gratuitous slaughter of Orcs. He said that he won't bother with the 3rd part at all.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
American Hustle i preferred to tWoWS.

The interview on utube with the real WoWS makes the movie come alive a little more.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The Wolf of Wall Street is worth three hours of anybody's time. IMHO, like. Astounding performance from DiCaprio. Some say it should be half an hour shorter. I'm not one of these people. Top entertainment! 8/10

3 hrs? Hmm..might pay extra for the comfy seats in that case

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
A friend who is a proper Tolkien nut saw it a little while ago and said it was rubbish due to the liberties taken by the scriptwriter(S). The film was very inaccurate compared to the original story and even included a female character who did not exist originally. The " Escape " scene you describe made him fume as it was totally contrived and a ridiculous gratuitous slaughter of Orcs. He said that he won't bother with the 3rd part at all.

It was'nt a bad film it was just far too long. The Hobbits became invincible whilst hundreds of better equiped around them died which after a while became totally unconvincing as they were the least likely to survive such an onslaught. Also they managed to evade a massive dragon to boot. After 2 hours people were texting on mobiles and disengaged.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here