Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2009

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Bad Boy Bubby 8/10

Is one sick puppy who fucks his mummy

I saw that when I was in college, the picture wasn't the clearest, but it was certainly the sickest film I'd seen at the time. I have since watched visitor q which starts with a man videoing himself as he pays his prostitute daughter to have sex with him, she proceeds to laugh at his premature ejaculation, and that's just the first 5 minutes. It gets worse.

Dorian Gray
Decent film. Nothing special, but nothing particularly wrong with it, plenty of debauchery.

Julie and Julia
Rather good, but probably will be appreciated more by women, or men who like films that appeal to women. Don't watch it on an empty stomach.

charlieoatway

through thin and thin
Aug 22, 2009
Bristol
I will apologise for the list first as I am a complete film:tosser:

I have seen most of these films at the Watershed Cinema (Bristols answer to the Duke of York's, God bless it)

1. Let the right one in : Swedish vampire/horror coming of age pic, Superb

2. Moon : Sci-fi films as they used to and should be made, a must see

3. The Hurt Locker : incredibly intense film about bomb disposal squad in Iraq

4. Star Trek : touted as a regeneration of the sci-fi series, just a great action film

5. Terminator Salvation : as good as T2

6. Frozen River : the sundance winner that has actually been successful.

7. Mid August Lunch : Italian comedy, where a son is duped into looking after four elderly ladies, while the rest of Italy goes on holiday, take your granny to see it

8. Modern Life : documentary about a french farming community, really very good, honestly.

Other honourable mentions to District 9, the Yes Man, Mesrine 1 & 2 and Sleep furiously.

Best DVD of the year : Jar City

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Crank 2 - High Voltage

UTTER UTTER UTTER UTTER UTTER UTTER UTTER UTTRE UTTER UTTER UTTER GASH

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
District 9.

Hated it for not having the courage of it's convictions early inthe film. A thought provoking political story gave way to one of the most cliched action films I have ever seen.
It even had the old "leave me here I'm done for" "no I won't leave you" moment and lots of "go, go, go!" I was expecting a lot more and what there was I had seen before and better in Alien, The Fly, The Fugitive etc.

The Assination of Jessie James by the woward Bob Ford= 5

Expected a lot, great reviews, but generally failed to get my interest. Ms LC fell asleep.

Brad Pitt didn't seem to get into the role.

These were meant to be groteasque murderers, but I never really got a sense of that.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
District 9.

Hated it for not having the courage of it's convictions early in the film. A thought provoking political story gave way to one of the most cliched action films I have ever seen.
It even had the old "leave me here I'm done for" "no I won't leave you" moment and lots of "go, go, go!" I was expecting a lot more and what there was I had seen before and better in Alien, The Fly, The Fugitive etc.

Ironically, I disliked it for entirely the opposite reasons. I loved the last 30 mins. What could have been a decent action movie was bogged down by the "thought provoking political story." A story that was neither original (remember Alien Nation??) or well conceived (Aliens land in modern day Johannesburg and South Africa has the financial and military power to avoid being instantly invaded by the rest of the world all wanting to get in on the first contact action????????)

And interesting that The Fly was mentioned because some parts were shamelessly ripped off from that movie (pulling his teeth out in front of the mirror????)

Other parts of the whole plot I had difficulty in suspending my disbelief with too and it wasn't til it got to the simple "Earthling trying to help his alien mate get home" part that I started liking it.

Last edited:

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Ironically, I disliked it for entirely the opposite reasons. I loved the last 30 mins. What could have been a decent action movie was bogged down by the "thought provoking political story." A story that was neither original (remember Alien Nation??) or well conceived (Aliens land in modern day Johannesburg and South Africa has the financial and military power to avoid being instantly invaded by the rest of the world all wanting to get in on the first contact action????????)

And interesting that The Fly was mentioned because some parts were shamelessly ripped off from that movie (pulling his teeth out in front of the mirror????)

Other parts of the whole plot I had difficulty in suspending my disbelief with too and it wasn't til it got to the simple "Earthling trying to help his alien mate get home" part that I started liking it.

Totally agree. I can enjoy a good 'ol action romp but I just wish this hadn't pretended to be somehting else. Cloverfield is a good example of a no-brainer action/monster movie that did what it set out to do. Entertain. I thought District 9 was a mess of two genres with a lot of borrowed material when it descended into brainless action mode.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Eagle vs Shark 7.1
Enjoyable, wierd (un)romantic comedy with that chap from Flight of the Concords in

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Adventureland - i knew i'd love this as soon as i heard The Replacements' Bastards of Young playing through the opening credits and then in an early scene the main character was wearing a Neil Young tour shirt :clap: not for everyone, and basically just an indie teen rom-com based in 1987, but i thought it was clever, very funny in places and well acted. 8.5/10 from me.

followed this up with Whiteout - which was cliched hokem, probably scraping just a 5/10, couldn't really recommend it to anyone but not a disaster.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Gamer
M'eh. Running Man was much better. I thought the film would follow Gerard Butler in the game, but he gets out early and seeks revenge on those that put him in it pretty soon. The film does have what every dystopian future-set commentary on society's fixation with video games, and their increased realism: A dance number! Seriously.

Sorority Row
If I was 10-15 years younger, I'm sure I would have thoroughly enjoyed it. Unfortnately I'm not. The younger crowd in the cinema seemed to enjoy it, jumping and screaming at the scary parts, laughing at some of the bitchy/funny lines So if you're in your late teens, you might like it.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Mesrine - A solid 8.5

Really enjoyed this, fantastic story, great sequences, great character and one of this generations finest actors Vincent Cassell knocking spots off pretenders like Christian Bale. Superb

District 9 - 4

Bit messy but good in parts.

Saw District 9 last night, and agree with plenty of previous comments; it was caught between two stools. I preferred the first part of the film to the straight up action at the end, and thought that the whole thing was completely predictable after the opening 30 minutes. Probably a 7 from me as, despite all the above, I did enjoy it; I just thought it could have been better.

Based on the last 30 mins though, I'd love to see Jackson make a real Gundam/Mechwarrior type movie. ;)

Interestingly, this film only got made because interest waned in the Halo movie they were originally going to make.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Sorority Row, cross between I know what you did last summer and Scream. I thought it good, espically the twist at the end. 7.6/10

i would give this film a big fat ZERO. not scary, not funny (and i like films that are so bad they're good), totally predictable ("the twist" !!! :lol:), no redeemimg features at all (ok, a few flashed tits i suppose). thank god i didn't pay for this film. do not waste any of your hard earned on this mess.

Bought and Watched the original "inglorious Bastards"

Good film, funniest moment being when 3 of the yanks are playing in the stream with 10naked women, then the black guy comes along and they realise that the men are american and get the guns and start shooting

7/10

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here